The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Trudeau dropped ball with vaccine plan

Started by Anonymous, November 27, 2020, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Trudeau has always been too little too late or nothing at all throughout this pandemic. Americans, thanks to Trump's Operation Warp Speed will start vaccinations in two weeks. Canadians could be waiting and dying until spring.

By former Liberal strategist Warren Kinsella for Sun News Media

Trudeau dropped ball with vaccine plan

Politics is all about symbols.

So is the growing vaccine scandal in Canada. It doesn't have a name yet, but it is growing.

The scandal, as everyone should know by now, is this: Our allies are going to start vaccinating their citizens in a matter of days.

The British have more than 1,000 vaccination locations that will be operating seven days a week starting next week. Two weeks after that, the United States will commence vaccinating millions of its citizens every month.

The Germans and other allies, too, will kick-start massive vaccination programs in December.

In Canada, none of that is going to be happening. In fact, the federal government can't even tell us when we will be receiving a life-saving anti-COVID jab.

Trump and his administration instituted Operation Warp Speed, a massive and integrated effort to get vaccines delivered to state governments. From there, into the arms of American health-care workers and the most vulnerable.

If he has any legacy at all, it will be that: Trump actually delivered the vaccine to Americans pretty quickly.

So did Britain's Boris Johnson and Germany's Angela Merkel.

[size=150]Trudeau? He has indisputably and spectacularly dropped the ball. He had months to develop and implement a plan to ensure Canadians receive the same vaccines that our allies are going to be getting at the same time. He failed.

[/size]

He has survived many other scandals — Aga Khan, SNC-Lavalin, WE Charity. He has had more lives than a cat. But his nine lives may be running out. His luck may be running out.

Trudeau's failure to get a vaccine for Canadians may well be his.

Anonymous

By Brian Lilley of Sun News Media

Clarity short, too

Hard to get info on in-demand COVID vaccines

If one thing is clear about Justin Trudeau's vaccine plan for Canada, it's that nothing is clear. Last week, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott announced that she expected her province to receive 2.4 million doses of vaccine starting in January.

Neither Trudeau nor federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu had been able to give a clear answer in the House of Commons.

Dr. Howard Njoo said that Canada should see six million doses in the first quarter of 2021, but called that an "optimistic projection." Since the leading vaccines require two doses per person, that would mean just 3 million people in a country of 37 million would get a vaccine.

Premier Doug Ford said that he would be pushing for answers during a Thursday afternoon call with Trudeau.

"We can't have our neighbours down in the states and everywhere else getting vaccines and Canada's waiting three months as their economy starts taking off, when they have have the vaccine and we're sitting back, you know, twiddling our thu thumbs wondering when we're going to get it," Ford said. If Ford and the other premiers were hoping for clarity when the they spoke to Trudeau late Thursday, they didn't get it. A source in one provincial government said the prime minister offered premiers no new information on vaccine delivery to clear up what had been a week of confusing statements from the Trudeau government.

A source with another provincial government said that the feds said they expected the first delivery of vaccines to happen in January and February, but that it could be March.

In Britain, they are booking appointments for their priority patients. In the United States, they are looking at the first shots being administered in mid-December.

In Canada, we are told that we will get a small amount of vaccines in the first quarter, which ends March 31.

Trudeau's grand plan looks like it will leave Canadians waiting and wanting.

Anonymous

As political consultant David Herle, host of the excellent Herle Burly podcast tweeted this week: Every day that a vaccine is being distributed in the U.S. but not Canada will be the worst day of the Trudeau government's life.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=392106 time=1606508128 user_id=3254
As political consultant David Herle, host of the excellent Herle Burly podcast tweeted this week: Every day that a vaccine is being distributed in the U.S. but not Canada will be the worst day of the Trudeau government's life.

That will be hard to watch everyday. Line ups of Americans getting vaccinated while new infections soar in Canada. Thanks Trudeau, you inept goof.

cc

Canada does not currently have the specific capacity to manufacture a COVID-19 vaccine,

unlike Western nations including Germany, France and Italy

and middle-income countries like Mexico and Argentina

Humiliating and anger making

I'm seething.  I will not get over it
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=392113 time=1606513096 user_id=88
Canada does not currently have the specific capacity to manufacture a COVID-19 vaccine,

All over South side Winnipeg you see bumper stickers that read F*ck Trudeau. They will sell out of them once we start seeing Americans and Brits getting vaccinated while we wait, and wait, and wait.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=392113 time=1606513096 user_id=88

In things were ideal in Canada Trudeau would b charged with criminal dereliction of duty.

Frood

Trudeau looks like his balls have never dropped...
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=392127 time=1606523472 user_id=1676
Trudeau looks like his balls have never dropped...

His performance as pm has been child like.

Anonymous

The CBC, as usual, is providing cover for Trudeau's lack of leadership on vaccines.

Thiel

Quote from: Herman post_id=392140 time=1606529294 user_id=1689
The CBC, as usual, is providing cover for Trudeau's lack of leadership on vaccines.

Oh, I know. Meanwhile, they are trying to bury the premier of Alberta with a misleading story about him not listening to the provincial chief medical officer.
gay, conservative and proud

cc

Quote from: Thiel post_id=392155 time=1606535614 user_id=1688
 Meanwhile, they are trying to bury the premier of Alberta with a misleading story about him not listening to the provincial chief medical officer.

Covering for a liberal is what the CBC (and others) do. It's always been "their calling" going back many decades

That said, I'm not sure if that is actual fact in Alberta as I don't know the facts of what has been going on

I have heard of a great divide between politician element  & health dept element that is quite ugly of late.

It sounds not only ugly, but very destructive to progress and affects the population

Maybe Fash would fill us in on the intricacies of it & as to who is actually at fault on it ?

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=392208 time=1606582628 user_id=88
Quote from: Thiel post_id=392155 time=1606535614 user_id=1688
 Meanwhile, they are trying to bury the premier of Alberta with a misleading story about him not listening to the provincial chief medical officer.

Covering for a liberal is what the CBC (and others) do. It's always been "their calling" going back many decades

That said, I'm not sure if that is actual fact in Alberta as I don't know the facts of what has been going on

I have heard of a great divide between politician element  & health dept element that is quite ugly of late.

It sounds not only ugly, but very destructive to progress and affects the population

Maybe Fash would fill us in on the intricacies of it & as to who is actually at fault on it ?

It seems Thiel is close to the truth..

The CBC recordings have parts of a conversation..

Dr Hinshaw presents a number of recommendations and their potential benefits and consequences, and it's up to the cabinet to decide on which ones to enact..

Premier Kenney has has said that all restrictions must be evidence based..

Dr Hinshaw agrees, but the recording didn't show that.

cc

Thanks Fash .. So partial clip used against a not-left govt ... and they are actually on the same page

I have seen only limited material on Hinshaw, but she seems pretty OK as does the govt

Anonymous

By Brian Lilley of Sun News Media

Fumble Fumble Fumble

Rollout to be done by September

Canadians watching Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attempting to explain away why he has no answers on when we might see COVID19 vaccines arrive relative to other countries might be forgiven for yelling out one of the internet's favourite ripostes, "You had one job!"

Asked time and again by reporters when we might see a vaccine given the U.K. is already booking appointments and the U.S. is looking at a roll out two weeks from now, Trudeau fumbled all over the place, often attempting bad sports analogies.

"I know people are really eager to find out when are we going to get that starting line, when are we going to start giving people vaccines," Trudeau said. "What really matters is when we get to cross the finish line."

It's an interesting line and one that might work on those who don't think about the implications. The PM doesn't want us to think about when we will start deploying vaccines because we will undoubtedly be behind other countries. There is also the problem that when you start later in a race like this you finish later.

At one point Trudeau promised the majority of Canadians would be vaccinated by next September, later he said more than half could be vaccinated by that time. That's a long ten months and the PM isn't able to tell us much about Canada's chances for a quick vaccination.

Given all the vague comments, the wiggle room, the obfuscation, I have serious doubts about that many Canadians being vaccinated by September. There are reports the Americans will wrap up their vaccination program by June. I'm thinking we will just be getting under way then.

It is understandable that with vaccines yet approved, the government may not have exact dates on when they will receive shipments. But if the Brits and Americans do, then surely we could get a general estimate. Instead, we have bureaucrats saying we could get six million doses, enough for three million people, or 8% of the population, "in the first quarter" and even calling that estimate "optimistic."

[size=150]The real question is why we will be so far behind other countries in getting vaccines and the answer is because we started later. [/size]The U.S. and U.K. not only negotiated deals earlier, they also have domestic manufacturing, which puts them at an advantage.

We are also behind Belgium, Mexico, India and Indonesia, countries with a combined population of 2.5 billion, as Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole pointed out in the House of Commons on Wednesday.

"Canadians need to see a real plan for vaccines," O'Toole said.

Sadly, there isn't one. The federal government's role in responding to COVID19 directly has been limited. Most of the response takes place at the provincial level where they run the health systems. I can point to mistakes and successes for every single province, none have been prefect, but they have all done some things right.

I[size=150] struggle to find what the federal government has done right on COVID-19. They didn't deal with the border and travellers bringing the virus in from China, then Europe and the U.S. On the issue of PPE, they shipped 16 tonnes to China and had greatly diminished Canada's National Emergency Strategic Stockpile ahead of the pandemic.[/size]

If the government hadn't dumped the early warning system we would have known about the pandemic and the real problems earlier as well.

On rent and wage subsidies, on support for students — otherwise known as the WE Scandal — the government messed up.

Now on the vaccine, they have dropped the ball again. I wish I could say that I'm surprised but it is sadly part of a pattern.

Canadians need to see a real plan for vaccines." Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole