The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Greetings, infidels!!!

Started by Bricktop, March 10, 2021, 07:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Islay (pronounced Eye-La) is a small island off the west coast of Scotland, and there are now 10, soon to be 11 distilleries operating on it. It's major attraction to distillers is its unique peat bogs that is used to dry the barley and impart a smoked flavour to the resulting whisky. Most Islay whiskies are described as "for the brave whisky drinker" because of the intense smokiness. One of them does not use peat, but all the others do.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin are situated close together because of the natural spring water and river nearby that feeds all three distilleries. They are about a mile apart and a pathway runs along the coastline from Port Ellen (Islay's main town)to join them and form the "Whisky Walk". Ardbeg is at the end of the walk. The other 7 distilleries are scattered throughout the island.

Islay's whiskies are much revered by whisky connoisseurs both for their unique, rich smokiness and high quality. Laphroaig is owned by Beam-Suntory and is probably the most popular Islay malt, although Lagavulin is considered a superior whisky. Ardbeg is, as Yankee Doodle says, very similar to them because they all share the same water supply, which affects the final taste.

In my view, you cannot go wrong with any of them. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are rather heavier and peatier, whilst Ardbeg is lighter and sweeter.

You should buy a bottle.

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=405675 time=1616135752 user_id=1560
Islay (pronounced Eye-La) is a small island off the west coast of Scotland, and there are now 10, soon to be 11 distilleries operating on it. It's major attraction to distillers is its unique peat bogs that is used to dry the barley and impart a smoked flavour to the resulting whisky. Most Islay whiskies are described as "for the brave whisky drinker" because of the intense smokiness. One of them does not use peat, but all the others do.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin are situated close together because of the natural spring water and river nearby that feeds all three distilleries. They are about a mile apart and a pathway runs along the coastline from Port Ellen (Islay's main town)to join them and form the "Whisky Walk". Ardbeg is at the end of the walk. The other 7 distilleries are scattered throughout the island.

Islay's whiskies are much revered by whisky connoisseurs both for their unique, rich smokiness and high quality. Laphroaig is owned by Beam-Suntory and is probably the most popular Islay malt, although Lagavulin is considered a superior whisky. Ardbeg is, as Yankee Doodle says, very similar to them because they all share the same water supply, which affects the final taste.

In my view, you cannot go wrong with any of them. Laphroaig and Lagavulin are rather heavier and peatier, whilst Ardbeg is lighter and sweeter.

You should buy a bottle.

I tried a few according to your suggestions, but couldn't get past how much they tasted like burnt arse...so I reverted to Speysides and American bourbons...   :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:  :negative:
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

You should buy a bottle.

Thank you for the information Bricktop, but I won't be buying a bottle.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=405676 time=1616150785 user_id=1676

You should buy a bottle.

I tried a few according to your suggestions, but couldn't get past how much they tasted like burnt arse...so I reverted to Speysides and American bourbons...   :smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:  :negative:

Try Bunnahabhain, then. An Islay malt, but unpeated. Bowmore is peated, but more moderately.

Anonymous

Blazor

I really like the smoky flavor of Laprhoig and Ardbeg. So far they my favorite of Scotch so far.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Quote from: Blazor post_id=406030 time=1616468290 user_id=2221
I really like the smoky flavor of Laprhoig and Ardbeg. So far they my favorite of Scotch so far.

I didn't drink a lot of Scotch, but it was a treat when I did.

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=406033 time=1616468719 user_id=2015
Quote from: Blazor post_id=406030 time=1616468290 user_id=2221

I didn't drink a lot of Scotch, but it was a treat when I did.

Same here man!!! I've only bought 3 bottles. One a year. A treat indeed. Besides the other 2, I had that Johnny Walker Game of Thrones Fire edition, it was ok. Only got it cause it was 60% off lol.

Gaon

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=404749 time=1615423325 user_id=1560
Just thought I'd pop in and say hello to my old Cashew friends.

All is well in Oz...but for the fact that I had a little accident at home and banged up my left leg. Couple of small fractures and some knee surgery required...but nothing that won't heal. Growing old sucks. Don't DO it. I'm on one leg at the moment!!!

Another grand baby on the way later this year bringing the total to 6!!!

The Plague has had very little effect in South Australia relative to other parts of Australia and the world. One lockdown that lasted 3 days, and the usual check in process so we can be tracked by our benevolent government. But that's it. We had more deaths from conventional flu than Covid. Sadly, our planned junket to Europe was cancelled, but we got full refunds so no harm done. Next year, maybe.

I hope you are all well and healthy and your tests are negative. Having that swab jammed up your nose is no fun!!!

Greetings Bricktop.
The Russian Rock It

Bricktop

Shalom Gaon.

I note you've had a rough time with your employment. Hope everything is OK.

Gaon

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=406046 time=1616474705 user_id=1560
Shalom Gaon.

It's not like it was before the coronavirus. I could work unlimited hours. I'm presently working about four days a week. I hope it gets better in the summer.
The Russian Rock It

Blazor

Quote from: Gaon post_id=406063 time=1616507544 user_id=3170
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=406046 time=1616474705 user_id=1560
Shalom Gaon.

It's not like it was before the coronavirus. I could work unlimited hours. I'm presently working about four days a week. I hope it gets better in the summer.

I feel ya, I've been doing 4 day, 7 hour, work days for a YEAR. And now gas is going up. Fuck I need a change.

Bricktop

The Plague has hurt soooo many people, and I remain unconvinced that our governments have managed it correctly. Millions of jobs lost world wide and no end in sight.

At the same time, the Australian economy has grown according to the boffins. How does THAT work???

I hope you make through OK.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=406090 time=1616552654 user_id=1560
The Plague has hurt soooo many people, and I remain unconvinced that our governments have managed it correctly. Millions of jobs lost world wide and no end in sight.

At the same time, the Australian economy has grown according to the boffins. How does THAT work???

I remember caskur posting that lock downs were good for the Australian economy..

If an economy shrinks ten per cent and rebounds six, she considered that growth.

ac_wot

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=406090 time=1616552654 user_id=1560

I'm convinced history will not be kind to our response to this pandemic