Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 19, 2024, 11:52:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Fossil Fuels are a Hell of a Lot More Sustainable Than Wind and Solar

Started by Anonymous, December 13, 2021, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I was posting on Postmedia comments section and a few progtards were saying oil, gas, and coal are finite. Rare earth metals, water and all that frickin land wind and solar require to produce a lot less energy than fossils are not finite according to those dumbasses.

Anonymous

The Energy Information Administration reports that in 1977, the United States had just 32 billion barrels of proven oil reserves and 207 trillion cubic feet of proven natural gas reserves. Between 1977 and 2010, the U.S. extracted 84 billion barrels of oil (2.6 times the 1977 reserve estimate) and 610 trillion cubic feet of gas (2.9 times the reserve estimate). And, large reserves remain. In fact, in recent years, the size of U.S. reserves has actually grown (by more than a third since 2011), primarily as a result of horizontal drilling and hydraulic fracturing (fracking) technologies that enable economical access to oil and gas deposits trapped in underground rock formations.

Even if no more fossil fuels were to be discovered or deemed extractable, our nations already possess far more reserves and recoverable resources worldwide than we can use. Humanity has burned just a small portion of our fossil fuels to date.

Anonymous

First coal, then oil and natural gas allowed rapid growth in industrial processes, agriculture, and transportation. The world today is unrecognizable from that of the early 19th century, before fossil fuels came into wide use. Human health and welfare have improved markedly, and the global population has increased from 1 billion in 1800 to almost 8 billion today. The fossil fuel energy system is the lifeblood of the modern economy. Fossil fuels powered the industrial revolution, pulled millions out of poverty, and shaped the modern world.

Anonymous

Quote from: HermanI was posting on Postmedia comments section and a few progtards were saying oil, gas, and coal are finite. Rare earth metals, water and all that frickin land wind and solar require to produce a lot less energy than fossils are not finite according to those dumbasses.
They are white.

Anonymous

Quote from: HermanI was posting on Postmedia comments section and a few progtards were saying oil, gas, and coal are finite. Rare earth metals, water and all that frickin land wind and solar require to produce a lot less energy than fossils are not finite according to those dumbasses.
It amazes me that there are people that think you can get something from nothing. Wind and solar require a lot of finite resources including land that we have less of than fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are fantastic at their job; that is, producing energy. Earth's fossil fuel reserves were formed over millions of years as the organic material of ancient plants and microorganisms (not dinosaurs) were compressed and heated into dense deposits of carbon—basically reservoirs of condensed energy.  For this reason fossil fuels are incredibly "energy dense", meaning a little bit of a fossil fuel can produce a whole lot of energy. This energy dense quality is what led to Europe's adoption of coal over wood as a fuel source, and this sudden increase in available energy eventually led to the industrial revolution. Coal, oil, and natural gas seem to exist to be fuels.

Oliver Clotheshoffe

God put us on this planet to eat meat and burn oil. FACT.
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Anonymous

Quote from: Shen Li
They are white.
Can you say anything else.

Bricktop

Quote from: Shen LiThey are white.
Did you know that when you talk racist I get all hot and sweaty...

ac_wub

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop
Quote from: Shen LiThey are white.

Did you know that when you talk racist I get all hot and sweaty...

ac_wub
It has the opposite affect on old Herman.

Thiel

Wind and solar are hardly new technology. They will always a rounding error of the world's energy mix. I don't see electricty powering transportation. Fuel cell and hydrogen are possibilities. I should read more about them.
gay, conservative and proud

Bricktop

A far more sustainable and affordable future will have some wind and solar, some fossil fuels, and a LOT of nuclear power.

Thiel

Quote from: BricktopA far more sustainable and affordable future will have some wind and solar, some fossil fuels, and a LOT of nuclear power.
Nuclear is an excellent source of energy. But, I don't see electricity powering the transportation sector. I think fossils will remain and hydrogen, fuel cells will be added.

Anonymous

Quote from: Thiel
Quote from: BricktopA far more sustainable and affordable future will have some wind and solar, some fossil fuels, and a LOT of nuclear power.
Nuclear is an excellent source of energy. But, I don't see electricity powering the transportation sector. I think fossils will remain and hydrogen, fuel cells will be added.
I was going to trade in my car this year, but I didn't....in 2022 for sure..

I'm still reluctant to go full electric....hybrid perhaps.

Thiel

Quote from: Fashionista

You should be reluctant to buy an electric car. I believe something will come along in the near future and make them obsolete.  I read ten minutes ago that fuel cell drivetrain combines zero-emissions mobility with the fast refueling time that's needed for long-distance driving.

Moving forward, electric vehicles will have longer ranges thanks to advances in battery technology, but the refueling time won't be competitive with that of a hydrogen-powered model. It takes about three to five minutes to top up a hydrogen tank, and then you're set to go. That's three to five minutes, compared to four to twenty hours for electric vehicles.

Fuel cells can handle our cold climate better too.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista

You should be reluctant to buy an electric car. I believe something will come along in the near future and make them obsolete.  I read ten minutes ago that fuel cell drivetrain combines zero-emissions mobility with the fast refueling time that's needed for long-distance driving.

Moving forward, electric vehicles will have longer ranges thanks to advances in battery technology, but the refueling time won't be competitive with that of a hydrogen-powered model. It takes about three to five minutes to top up a hydrogen tank, and then you're set to go. That's three to five minutes, compared to four to twenty hours for electric vehicles.

Fuel cells can handle our cold climate better too.
True Dope has set limits on how many internal combustion engine vehicles can be sold in Canada. Either there will be a huge demand for second vehicles or we're going broke building infrastructure to handle an electric fleet.