Anyone from Japan here?

Started by Rancidmilko, January 29, 2022, 10:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancidmilko

I like to watch stuff about myths, the occult, that kind of thing

So yesterday I was watching something about Japan's samurais

More specifically, Taira no Masakado.

Holy crap. What a bunch of crazy stuff.

Of course, you could ignore it all and call it all a myth, since he lived more than 1000 years ago, so the craziest stuff, like his head crying and mumbling and then uprooting a tree and flying hundreds of miles away.

But you can't deny all the weird stuff that continued to happen in modern times, like when the US was doing construction around his gravestone and the bulldozer simply tipped over and killed the operator in a very freak accident when the bulldozer touched his grave.

And to this day, people still fear and respect Masakado, since they put all the seats facing his tomb in nearby buildings and there's even a bank with an account full of money in Masakado's name.

What surprises me is that the Japanese are a very rational and intelligent people, you can't deny that. But their culture is completely sunk in the paranormal and the occult.

The western, specially the Americas, are "new" places in terms of culture, so it seems like people are way more mundane and skeptic around here, but these beliefs are still pretty much alive in much of Asia.

I'll be checking out more stuff about Japan later, it seems like they have a lot of crazy stuff going on there.
There\'s always a bigger fish.

Anonymous

Nobody here is from Japan, but iron horse jockey has a Japanese grandmother even though he is mostly Caucasian..

I can speak a little Japanese and my all my grandparents and great grandparents spoke Japanese as their first language because Taiwan was part of Imperial Japan until 1945..

I've been to Japan, I like the country, and it's cuisine..

Samurai hisory is still strong in Japanese culture today.

Frood

My son learnt mandarin....begrudgingly because of school, but he was glued to Japanese cartoons and hated dubbed versions.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=436930 time=1643473571 user_id=1676
My son learnt mandarin....begrudgingly because of school, but he was glued to Japanese cartoons and hated dubbed versions.

That's how many children develop an interest in Japanese language and culture.

Frood

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=436931 time=1643473643 user_id=3254

That's how many children develop an interest in Japanese language and culture.

My son excelled at Mandarin... he went to Beijing for 5 weeks on a school trip with his mainlander teacher, and they'd play reverse roles. Son was the teachers guide. The teacher pretended to be ignorant of the language. My son had to explain that the teacher was raised in Canada and Australia and didn't know much of the language.

(But the teacher was telling him in English the whole time about the realistic cost of stuff...and to keep bargaining). Then the teacher told the vendors they totally got screwed.

The teacher got into a lot of shit for encouraging all the students to take home every robe, pair of slippers, and the plane blankets...

I still have a blanket from one of the flights...

China charged the school thousands of dollars.... but the kids had a blast. Great teacher.... kind of like this guy:

">

(Despite him not being Korean)

But my kid gravitated to Japanese anyway... lol
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

It must've been a terrific experience for your son Dinky.

Anonymous

Quote from: Rancidmilko post_id=436926 time=1643470828 user_id=2853
I like to watch stuff about myths, the occult, that kind of stuff

So yesterday I was watching something about Japan's samurais

More specifically, Taira no Masakado.

Holy crap. What a bunch of crazy stuff.

Of course, you could ignore it all and call it all a myth, since he lived more than 1000 years ago, so the craziest stuff, like his head crying and mumbling and then uprooting a tree and flying hundreds of miles away.

But you can't deny all the weird stuff that continued to happen in modern times, like when the US was doing construction around his gravestone and the bulldozer simply tipped over and killed the operator in a very freak accident when the bulldozer touched his grave.

And to this day, people still fear and respect Masakado, since they put all the seats facing his tomb in nearby buildings and there's even a bank with an account full of money in Masakado's name.

What surprises me is that the Japanese are a very rational and intelligent people, you can't deny that. But their culture is completely sunk in the paranormal and the occult.

The western, specially the Americas, are "new" places in terms of culture, so it seems like people are way more mundane and skeptic around here, but these beliefs are still pretty much alive in much of Asia.

I'll be checking out more stuff about Japan later, it seems like they have a lot of crazy stuff going on there.

It's an entertaining mix of history and folklore.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=436928 time=1643473379 user_id=3254
I can speak a little Japanese and my all my grandparents and great grandparents spoke Japanese as their first language because Taiwan was part of Imperial Japan until 1945..

My dad is over eighty, he learned Japanese before Korean.

Frood

Fash....

I think the teacher MADE the best part of the trip. He was a scammer and would regularly let the kids out to run amuck despite the other chaperones. He was always looking out for them though...

Think CON ARTIST turned to nurturing foreign children... but by the time he got back to China, he was just as foreign himself....maybe 25 years?

He was a fun guy.... my son came back with crazy stories about what he let my son and the other kids do.... even running interference with the Australian chaperones so the kids could sneak out and just do what they wanted.

And he'd instruct the whole group to take anything not bolted down with them. He actually got dismissed for it. When the class was back, the school got a crazy bill for hotel and airline items which were meant to remain.... lulz....
Blahhhhhh...

Zetsu

">

I can fully understand, life without Japanese cartoon would be pretty dull and boring  ac_cool
Permanently off his rocker

Rancidmilko

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=436941 time=1643476518 user_id=114

It's an entertaining mix of history and folklore.

I've personally seen unexplained stuff. REALLY unexplained. The kind that can't be a natural phenomenon.

We live in a highly technologically advanced society, at least compared to how things were 100 years ago.

But humanity's culture, all of it, seems to be always intertwined with the paranormal.

What seems to have happened is that a lot people abandoned these beliefs and stopped paying attention to some things.

But the moment one starts searching for themselves, really looking for answers and signs, they'll show up

Like I said, some personal experiences I've had make it impossible for me to "believe in nothing".

Rancidmilko

BTW, that show Round Six was a HUUUUGE success here in Brazil

A lot of Korean shows on Netflix

K-pop also has a large fan base here in Brazil.

Asian cartoons too.

Anonymous

Quote from: Rancidmilko post_id=436956 time=1643479176 user_id=2853

Asian cartoons too.

Do you mean Squid Game Rancidmilko?

It's too violent for my tastes.....so is the Japanese series Alice in Borderland.

Rancidmilko

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=436960 time=1643479820 user_id=3254

Asian cartoons too.

It's too violent for my tastes.....so is the Japanese series Alice in Borderland.

Yes, that's the name in English

There's also that one with the monsters who go around killing people after they receive a warning, I forgot the name, I started watching that one,

Lots of movies too, Parasite, Train to Busan and others

Anonymous

Quote from: Rancidmilko post_id=436967 time=1643480877 user_id=2853
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=436960 time=1643479820 user_id=3254

Asian cartoons too.

Yes, that's the name in English

There's also that one with the monsters who go around killing people after they receive a warning, I forgot the name, I started watching that one,

Lots of movies too, Parasite, Train to Busan and others

I hated Train to Busan. But, I hate the Walking Dead. So, I don't know why I watched that movie.