Replies: 10386
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:44 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Reggie Essent

A

Saudis Nervous About N. America's Oil/Gas Development

Started by Anonymous, January 13, 2014, 02:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

America's shale oil/gas boom plus Western Canadian heavy oil production represent the greatest threat to Saudi Arabia and OPEC. I wonder if they are financing that other old fossil fuel Neil Young's anti-Canadian tour? :?  
QuoteSaudi Arabia has noticed Canada's booming oil and gas industry — and they don't like what they see.

You could even say they're scared.

That's the panicky message in a 14-page memo written to Saudi Arabia's energy ministry by Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, an influential member of the Saudi royal family.

He desperately warns them that Saudi Arabia's energy dominance is at risk, including from oil and gas developments in western democracies.

And he mentions Canada by name.

Al-Waleed isn't just another pundit or oil-rich Arab sheikh. He's an international tycoon who has built a vast empire of holdings, including large stakes in Twitter, Four Seasons hotels and other prestigious western companies.

But he's also a prince. And when he speaks to the western media he often uses the word "we." As in, he speaks for more than just himself, if not quite for the Saudi king.

Which is why his memo should be studied closely by Canadian diplomats, oil and gas executives, and CSIS.

Here are some excerpts, translated from the original Arabic:

"In addition to the many discoveries of oil and gas in the U.S., Canada and Australia, there are also great discoveries of shale gas, which will lead to a reduction of consumption of our oil," Al-Waleed writes.

That's a clear reference to Alberta's oilsands, as well as the fracking-led natural gas boom across the west — and possibly one day soon in New Brunswick.

"But I do not see any plan of the state on this matter," continues Al-Waleed.

"The Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources has a great responsibility to bring these fateful issues to a discussion, debate and internal dialogue, but to this day it has not been done."

The prince thinks the kingdom is in denial, hoping that fracking and the oilsands — and the competition to OPEC that they represent — will just go away.

For 40 years Saudi Arabia has had the west over a barrel, controlling the price of oil through its market dominance and its use of the OPEC cartel. But oilsands and fracking put that in jeopardy.

As Al-Waleed notes, 92% of Saudi Arabia's revenues are from oil and gas.

Take that away, and the kingdom — and his family's luxurious perch — face an existential threat.

Al-Waleed said these technologies aren't a risk today. But they could be very soon:

"At the moment there are no risks to the Saudi economy as a result of the production of this type of gas. But we were also hoping that your Highness would shed a light and focus on the seriousness of this matter sooner than later, especially since the United States and some Asian countries have made great discoveries in the extraction of shale gas, which inevitably will have an effect on the global oil industry in general and Saudi Arabia in particular."

Al-Waleed mentions Canadian energy again. Along with the words "the threat."

"We believe that the threat is inevitably coming from shale gas, which (its production) is increased at high rates in the U.S. and Canada ... For us the issue is clear and it requires swift actions."

What swift actions would those be?

Saudi Arabia already pumps millions of dollars into Canadian mosques, ensuring that Canadian imams preach the extremist Wahhabi interpretation of Islam favoured by the likes of Osama bin Laden.

Saudi Arabia has a vigourous presence in Ottawa, not just through their embassy but through a phalanx of government relations consultants.

And, of course, in countries like Syria, Saudi Arabia pursues its interests by funding armed jihadists.

So what might Saudi Arabia's "swift actions" include in Canada?

Hopefully not eco-terrorism.

But given the panicky tone of this high-ranking Saudi prince, and his dictatorship's penchant for buying influence, it's probably worth asking Canadian environmental lobbyists if they receive any funding from OPEC to fight Canadian oil and gas.

Perhaps it's a question Foreign Minister John Baird might put to Al-Waleed or the Saudi ambassador.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/saudi-letter-concerning-oil-and-gas-has-panicky-tone">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/s ... nicky-tone">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/saudi-letter-concerning-oil-and-gas-has-panicky-tone

Anonymous

They couldn't win the scientific argument, so violence is the last resort of a anarchist loser. I wonder how much money the Saudis/OPEC will channel to their allies in North America who will do their bidding for them?
QuoteIf the burning of RCMP cars and violent tussles with police in Rexton, N.B., shocked you last fall, then get ready — you ain't seen nothing yet.

Environmental radicals are gearing up to fight the Northern Gateway pipeline using violence if need be.

The pipeline, which would take oil from Edmonton to the B.C. port of Kitimat, was granted conditional approval by the National Energy Board in December.

They have 209 conditions to meet and they also need the approval of the federal cabinet.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper told a business audience in Vancouver on Monday the approval was not a done deal, but it is a pretty sure bet the approval will eventually come.

So environmentalists, having failed to stop this through the regulatory process, are looking to use whatever means possible, including violence.

An article in Vancouver's left-wing street paper the Georgia Straight highlights the views of Ambrose Williams, a young man who travelled from Vancouver to New Brunswick for last fall's fight against fracking and is now back in B.C. to fight the pipeline.

"He stressed that he neither encourages nor condones sabotage and other acts of destruction," the paper said of Williams, but then quoted him as saying "anything like that is acceptable if the cause is just. And stopping the pipeline is a just cause."

So, let me get this straight, Williams won't condone violence but violence is acceptable if the cause is just. Oh, and he sees stopping a pipeline as just.

Shannon Hecker, a UBC anthropology student also interviewed for the story, told the Straight that when it comes to using violence, "That depends on your willingness to commit.

"I don't want to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. But we all need to be aware that this is a war."

Let's be clear here, war is coming and it will be waged by environmental radicals.

People were shocked last year when the Harper government warned of radicals, but they shouldn't be. All you have to do is listen to these people in their own words.

In the book Deep Green Resistance, published in 2011, Canadian writer Aric McBay puts forward what he calls the four ways to confront those in power.

"Obstruction and occupation; Reclamation and expropriation; Property and material destruction (threats or acts); Violence against humans (threats or acts)."

This book describes how above-ground and underground cells of the green movement can work together or in isolation.

It describes how to conduct sabotage and even how to pick an assassination target.

The statement of principles of the Deep Green Resistance group makes it clear that no action is off the table.

"Our task is to create a life-centered resistance movement that will dismantle industrial civilization by any means necessary."

Any means necessary. Like stealing private property, like intimidating the media, like torching police cars, like having a weapons stockpile at a so-called peaceful protest, like blowing up a pipeline, spiking the tree, stopping the construction of a lawful project, like a pipeline.

All of this has already happened in Canada and more will come.

It's time for Canada's mainstream environmental movement and their allies on the left and in organized labour to make clear and unequivocal statements on violence.

Will they support opposition to the pipeline if it includes violence?

I won't hold my breath waiting for the answer.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/09/this-is-a-war">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/09/this-is-a-war

Anonymous

They couldn't win the scientific argument, so violence is the last resort of a anarchist loser. I wonder how much money the Saudis/OPEC will channel to their allies in North America who will do their bidding for them?
QuoteIf the burning of RCMP cars and violent tussles with police in Rexton, N.B., shocked you last fall, then get ready — you ain't seen nothing yet.

Environmental radicals are gearing up to fight the Northern Gateway pipeline using violence if need be.

The pipeline, which would take oil from Edmonton to the B.C. port of Kitimat, was granted conditional approval by the National Energy Board in December.

They have 209 conditions to meet and they also need the approval of the federal cabinet.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper told a business audience in Vancouver on Monday the approval was not a done deal, but it is a pretty sure bet the approval will eventually come.

So environmentalists, having failed to stop this through the regulatory process, are looking to use whatever means possible, including violence.

An article in Vancouver's left-wing street paper the Georgia Straight highlights the views of Ambrose Williams, a young man who travelled from Vancouver to New Brunswick for last fall's fight against fracking and is now back in B.C. to fight the pipeline.

"He stressed that he neither encourages nor condones sabotage and other acts of destruction," the paper said of Williams, but then quoted him as saying "anything like that is acceptable if the cause is just. And stopping the pipeline is a just cause."

So, let me get this straight, Williams won't condone violence but violence is acceptable if the cause is just. Oh, and he sees stopping a pipeline as just.

Shannon Hecker, a UBC anthropology student also interviewed for the story, told the Straight that when it comes to using violence, "That depends on your willingness to commit.

"I don't want to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. But we all need to be aware that this is a war."

Let's be clear here, war is coming and it will be waged by environmental radicals.

People were shocked last year when the Harper government warned of radicals, but they shouldn't be. All you have to do is listen to these people in their own words.

In the book Deep Green Resistance, published in 2011, Canadian writer Aric McBay puts forward what he calls the four ways to confront those in power.

"Obstruction and occupation; Reclamation and expropriation; Property and material destruction (threats or acts); Violence against humans (threats or acts)."

This book describes how above-ground and underground cells of the green movement can work together or in isolation.

It describes how to conduct sabotage and even how to pick an assassination target.

The statement of principles of the Deep Green Resistance group makes it clear that no action is off the table.

"Our task is to create a life-centered resistance movement that will dismantle industrial civilization by any means necessary."

Any means necessary. Like stealing private property, like intimidating the media, like torching police cars, like having a weapons stockpile at a so-called peaceful protest, like blowing up a pipeline, spiking the tree, stopping the construction of a lawful project, like a pipeline.

All of this has already happened in Canada and more will come.

It's time for Canada's mainstream environmental movement and their allies on the left and in organized labour to make clear and unequivocal statements on violence.

Will they support opposition to the pipeline if it includes violence?

I won't hold my breath waiting for the answer.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/09/this-is-a-war">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/09/this-is-a-war

Anonymous

Thanks to big billionaires South of the border who want Canada captive and subsidizing US energy we will have more crude hauled by rail.
QuoteAs of the time of writing, two tanker cars remained on fire at the scene of a CN oil train derailment that occurred Tuesday near Plaster Rock, N.B. The 150 residents whose homes were within two kilometres of the crash were still evacuated.

Along with the fiery derailment of a mile-long BNSF Railway oil train near Casselton, N.D., between Christmas and new year's and, of course, the horrific disaster at Lac-Megantic, Que., last summer, the safety of transporting crude oil, natural gas and refined petroleum products by rail is top of mind at the moment.

So how come it seems as if the continent's railroads have suddenly become oily infernos? (And, no, it's not, as the NDP have insisted, because Prime Minister Stephen Harper has relaxed safety regulations.) The prevalence of dangerous derailments is a new thing because, believe it or not, transporting large amounts of oil by rail is a relatively new thing.

Last year, just 5% of Canada's oil shipments went by rail, but even that was nearly double the year before and almost five times the amount in 2009.

Before 2009, very little petroleum moved to refineries by rail.

The numbers are very similar in the U.S.

Because oil companies are pumping their product out of the ground faster than pipelines are expanding, transporting oil by rail has become a necessity. A large part of the problem, of course, has been caused by governments and environmentalists standing in the way of new pipeline construction.Pipelines are safer — by far — and less likely to foul the environment, too. Yet "green" politicians and activists have done everything they can (including threatening eco-terrorism) to obstruct pipeline construction.

So we're stuck with oil-by-rail.

Frankly, rail transport can be made much safer. And it should be, because even if major pipelines such as Keystone XL and Northern Gateway are eventually built, the demand for oil is likely to outstrip pipeline capacity for years to come.

Oil will need to get to markets, refineries and marine terminals by rail, so the Harper government in Canada and the Obama administration in the U.S. had better get used to it and regulate accordingly. (Indeed, in recent weeks both governments have moved to improve the safety of oil-by-rail.) But politicians of all stripes and at all levels also need to get out of the way of pipeline building.

In a study produced for the Fraser Institute last fall by environmental scientist Kenneth Green, the safety of pipelines was shown to be 30 times better than that of rail and37 times that of truck transport. The incidence of injury to workers requiring hospitalization was a tiny fraction on pipelines compared to what it was on railroads and highways.

Equally importantly, pipelines were much safer for the environment.

There were just 0.6 leaks per billion ton-miles along pipelines, compared to two leaks per billion for rail and 20 leaks for highway haulers.

Every day in North America, vast quantities of oil ship via pipeline without incident. The trouble is, although pipelines leak very little of the oil they carry, when they do leak, the spills are more dramatic.

It's like air travel vs. highway driving: On a passenger-mile basis, air travel is safer. It's just that the crashes are bigger news.

Last year across North America, nearly 500 billion gallons of oil moved by pipeline. Just 0.0005% spilled.

Two of Canada's largest pipeline companies — Enbridge and TransCanada — have already begun working on technology that detects leaks the moment they develop so even less will be spilled.

We won't ever get around the need to ship oil by rail. But we could make oil transporting safer by laying pipe.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/oil-by-rail-is-here-to-stay">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/o ... re-to-stay">http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/01/10/oil-by-rail-is-here-to-stay

Odinson

Theres no normal life thought in you...

I could post a dozen pages long description of what I have to figure out daily. I could post a detailed explanation how a mine works. How the precious mineral is extracted from the stone. The quantities of specific chemicals, tank sizes, pressure etc.

I got thousands upon thousands of pages of data to present. BORING!

I come here to relax and to gather my thoughts in my apparently teeny weeny brain. I take all the shitty jobs.. Havent failed yet.

Internet forums are not the place for political views... Choose your political party and voice your opinion in public.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"Theres no normal life thought in you...

I could post a dozen pages long description of what I have to figure out daily. I could post a detailed explanation how a mine works. How the precious mineral is extracted from the stone. The quantities of specific chemicals, tank sizes, pressure etc.

I got thousands upon thousands of pages of data to present. BORING!

I come here to relax and to gather my thoughts in my apparently teeny weeny brain. I take all the shitty jobs.. Havent failed yet.

Internet forums are not the place for political views... Choose your political party and voice your opinion in public.

Oddstain's contribution to this discussion is, drum roll please.....[size=150]NIL[/size].

If you aren't interested in this continent's issues, please feel free to FUCK OFF!!

Odinson

No1 is interested in your news articles, honey...

What are you trying to prove... The puppies tourists bring money to our pockets and chinese economy is a one giant bubble.

You should read the book which you presented to me... You´ll find all the answers in there.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Odinson"No1 is interested in your news articles, honey...

What are you trying to prove... The puppies tourists bring money to our pockets and chinese economy is a one giant bubble.

You should read the book which you presented to me... You´ll find all the answers in there.

Odinson, I have told you about the racial remarks..

If you don't like what people post, don't respond.

It calls itself the iron chink... Chinese iron is weaker than a flower stick. Made in China is a quarantee for crap...

"do you prefer asian women over white women?"....  :lol:

Well, I wish all the best for that couple. lol

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

It calls itself the iron chink... Chinese iron is weaker than a flower stick. Made in China is a quarantee for crap...

Her handle is Shen Li and you have been warned several times about crude racial remarks..

How Shen Li refers to herself is none of your business or mine..

The rest of your post is well who knows what you are talking about.

:?

Anonymous

I am interested in what affects my country sweetie.

Odinson

Quote from: "Odinson"

Her handle is Shen Li and you have been warned several times about crude racial remarks..

How Shen Li refers to herself is none of your business or mine..

The rest of your post is well who knows what you are talking about.

:?

I just remember its posts towards me... Chinese iron... Not nordic IIIROOONNN!

I do not even try to keep myself on topic...

Odinson

Quote from: "seoulbro"

I am interested in what affects my country sweetie.

South-Korea?

Anonymous

QuoteI do not even try to keep myself on topic...

That is the only truthful and sensible thing you have ever written on this forum.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
QuoteI do not even try to keep myself on topic...

That is the only truthful and sensible thing you have ever written on this forum.

Bullseye!!!!!

Anonymous

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297515645828_COMICS.jpg?quality=80&stmp=1390068330301&size=430x">