Started by Anonymous, December 27, 2020, 02:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=438608 time=1644548483 user_id=61
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=438595 time=1644542865 user_id=3254
Quote from: Zetsu post_id=438594 time=1644541862 user_id=61
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=438591 time=1644539839 user_id=3254
Quote from: Zetsu post_id=438588 time=1644539329 user_id=61

Looks like you've already beat me to it, this is already Finland were cold weather should help preserve the lithium-ion battery's life span by double, yet it died in 10 years, which points to the obvious issue, EVs have no resale value.

Cold weather extends ev battery life?

I know cold weather reduces the time between charges.

From batteryuniversity.com 's research, they say lithium-ion batteries left at 0 degrees Celsius temperature deteriorates at half the speed compared to at room temp / 25 degrees C.  Unless the sub zero temperature of Finland might have ruined the battery's chemical compound, this is something I'm not too familiar with.

By deteriorate you mean they need recharging sooner?

Exactly, simply charge or energy holding capacity has been downsized.

I thought they worked the same as regular car battery or even a flashlight battery..

They get worn down faster in extreme cold.

Frood

Lithium ion or LIPO4 batteries degrade if you discharge them in freezing temperatures and the btu's required to keep them warm would tax the rated capacity.
Blahhhhhh...

Zetsu

Out of all these years digging up info on batteries, this is the first time knowing this.  ac_drinks
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Electric vehicles are an expensive(for taxpayers) toy for the most affluent.

Price Shock: Mercedes Hybrid Driver Stunned After Learning New Battery Costs More Than Value Of Car!

Leicester resident Ranjit Singh had bought the 8-year old hybrid car from a Mercedes-Benz dealership 4 years ago, paying some £27,000. At the time it had 80,000 km on it.

Four years later, last month, the pensioner took it in for repair work and was "horrified" after learning the replacement battery would come with the hefty price tag of £15,000  plus the hourly wage of £200! To make matters worse, the pensioner researched to check the vehicle's value: the Mercedes hybrid was only worth £12,850 according to Auto Trader .

Singh told LeicestershireLive: "I'm horrified by what has happened. I feel I now have just two options – scrap the eight-year-old car or spend more than it is worth."

Singh is not alone with this unpleasant experience. A search in Internet forums revealed many customers had the same problem. After 8 years the batteries are spent, and it makes little economic sense to replace them. When equipped with conventional fossil fuel engines, running a Mercedes 20 years is not uncommon. Hybrid and e-cars are no match at all when it comes to vehicle lifetime economy.

Subsidies for the wealthiest 20 per cent

Danish economist Björn Lomborg noted on Facebook e-cars are not cost-effective and are turning out to be second vehicles for the rich.

According to the UK's online Daily Mail here, citing a study by the U.S. National Bureau of Economic Research, "almost all electric car subsidies go to the wealthiest 20 per cent, for whom the purchase of an extra car is no great sacrifice. In addition, 90 per cent of electric car owners also have a fossil-fuel vehicle they use for longer journeys."

More dangerous

Another drawback: the journal Nature suggests electric cars "will likely kill more occupants of other vehicles in traffic accidents" because of their higher weight.

https://notrickszone.com/2022/02/11/price-shock-mercedes-hybrid-driver-stunned-after-learning-new-battery-costs-more-than-value-of-car/?fbclid=IwAR0eyELUaKIG2k7iekwrNLg4BR5CZgkoEenKCws6XHJ2fOn08zPz9qpapNs">https://notrickszone.com/2022/02/11/pri ... zPz9qpapNs">https://notrickszone.com/2022/02/11/price-shock-mercedes-hybrid-driver-stunned-after-learning-new-battery-costs-more-than-value-of-car/?fbclid=IwAR0eyELUaKIG2k7iekwrNLg4BR5CZgkoEenKCws6XHJ2fOn08zPz9qpapNs

Odinson

Electric car insurance payments are double the amount than that of a gas car.

Electric cars are in more accidents... The leftist sissies cant drive.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=440396 time=1645342289 user_id=136

That I did not know.

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=440410 time=1645375612 user_id=114
Quote from: Odinson post_id=440396 time=1645342289 user_id=136

That I did not know.

Does make sense. Leftist sissies supposed males didn't get the "things mechanical" genes at birth
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Look at this.

:ohmy:
EV batteries could complicate recovery of burning cargo ship with thousands of cars

The ship contains thousands of Audis, Porsches, Lamborghinis, and Bentleys

A bunch of burning lithium-ion batteries could complicate the recovery of the massive, abandoned cargo ship in the Atlantic Ocean containing thousands of Porsches, Volkswagens, Bentleys, and Lamborghinis.

The batteries of an unknown number of electric vehicles have caught fire aboard the ship, captain Joao Mendes Cabecas of the port of Hortas, which is the nearest port to the ship's location, told Reuters. It's unclear at this time whether the batteries are what sparked the fire. Experts in putting out battery fires will be needed to extinguish the blaze.

"The ship is burning from one end to the other... everything is on fire about five meters above the water line," Reuters quotes Cabeças saying.

"The ship is burning from one end to the other... everything is on fire about five meters above the water line," Reuters quotes Cabeças saying.

The Felicity Ace was heading from Germany to a port in Rhode Island when it issued distress signals Wednesday morning, reporting a fire in one of its cargo decks. All 22 crew members were successfully evacuated and did not need medical attention, according to a statement by the Portuguese Navy.

The owner of the vessel is now developing a plan to recover the abandoned ship. Towing boats are en route from Gibraltar and the Netherlands and are expected to arrive at the ship's location next week.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/18/22940790/cargo-ship-fire-vw-porsche-lamborghini-ev-battery">https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/18/2294 ... ev-battery">https://www.theverge.com/2022/2/18/22940790/cargo-ship-fire-vw-porsche-lamborghini-ev-battery

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=440430 time=1645388262 user_id=88
Oh, WOW!!

Huge environmental mess

It's been posted before on this forum what serious fire hazard ev's are......this accident on the Atlantic is proof of that.

cc

Yes, have posted some myself on fire & unable to put out  .. as have others

Further:

"The fire spread further down," he said, explaining that teams could only tackle the fire from outside by cooling down the ship's structure as it was too dangerous to go on board.

They also cannot use water because adding weight to the ship could make it more unstable, and traditional water extinguishers do not stop lithium-ion batteries from burning, Cabeças said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/volkswagen-cargo-portugal-idUSL8N2UV08I">https://www.reuters.com/article/volkswa ... SL8N2UV08I">https://www.reuters.com/article/volkswagen-cargo-portugal-idUSL8N2UV08I

Lithium +++ Pollution Personified

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=440432 time=1645389308 user_id=88
Yes, have posted some myself on fire & unable to put out  .. as have others

Further:

"The fire spread further down," he said, explaining that teams could only tackle the fire from outside by cooling down the ship's structure as it was too dangerous to go on board.

They also cannot use water because adding weight to the ship could make it more unstable, and traditional water extinguishers do not stop lithium-ion batteries from burning, Cabeças said.

Electric vehicle fires seem very difficult to extringuish.

cc

This ship may eventually go down and batteries keep burning. Even if it doesn't the deadly pollution is extreme

Electric Cars .. Saving the world from pollution  .... uh hu

Anonymous

I don't know anybody that owns an electric car. I would never own one as long as I live in Winnipeg.

Bricktop

A point well made, above.

If fossil fuels are bad for the environment, wait til the find out what the excess lithium will do.

"It is expected that lithium will be recycled from end-of-life lithium-ion batteries in the future[154] but as of 2020, batteries are not designed for recycling, the technology is not well developed, and recycling rates are 5% or lower.[155] In any case, the most valuable component is likely to remain the NCM cathode material, and the recovery of this material is expected to be the driver.[156]"