Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Where did it all go wrong?

Started by Bricktop, November 13, 2021, 07:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427607 time=1637305218 user_id=1560
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=427598 time=1637290645 user_id=1676

The "but who will build the roads?!" rebuttal has been a go-to by the personal autonomy averse since governments took over pre-existing roads

I'm not rebutting. I am asking for more detail.

And quit plagiarising my shit!  :rules:

:laugh:

I just re-employed it towards a more deserving character.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Who pays for the roads in a libertarian society? This is one of those questions that pretends to be the undoing of libertarian philosophy, arguing by implication that in a stateless society (without government) roads would not get built, or that they would only be accessible to the privileged few. What this point of view ignores is the fact that many people of wealth and substance take it upon themselves to create and/or sponsor public resources, the most notable being the modern public library system, which would not exist but for the voluntary philanthropy of people like Andrew Carnegie. Indeed, the undoing of most philanthropic efforts is that they seek to lobby the government for their fair share of government largess rather than just doing what needs to be done.

In early America, the first paved roads were generally developed by private companies. The first long distance paved road in America was Philadelphia and Lancaster Turnpike, which effectively still operates to this day, but which more specifically operated as a toll road from 1795 to 1917, when it was purchased by the state.

It's also worth noting that, whatever negatives private toll roads may have, they tended to stay in excellent states of repair. Economically, a private road in disrepair reflects a loss of revenue, while the opposite is true of public roads. A fiscally responsible government would defer the repair of a public road as long as they possibly could.

Bricktop

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=427612 time=1637321541 user_id=114
Who pays for the roads in a libertarian society?

This is the thin edge of the "road" debate.

If all that was required is who pays, then private investors would build toll roads and all would be well.

But life is no longer that simple.

Who decides where the road will be built, and on who's property?

Who decides the physical layout of the road?

Who decides and enforces how the road will be used and the rules to be applied?

If the private investor goes out of business, what happens to the road?

Now, each question probably has a reasonable answer...but the problem of our modern world is the journey to that answer is problematic, complex, confrontational, political and divisive, such is the madness we've built for ourselves.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427638 time=1637359029 user_id=1560
Quote from: seoulbro post_id=427612 time=1637321541 user_id=114
Who pays for the roads in a libertarian society?

This is the thin edge of the "road" debate.

If all that was required is who pays, then private investors would build toll roads and all would be well.

But life is no longer that simple.

Who decides where the road will be built, and on who's property?

Who decides the physical layout of the road?

Who decides and enforces how the road will be used and the rules to be applied?

If the private investor goes out of business, what happens to the road?

Now, each question probably has a reasonable answer...but the problem of our modern world is the journey to that answer is problematic, complex, confrontational, political and divisive, such is the madness we've built for ourselves.

If a company is bought by another company they take responsibility for it's assets.

Bricktop

Nope. They can exclude assets in the purchase contract.

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427672 time=1637372335 user_id=1560
Nope. They can exclude assets in the purchase contract.

I find it hard to believe a road with traffic would not be part of the package or the main part that another company would want to acquire..

I'll defer to Seoul though.

Anonymous

Governments need to find new sources of revenue besides picking the pockets of the people. Better yet, shrink the size of government.

Bricktop

As I have said repeatedly and is relevant to your country, abolishing State governments is a good start.

Frood

Never....

The worst thing a society can do is centralize power.
Blahhhhhh...

Zetsu

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=427740 time=1637448202 user_id=1676
Never....

That idea is even worst than a company without a boss
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop

Never....

I get your point...but which is the lesser of the evils...one government with one set of laws and policies, or multiple governments with multiple laws (which we have in Australia) pulling in opposite directions. And, of course, double the cost of governance with duplicated bureaucracies all over the country. I don't know about Victoria, but 17% of the workforce in SA is employed directly by the Government. That's a LOT of money when you multiply it by a factor of 9.

It's a question, not a rebuttal of your statement.

Frood

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=427746 time=1637449529 user_id=1560
Never....

I get your point...but which is the lesser of the evils...one government with one set of laws and policies, or multiple governments with multiple laws (which we have in Australia) pulling in opposite directions. And, of course, double the cost of governance with duplicated bureaucracies all over the country. I don't know about Victoria, but 17% of the workforce in SA is employed directly by the Government. That's a LOT of money when you multiply it by a factor of 9.

It's a question, not a rebuttal of your statement.

...and I get your point, but powers are meant to be delegated to respective groups or government levels limited by overarching basic guidelines.

Mission creep and broad interpretations of power should be stymied and reversed. It is not an excuse to remove separations.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I would like to gut Ottawa of nearly all powers and put it in the hands of our provincial government legislature in Regina.

Zetsu

I think a government is critically needed, but instead of a wealth/capital drain every country should model their system after Hong Kong.
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop