Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Maggies Giant Beaver

Started by Anonymous, January 28, 2014, 01:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzPQ7Zf6QcOZvX8Q7MCg7TjhJILsdtPCDR6loVIkzm8RdhjsgcEA">

Anonymous

Quote from: "magical beast"https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzPQ7Zf6QcOZvX8Q7MCg7TjhJILsdtPCDR6loVIkzm8RdhjsgcEA">

Is that a marmot magical beast?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "magical beast"https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzPQ7Zf6QcOZvX8Q7MCg7TjhJILsdtPCDR6loVIkzm8RdhjsgcEA">

it is very magical

The groundhog, also known as a woodchuck, whistle-pig, or land-beaver in some areas, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.

Frost

Quote from: "whistle-pig"

it is very magical

The groundhog, also known as a woodchuck, whistle-pig, or land-beaver in some areas, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots.

LOL, smelly buggers.

We have a lot of those here, I had to trap, and relocate 17 of them a few years back, they was eating my garden up.

Renee

Quote from: "Blue"

it is very magical

LOL, smelly buggers.

We have a lot of those here, I had to trap, and relocate 17 of them a few years back, they was eating my garden up.

We had two of them burrowing under our deck a few years ago. They dug real close to the footings and we had to fill the area around the footings with cement. It's a 2 story deck and with my big ass using the deck the most, the last thing we needed was for the footings to be undermined. The results could have been kinda bad.  ac_toofunny

Luckily our neighbors aren't real close so the husband got rid of them with a .22 mag.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

it is very magical

LOL, smelly buggers.

We had two of them burrowing under our deck a few years ago. They dug real close to the footings and we had to fill the area around the footings with cement. It's a 2 story deck and with my big ass using the deck the most, the last thing we needed was for the footings to be undermined. The results could have been kinda bad.  ac_toofunny

Luckily our neighbors aren't real close so the husband got rid of them with a .22 mag.

I don't think we don't have marmots or groundhogs around Calgary.,

There are little ground squirrels everywhere though.

Renee

LOL, smelly buggers.

Damn chipmunks get into everything. They are worse than mice.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Chipmunks are different Renee..

They are West of Calgary in Canmore and Banff..

Ground squirrels can't climb trees, but that may be because where they live, there are no trees.

ac_umm

Renee

Chipmunks are different Renee..

They are West of Calgary in Canmore and Banff..

Ground squirrels can't climb trees, but that may be because where they live, there are no trees.

ac_umm

Chipmunks generally don't climb trees either. They are ground burrowing rodents (ground squirrels) and are considered to be in the marmot group along with prairie dogs and ground hogs . But their lack of tree climbing isn't because of the absence of trees. They have simply adapted to live on and underground because it is safer and there is less competition from tree dwelling squirrels.

Anonymous

Here are 10 things you may not know about this roly-poly rodent:

Groundhogs are among the few animals that are true hibernators, fattening up in the warm seasons and snoozing for most of three months during the chill times.

While hibernating, a woodchuck's body temperature can drop from about 99 degrees to as low as 37 (Humans go into mild hypothermia when their body temperature drops a mere 3 degrees, lose consciousness at 82 degrees and face death below 70 degrees).

The  heart rate of a hibernating woodchuck slows from about 80 beats per minute to 5.

Breathing slows from around 16 breaths per minute to as few as 2.

During hibernation—150 days without eating—a woodchuck will lose no more than a fourth of its body weight thanks to all the energy saved by the lower metabolism.

During warm seasons, a groundhog may pack in more than a pound of vegetation at one sitting, which is much like a 150-pound man scarfing down a 15-pound steak.

To accommodate its bodacious appetite, woodchucks grow upper and lower incisors that can withstand wear and tear because they grow about a sixteenth of an inch each week.

If properly aligned, woodchuck upper and lower incisors grind away at each other with every bite, keeping suitably short; when not in good order, they may miss one another and just keep growing until they look like the tusks on a wild boar; if too long, a woodchuck's upper incisors can impale the lower jaw, with fatal results.

Woodchuck burrows, which the animals dig as much as 6 feet deep, can meander underground for 20 feet or more, usually with two entrances but in some cases with nearly a dozen.

Burrows provide groundhogs with their chief means of evading enemies, because the rotund little guys (just before hibernation, a hefty woodchuck may tip the scales at 14 pounds) are too slow to escape most predators in a dead heat: the rodents have a top speed of only 8 mph, while a hungry fox may hit 25 mph.

Anonymous

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BPaOChXn6g

ac_dance

Anonymous

Thank you Renee and magical beast for educating me about chipmunks.

ac_smile

Anonymous

https://img0.etsystatic.com/034/0/6621240/il_570xN.528598930_6phn.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "beast poster"https://img0.etsystatic.com/034/0/6621240/il_570xN.528598930_6phn.jpg">

I have never heard of Beaver Butter beast poster.

Anonymous

http://theovercast.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Untitled-4-1024x450.jpg">