News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10413
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:03:25 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

How many days,weeks, months before a war with Russia happens?

Started by Frood, December 18, 2021, 08:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

https://financialpost.com/commodities/energy/oil-gas/meet-the-russian-oligarchs-with-investment-ties-to-western-canada-not-named-in-ottawas-sanctions">Financial Post > Meet the Russian oligarchs with investment ties to Western Canada not named in Ottawa's sanctions

Some controversial figures have so far evaded sanctions from the Canadian government (Are you surprised?)

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government has said all Canadian financial institutions are prohibited from engaging in any transactions with the Russian Central Bank. And Canadian authorities have identified dozens of Russian individuals and entities for sanctions in recent days, freezing the assets of 58 targets and prohibiting all dealings with them.

But one of the most recognizable Russian elites to have been excluded from Canada's sanction list is billionaire Roman Abramovich, best known outside his home country as the owner of Chelsea FC, one of the world's most popular soccer teams.

Abramovich, who had come under intense political scrutiny in the U.K., said on March 2 that he will sell Chelsea and donate the proceeds to Ukraine, the Financial Times reported. The team is only his most visible asset in the West. Among other things, Abramovich is the largest shareholder in Evraz PLC, a steel manufacturing and mining business that has facilities in Regina, Calgary and Edmonton.

Evraz has provided the majority of the pipe to the Trans Mountain expansion (TMX) project, which will expand the movement of oil and refined products from the Edmonton area to a terminal on the Pacific Coast for export. Evraz's agreement with original pipeline owner Kinder Morgan provided 250,000 metric tons of pipe to the project.

Alexander Abramov, Alexander Frolov, Evgeny Shvidler and Maxim Vorobyev — all wealthy Russians — are also among the top six shareholders in the U.K.-based company, according to Bloomberg. None of them appear on Canada's sanctions list.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Swedish officials on Wednesday accused four Russian fighter jets of violating its airspace over the Baltic Sea.

The jets, identified as two SU-27 and two SU-24 fighters, flew over Swedish airspace near Gotland Island, according to the Swedish Armed Forces. The incident occurred earlier on Wednesday.

Nothing unusual here in my opinion. China and Russia routinely violate air space and waters of neighbouring countries.

Bricktop

They are now not just freezing Russian assets, but seizing them...effectively taking possession of them for sale. Yachts and luxury properties are being confiscated and the revenue from their sale will go the Ukraine.

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=442241 time=1646337704 user_id=114.........

Nothing unusual here in my opinion. China and Russia routinely violate air space and waters of neighbouring countries.

They do what they damned well please

cc

I realize that no protest  will stop Putin

but I found this one interesting

from r/ukraine
">https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/commen ... annel_the/">

Bricktop

An illegal war always seems to corrode national unity.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=442253 time=1646344875 user_id=88
I realize that no protest  will stop Putin

but I found this one interesting

from r/ukraine
">https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/commen ... annel_the/">

It's interesting, but it makes no difference.

Bricktop

I'm not so sure.

The sanctions are going to be crippling. The Russian people know this war is illegal, and the consequences for their nation will be dire without a single shot fired in their direction.

If the West remains unified and applies all of the pressure that it is capable of, Putin is going to have a lot of explaining to do. If Ukraine can hold the Russian advance and the West provides non military help in the form of food, clothing and other necessities then ordinary Russians are going to protest.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=442260 time=1646346553 user_id=1560
I'm not so sure.

The sanctions are going to be crippling. The Russian people know this war is illegal, and the consequences for their nation will be dire without a single shot fired in their direction.

If the West remains unified and applies all of the pressure that it is capable of, Putin is going to have a lot of explaining to do. If Ukraine can hold the Russian advance and the West provides non military help in the form of food, clothing and other necessities then ordinary Russians are going to protest.

Who do you think has a better chance of keeping their job three months from now-Putin or Ukrainian president Zelensky?

cc

Good question. While of course Russia has a huge military in comparison, but considering many times more forces and supposedly superior equipment,  they are not doing it as expected ... looking pretty bad and even a win won't  rectify the fact that they are not looking good

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=442281 time=1646353515 user_id=88
Good question. While of course Russia has a huge military in comparison, but considering many times more forces and supposedly superior equipment,  they are not doing it as expected ... looking pretty bad and even a win won't  rectify the fact that they are not looking good

Key cities have fallen or will soon. The entire South including ports will be blocked off very soon.

cc

Nice going Putin - the largest Nuke Plant in all of Europe is on fire  (not sure how extensive yet, but lots of smoke)

If this becomes a big problem, the pressure on Putin will be greatly increased

If Russian troops attacked it, unlikely a coincidence, this will be a game changer & re-define the word "stupid"

We'll soon see how this one goes

Reuters> https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/top-wrap-1-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant-fire-after-russian-attack-mayor-2022-03-04/">https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ ... 022-03-04/">https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/top-wrap-1-europes-largest-nuclear-power-plant-fire-after-russian-attack-mayor-2022-03-04/

BORODYANKA/LVIV, Ukraine, March 4 (Reuters) - The largest nuclear power plant in Europe is on fire following a Russian attack, Ukraine's foreign minister said on Friday, as he called for a security zone and firefighters to be allowed to tackle the incident.

A generating unit at the plant has been hit during an attack by Russian troops and part of the station is on fire, RIA news agency cited the Ukrainian atomic energy ministry as saying on Friday.

A plant spokesperson told RIA that background levels of radiation had not changed.

"Russian army is firing from all sides upon Zaporizhzhia NPP, the largest nuclear power plant in Europe," Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba wrote on Twitter.

Anonymous