Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Bonhoeffer‘s Theory: Stupidity is Far More Dangerous to Society than Evil

Started by cc, January 04, 2022, 03:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Dietrich Bonhoeffer argued that stupid people are more dangerous than evil ones.

This is because while we can protest against or fight evil people, against stupid ones we are defenseless — reasons fall on dead ears.

Bonhoeffer's famous text, which we slightly edited for this video, serves any free society as a warning of what can happen when certain people gain too much power.

">
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

I think I posted this one some time ago.

It's an interesting theory. But I am not sure I agree with the principles.

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=433149 time=1641329947 user_id=88
Dietrich Bonhoeffer argued that stupid people are more dangerous than evil ones.

This is because while we can protest against or fight evil people, against stupid ones we are defenseless — reasons fall on dead ears.

Bonhoeffer's famous text, which we slightly edited for this video, serves any free society as a warning of what can happen when certain people gain too much power.

">

Stupid people keep Justin Trudeau in power. Nuff said.

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=433185 time=1641343076 user_id=114

">

While it of course runs much deeper & insidiously than that ... That is one GREAT example

Bricktop

My issue with this proposal is that it relies on "stupidity", which is a measure of human conduct not intellect. Intelligent people do stupid things.

But stupid actions are subject to a wide variety of interpretations and subjective criteria. What is deemed "stupid" by one group who deplore Trudeau would be considered a smart move by his supporters. Trying to simply people's actions as "stupid" is irrational.

In my view, it's not the stupid action we should examine, but the cause of that stupidity. Ignorance, mischief, wilful disobedience, poor judgment and personal beliefs are just some of the factors.

To me, participating and subscribing to the habits, rituals, tenets and beliefs of religion is a fatuous act.

To others, it is the path to salvation.

Which of us is stupid? And who is to judge?

Anonymous

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=433185 time=1641343076 user_id=114

">

I don't know if Trudeau is stupid.....he's certainly doesn't have the same understanding of his job as his predecessor..

I do believe our prime minister is selfish and narcissistic..

He cares about how he is preceived rather than making life better for working families like mine.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=433327 time=1641362327 user_id=1560
So, are the people who vote for him stupid?

I don't know......probably ignorant of politics.

cc

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=433330 time=1641362570 user_id=3254

I would chalk it up to a combination of usually many Quebec votes + a history of many people supporting losing Liberal causes year in year out

and why we will never be what we could be ... which meets even the softest definition of "a stupid way to function"

Seems all Lib PM candidates are from Quebec, ensuring Quebec vote .. ever notice that?

The only recent example of otherwise was Martin from Windsor ON (known to be quite French) and  who was French by heredity and always made it known he was both that & a strong Catholic to ensure Quebec support

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=433598 time=1641499210 user_id=88

I would chalk it up to a combination of usually many Quebec votes + a history of many people supporting losing Liberal causes year in year out

and why we will never be what we could be ... which meets even the softest definition of "a stupid way to function"

Seems all Lib PM candidates are from Quebec, ensuring Quebec vote .. ever notice that?

The only recent example of otherwise was Martin from Windsor ON (known to be quite French) and  who was French by heredity and always made it known he was both that & a strong Catholic to ensure Quebec support

Canada would have been so much better off if about forty thousand votes went to the No side on the October 30, 1995 referendum. Jacques Parizeau was going to declare Quebec independent the next day. What a shame he didn't get his wish.

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=433625 time=1641514085 user_id=1689

Canada would have been so much better off if about forty thousand votes went to the No side on the October 30, 1995 referendum. Jacques Parizeau was going to declare Quebec independent the next day. What a shame he didn't get his wish.

I'm blad you brought that up - I  was extremely disappointed in the result, albeit very close

Only PM & every person  he could muster + Mega Bucks at the last minute saved the day for them

Canada would be a very successful country today had it passed

René Lévesque was the one who got the movement going 10 years before & deserves a lot of credit

I found him very smart and likable ...  oops typo . . likeable  ac_blush

Thiel

Quote from: Herman post_id=433625 time=1641514085 user_id=1689

You mean the Yes side. The No side was remain in Canada.
gay, conservative and proud

Anonymous

The Liberal Party wins elections by dividing the country. In that way, they are just like the democrats.

Print
User actions