"NICE / GOOD" THINGS Thread

Started by cc, August 13, 2021, 03:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odinson

Quote from: cc post_id=418494 time=1629406115 user_id=88
Quote from: Odinson post_id=418493 time=1629405798 user_id=136
Shit like that makes me want to puke.
So long as you keep your puke in Finland, all is good here

He has a long road ahead... Watching all those college girls slip through his fingers into the hands of the assholes.

:laugh3:

"You get them later, tiger" they said.

Then one day, he enters the school armed with an AR-15.

Anonymous

Wheatland County councillor donates entire 2020 salary to build a playground in Cluny, Alta.

CALGARY -- The tiny hamlet of Cluny, about 100 km east of Calgary has a new playground, courtesy of one of Wheatland County's councillors.

But Coun. Jason Wilson didn't go the usual route of lobbying his council colleagues to cough up tax dollars for the playground.

Instead the 24-year-old donated his entire salary from last year to have the playground built.

"I definitely noticed the hit but it's the same hit everybody in Alberta is facing right now. I put myself in their shoes," said Wilson.

"My family's just been around that community and they've really been a part of my life. So I wanted to donate back."

Wilson has long been a strong advocate of smaller government, lower spending and increased personal responsibility.

He says putting his $41,000 annual paycheque into the community project shows he's putting actions to his words.

"We in Alberta are facing one of the worst economic downturns in this past two years and probably going to get worse over the next three," he said.

"A lot of it is government screw-ups to be quite honest. And the average person isn't at fault for that. I don't agree with those average citizens, their kids and families, being not being able to go outside and play on a playground that the government was refusing to build or whatever the reason is.

"Well, provincial politicians or municipal politicians, federal politicians continue to take a very large salary when their residents are haven't made a salary in a year and a half."

Wilson did not publicize his donation. He actually tried to keep it out of the public eye, but Word eventually got out, as now Wilson says he hopes it spurs other politicians to consider donating some, or all, of their annual salary back to their communities.

"If you had every MLA say, 'one year out of our four-year term, let's donate something,' I mean, infrastructure for families would go through the roof. And it would bring back the importance of individual donations, if people don't have to rely on government or politicians themselves, they can be reminded, 'hey, we can do this as individuals or a community,'" he said.

"I mean, you have Rachel Notley, Jason Kenney making six-digit salaries, if they donated half of that to something that was important to the average person. How far would that go?"

Wilson admits he isn't holding his breath that any other politician will step up and follow his lead.

Meanwhile, even though having his donation come to light might be just the sort of news a politician wants heading toward a fall municipal election, Wilson will not be running for re-election.

Instead he will be heading to university in Ireland where he will be studying business.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/wheatland-county-councillor-donates-entire-2020-salary-to-build-a-playground-in-cluny-alta-1.5551102?fbclid=IwAR2oG57mxSUpsWsNSpzs1Xu71Cc4FovoI16PRLIhhqZh6qOXz3oxMP2J3qA">https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/wheatland-co ... 3oxMP2J3qA">https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/wheatland-county-councillor-donates-entire-2020-salary-to-build-a-playground-in-cluny-alta-1.5551102?fbclid=IwAR2oG57mxSUpsWsNSpzs1Xu71Cc4FovoI16PRLIhhqZh6qOXz3oxMP2J3qA

cc

Neat ^^^

https://www.theepochtimes.com/polish-olympian-auctions-silver-medal-to-help-sick-child_3955996.html">WARSAW, Poland—An Olympic athlete from Poland auctioned her silver medal from the Tokyo Games to raise money for a life-saving operation for an infant boy, and then was told by the buyer that she could keep her prize.

https://img.theepochtimes.com/assets/uploads/2021/08/19/Maria-Andrejczyk-700x420.jpg">

Maria Andrejczyk, a 25-year-old javelin thrower who overcame bone cancer and a shoulder injury to compete at this year's Olympics, said she decided to auction her medal to help the boy knowing how much she had to "fight against adversity and pain."

The money is for Milosz Malysa, an infant with a heart defect whose family has been raising funds for him to be operated on in the United States. Milosz's parents posted last week that the boy was at risk of dying soon without the surgery.

Zabka, a popular convenience store chain in Poland, bid 200,000 zlotys ($51,000) but said it would let the athlete keep her medal.

"We were moved by the beautiful and extremely noble gesture of our Olympian," Zabka said.

Fans have contributed an additional 300,000 ($76,500) to help the boy.

Even before the winning bid was made, the authorities in Andrejczyk's community in Poland said they were prepared to make her a replica of the medal.

The Associated Press
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=418527 time=1629419374 user_id=88
Neat ^^^

WARSAW, Poland—An Olympic athlete from Poland auctioned her silver medal from the Tokyo Games to raise money for a life-saving operation for an infant boy, and then was told by the buyer that she could keep her prize.

https://img.theepochtimes.com/assets/uploads/2021/08/19/Maria-Andrejczyk-700x420.jpg">https://img.theepochtimes.com/assets/up ... 00x420.jpg">https://img.theepochtimes.com/assets/uploads/2021/08/19/Maria-Andrejczyk-700x420.jpg[/img]

Maria Andrejczyk, a 25-year-old javelin thrower who overcame bone cancer and a shoulder injury to compete at this year's Olympics, said she decided to auction her medal to help the boy knowing how much she had to "fight against adversity and pain."

The money is for Milosz Malysa, an infant with a heart defect whose family has been raising funds for him to be operated on in the United States. Milosz's parents posted last week that the boy was at risk of dying soon without the surgery.

Zabka, a popular convenience store chain in Poland, bid 200,000 zlotys ($51,000) but said it would let the athlete keep her medal.

"We were moved by the beautiful and extremely noble gesture of our Olympian," Zabka said.

Fans have contributed an additional 300,000 ($76,500) to help the boy.

Even before the winning bid was made, the authorities in Andrejczyk's community in Poland said they were prepared to make her a replica of the medal.

The Associated Press

She is a very good sport.

Oliver Clotheshoffe

I got a new kitten! Her name is Muffin. You wouldn't believe how long it took to get her to sit still for five seconds so I could take this picture.

">
Life is too short to be in a hurry

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oliver Clotheshoffe" post_id=419385 time=1630032051 user_id=3349
I got a new kitten! Her name is Muffin. You wouldn't believe how long it took to get her to sit still for five seconds so I could take this picture.

">

She's adorable Oliver.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oliver Clotheshoffe" post_id=419385 time=1630032051 user_id=3349

">

Kittens are a lot of fun.

Anonymous

Indoor city cat survives almost two months in the wilds of Jasper National Park

Missing Instagram-famous feline found safe in Jasper by a group of volunteers

While many people on social media thought Draco would become coyote food in the Canadian Rockies, his owners knew their beloved lost pet was a tough cat.

"I told my husband if Draco met a bear, I would worry for the bear," said Alix Lizaire. The feline Instagram star would commonly join Lizaire on mountain hikes in his harness.

Last August, while hiking one of Draco's favourite trails — Valley of the Five Lakes hike in Jasper National Park — the adventure cat was spooked by passing hikers portaging a canoe. He slipped out of his harness and bolted up the side of the mountain out of sight.

He remained missing until this week.

"He's not scared of much, but apparently canoes," said Lizaire. The couple spent the next several days searching and putting up lost posters, even offering a $1,000 reward.

Occasionally, a hiker would spot the cat and the couple would drive back to Jasper hoping to find Draco, but always without success.

For several weeks, volunteers in Jasper combed the woods for Draco as leaves yellowed, temperatures dropped and the mountain peaks were dusted white.

While Draco had never been off-leash outside his Edmonton home, the owners worried he was having too much fun hunting in the mountains. Even as temperatures plunged, they were not sure Draco would want to come home.

"Unfortunately, he loves snow," Lizaire said.

Into the cat trap

Jasperite Owain Thomas walked roughly 300 km over several weeks, looking for Draco. He managed to trap him this week.

After 49 days in an area rich with foxes, coyotes, wolves and bears, Draco was lured with treats into a trap and returned home to his owners.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-cat-survives-wilds-jasper-1.6205977">https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6205977">https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-cat-survives-wilds-jasper-1.6205977

cc

That's quite a story ... and especially so for cat people

"if Draco met a bear, I would worry for the bear" .... LOL

cc

It's a bit long, but ending is priceless

">

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=425280 time=1635445724 user_id=88

">

You can forgive it a bit at Karen's age. Some people never grow out of that.

cc

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=425285 time=1635447668 user_id=2015

">

Yes. Apparently Karens come in all ages

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=425429 time=1635522248 user_id=88
Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=425285 time=1635447668 user_id=2015

">

Yes. Apparently Karens come in all ages

The catty school girl phase is hard for some girls to break. Some boys too.

Anonymous

A man from Villa Hills, Kentucky is delighting his neighbors with an awesome Christmas display at his home, and using the attention to collect donations for tornado victims in Western Kentucky.

Ralph Mueller's front yard is decorated with a small army of inflatable Christmas characters and a stellar lights display.

On Dec. 15, Mueller told his Facebook neighborhood group that he would be putting collection barrels out in front of his yard. He said anyone who wanted to visit to see the inflatables could drop off toys and food, which were donated to tornado victims in Mayfield, Kentucky on Dec. 23.

The community was happy to spread some Christmas cheer and give good gifts to those in need.

"They lost everything. It's just so sad," said Nancy Trenkamp, who dropped off toys in one of Mueller's collection bins.

"We've probably got over 1,000 toys," Mueller told WKRC on Tuesday.

He explained that he was inspired to help the tornado relief efforts after his son was deployed to Western Kentucky with the National Guard last week.