Replies: 10389
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:36:52 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

CP Rail Exec: Unions Created The Middle Class

Started by Romero, January 18, 2014, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romero

QuoteNow here's something you don't see every day: A senior exec at a major Canadian company defending unions.

That's what happened at a recent roundtable discussion on the future of organized labour put together by Canadian HR Reporter, when Canadian Pacific's vice-president for human resources and labour relations, Peter Edwards, credited unions with the creation of the modern middle class.

"When you talk to anyone remotely connected to the world, they understand the role of unions providing what we have today," he said.

"They're a key driver in the creation of the middle-class, for the reduction of work hours, paid vacation, all sorts of benefits that we all enjoy."

Edwards suggested unions are suffering from an identity crisis as the economy shifts away from manufacturing, their traditional stronghold.

"There is a certain image they're predominantly blue collar, or they're government workers. And gee, I'm neither of those, so where do I fit in? Where are the people that are like me? And what can you offer me in the future?"

Others on the panel noted that unions in Canada are at a crucial crossroads. The "elephant in the room," said labour lawyer Jamie Knight, is the rise of "right-to-work" states in the U.S., where union members are given the choice not to pay union dues, a move critics say has undermined unions and driven down wages.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/18/canadian-pacific-exec-unions_n_4624038.html">//http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/18/canadian-pacific-exec-unions_n_4624038.html

Rambo Wong

Chinese built the railroad and then white supremist Canadians put a head tax on the Chinese so that Chinese couldn't come to Canada because white supremists didn't want us.

">

Rambo Wong

Funny I don't hear any of you racist sinophobic crap'n drool fruitcake morons singing this song

">

Anonymous

Mr Edwards boss, Hunter Harrison has spent his celebrated career on the railway breaking the backs of unions whenever he can. From Illinois Central to CN to CP that CEO has been no fan of organized labour.