The best topic

Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Edmonton may soon be hogtied with a problem that it won’t be able to barbecue its way out of

Started by cc, March 07, 2022, 06:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

Frood

We don't get them down this far south often... takes a two hour drive to get into the feral pig country, but I have had 1 single one try to swipe my legs late at night on the front lawn. It was moving like a freight train.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=442797 time=1646718626 user_id=1676
I don't believe we need a season here since they're classed as invasive pests....

On private property or anywhere?

kiebers

All out war in the southern states down here. Using thermals at night, helicopters during the day and traps. No seasons or limits. Watched a video this morning and the guy had over 80 hogs trapped with one trap on this place, and caught 14 piglets on this video. A lot of farms allow hunters on their property, and in some cases are so grateful they allow them to deer hunt on their property as well. The amount of destruction they cause is getting out of hand.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Frood

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=442809 time=1646754328 user_id=3254
Quote from: "Dinky Dazza" post_id=442797 time=1646718626 user_id=1676
I don't believe we need a season here since they're classed as invasive pests....

On private property or anywhere?

Pretty much anywhere but you'll need permission on private property, which isn't difficult to secure for doing a free service.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: kiebers post_id=442815 time=1646757408 user_id=193
All out war in the southern states down here. Using thermals at night, helicopters during the day and traps. No seasons or limits. Watched a video this morning and the guy had over 80 hogs trapped with one trap on this place, and caught 14 piglets on this video. A lot of farms allow hunters on their property, and in some cases are so grateful they allow them to deer hunt on their property as well. The amount of destruction they cause is getting out of hand.

Have you tried wild boar? Does it taste the same as domestic pork?

kiebers

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=442818 time=1646757962 user_id=114

It doesn't taste exactly the same due to less fat. They get a lot more excerise in the wild. LOL Just tastes a little stronger but it is definitely pork. Those little piglets are perfect for a rotisserie.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: kiebers post_id=442838 time=1646772269 user_id=193

It doesn't taste exactly the same due to less fat. They get a lot more excerise in the wild. LOL Just tastes a little stronger but it is definitely pork. Those little piglets are perfect for a rotisserie.

If they taste good, there are so many of them and they can be hunted year round, I'm surprised their populations are exploding.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

cw_

:beurk:

My understanding is that invasive species  (Pigs, Pythons, Carp, Lionfish, etc.) have high reproductive rates and low to no predators. (Including humans.)  

Efforts to eradicate them are not turning the tide, and most people do not care to eat an invasive species unless it is $1.00 and comes with special sauce.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=442839 time=1646772699 user_id=3254

If they taste good, there are so many of them and they can be hunted year round, I'm surprised their populations are exploding.

Opinions on the taste of wild boar meat is mixed. Depends who you ask.

Anonymous

Make wild boar sam kyup sal from it and sell it to Korean restaurants and grocers.

cc

Thanks kiebs. Was curious on taste

We have always had shotguns. Might have to think about adding a rifle  :wink:
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=443038 time=1646876489 user_id=88

I found out you can buy it at a few places in Southern Ontario. But, it's farm raised. The taste won't be the same as wild.

cc

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=443040 time=1646877014 user_id=114
Quote from: cc post_id=443038 time=1646876489 user_id=88

I found out you can buy it at a few places in Southern Ontario. But, it's farm raised. The taste won't be the same as wild.

Right. Not the same as wild
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell