Last post: Today at 11:33:35 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aylana

welcome Garraty_47

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2022, 09:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: Garraty_47 post_id=464055 time=1657817032 user_id=3381
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=463996 time=1657806164 user_id=3254
Perhaps you might volunteer some information about yourself for those of us who don't have a long history with the flame community.

I don't often engage in political discussions on forums because hyper-partisanship has gotten completely ridiculous. One side either blames literally everything on republicans/conservatives (despite all the evidence that democrats are equally culpable) or has some form of Trump Derangement Syndrome and abandoned all reason in 2016. The other side blames literally everything on democrats/liberals and in some cases even call for the murder of "lefties" just for having an alternative worldview.

There's no room in that insanity for any real discussion much less debate which is just as well because such would be utterly pointless... both sides would only be talking *at* each other, not *with*.

These days I prefer to simply trade posts with people who amuse, entertain, interest or inspire me. I'm not here to 'accomplish' anything or to flog any sort of agenda; I'm here to have a little fun with other cunning linguists.

That's it, really- what you see is what you get.

Oh! The nym...

...it's from my favorite Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) story 'The Long Walk'.

The main character is Raymond Garraty whose contestant number was 47.

I couldn't agree more with you Gerraty about American partisanship..

I'm interested in issues that affect families like mine, but I won't engage in hyper partisanship.

cw_

Garraty_47

Quote from: cw_ post_id=464066 time=1657818497 user_id=3226
">

That's kewl.

I don't understand why they never turned this one into a movie...

...it seems like they adapted everything else King wrote to the big screen, even if they fucked it all up in the process ('Running Man', etc.).

Anonymous

Gerraty_47. may I inquire about your avatar?

Garraty_47

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=464075 time=1657823975 user_id=3254
Gerraty_47. may I inquire about avatar?

That's me.

Often I pile on filters and effects until I look like a Klingon or not even organic but this one I ran through Painter once and called it a day.

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=463996 time=1657806164 user_id=3254
Perhaps you might volunteer some information about yourself for those of us who don't have a long history with the flame community.

I haven't considered myself a "Flamer" or anything I've posted as actual "Flaming" in decades. I'm just a dude posting on forums where I generally see at least a couple of familiar faces; faces who coincidentally may have become familiar on a previous "Flame" forum.

I ran a board at ootikof.net for some years until there were only about 4 of us left and the other three only wanted to throw C&P'd political articles and memes at each other. At that point I decided it had been a good run but it was time to close up shop.

I don't often engage in political discussions on forums because hyper-partisanship has gotten completely ridiculous. One side either blames literally everything on republicans/conservatives (despite all the evidence that democrats are equally culpable) or has some form of Trump Derangement Syndrome and abandoned all reason in 2016. The other side blames literally everything on democrats/liberals and in some cases even call for the murder of "lefties" just for having an alternative worldview.

There's no room in that insanity for any real discussion much less debate which is just as well because such would be utterly pointless... both sides would only be talking *at* each other, not *with*.

These days I prefer to simply trade posts with people who amuse, entertain, interest or inspire me. I'm not here to 'accomplish' anything or to flog any sort of agenda; I'm here to have a little fun with other cunning linguists.

Oh! The nym...

...it's from my favorite Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) story 'The Long Walk'.

There is a lots of politics and of the partisan variety here too. But, most of the people here will back off before it reaches the point of no return. One exception was when mandates dominated the news. We had a vicious pro and anti split here. That is behind us now, so hopefully we never let things get that far again.

Welcome aboard Gerraty_47. I hope you like it here.

Garraty_47

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=464084 time=1657826217 user_id=2015

Thanks, and so far it's been very enjoyable.

Anonymous

Quote from: Garraty_47 post_id=464085 time=1657826479 user_id=3381

Thanks, and so far it's been very enjoyable.

Right on. Are you in a band?

Erica Mena

Fucking Vit turned into a real life mountain man.
<t></t>

Garraty_47

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=464087 time=1657827423 user_id=2015

LoL nah.

I have a harmonica around here someplace but I don't mess with it often enough to call the noises I make "music".

Garraty_47

Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=464091 time=1657828294 user_id=2845

That's nothing... you should have seen me before I chopped the beard off.

Anonymous

Quote from: Garraty_47 post_id=464092 time=1657828507 user_id=3381
Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=464087 time=1657827423 user_id=2015

LoL nah.

I have a harmonica around here someplace but I don't mess with it often enough to call the noises I make "music".

Lol. I think I have a triangle in my garage.

Anonymous

Welcum Gerraty ac_drinks

Anonymous

I haven't considered myself a "Flamer" or anything I've posted as actual "Flaming" in decades. I'm just a dude posting on forums where I generally see at least a couple of familiar faces; faces who coincidentally may have become familiar on a previous "Flame" forum.

I ran a board at ootikof.net for some years until there were only about 4 of us left and the other three only wanted to throw C&P'd political articles and memes at each other. At that point I decided it had been a good run but it was time to close up shop.

Oh! The nym...

There is a lots of politics and of the partisan variety here too. But, most of the people here will back off before it reaches the point of no return. One exception was when mandates dominated the news. We had a vicious pro and anti split here. That is behind us now, so hopefully we never let things get that far again.

Ya, we let shit get out of hand. it hasn't been the same since.

Erica Mena

Quote from: Garraty_47 post_id=464093 time=1657828591 user_id=3381
Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=464091 time=1657828294 user_id=2845

That's nothing... you should have seen me before I chopped the beard off.

You looked so good when you were a cop.
<t></t>