The best topic

Replies: 8358
Total votes: : 3

Last post: June 28, 2024, 10:14:20 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Implementing & Setting up Linux for everyday practical use for the average person

Started by Anonymous, August 14, 2022, 04:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

....I thought I'd post this thread cuz some the posters here said they use it for everyday personal use.

However...since a number of them got banned from other forums for various reasons we can't hear from them anymore.

So...just wanted to get their input or advice on how to set up linux. I was thinkin of installing Linux on an intel mac pro. 1 advantage of it is its open source & doesn't have any restrictions or licensing requirements like Windows or Apple OSX.

However the downside is it must be difficult to set up.

Still Linux supports some pretty powerful coomercial software which is steadily growing. Da vinci Resolve, Maya & others.

I was thinkin of installing Centro Linux tho I'm aware there are others. Mint. Ubuntu,  Red Hat, Delphi, etc.

Anyways you Linux users, how did you set up Linux and do you incorporate into your routine & which apps do you use? Be interesting to know how Linux can be used in the real world as I'm interested in going in that direction

Oliver Clotheshoffe

Download a distro and put it on a USB stick or burn the image to a DVD. Boot it up and you can run it live without installing it to try it out. If you like it go ahead and install it. I've always used a blank hard drive but you can install it alongside Windows too. I've never had a Mac so I don't know about that.

Quick tip - have all the hardware you're going to use already hooked up. Trying to add a piece of hardware after installation requires rebuilding the kernel and that's only for advanced users. Wifi is the biggest problem with Linux as Realtek won't support Linux and they control most of the wifi out there. I had this problem so I bought a Wifi extender and ran a cable to the computer for a quick easy fix.

My most used apps are Firefox, Gimp, Blender, Synfig, Inkscape, Audacity, VLC media player and DosBox (love those old DOS games). They all run fine with no problems, in fact they run better on Linux than on Windows (Synfig won't even run on Windows).

Try a distro for new users. Linux Mint is the best because everything just works out of the box. Ubuntu is also good and I use MX Linux as it has the best desktop I've found.

Expect to spend some time learning how the system works, using the package manager to install programs and the such. It can seem confusing at first so just take it slow and you'll get the hang of it. There's tons of help on the net if you need it.

Good luck!
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Anonymous

Quote from: "Oliver Clotheshoffe" post_id=470807 time=1660518030 user_id=3349
Download a distro and put it on a USB stick or burn the image to a DVD. Boot it up and you can run it live without installing it to try it out. If you like it go ahead and install it. I've always used a blank hard drive but you can install it alongside Windows too. I've never had a Mac so I don't know about that.

Quick tip - have all the hardware you're going to use already hooked up. Trying to add a piece of hardware after installation requires rebuilding the kernel and that's only for advanced users. Wifi is the biggest problem with Linux as Realtek won't support Linux and they control most of the wifi out there. I had this problem so I bought a Wifi extender and ran a cable to the computer for a quick easy fix.

My most used apps are Firefox, Gimp, Blender, Synfig, Inkscape, Audacity, VLC media player and DosBox (love those old DOS games). They all run fine with no problems, in fact they run better on Linux than on Windows (Synfig won't even run on Windows).

Try a distro for new users. Linux Mint is the best because everything just works out of the box. Ubuntu is also good and I use MX Linux as it has the best desktop I've found.

Expect to spend some time learning how the system works, using the package manager to install programs and the such. It can seem confusing at first so just take it slow and you'll get the hang of it. There's tons of help on the net if you need it.

Good luck!

Thanks OlliE

I was looking at Centros Linux cuz it's the one that supposedly supports high end apps like da vinci Resolve & it's specified as the one to use.

Seems not all versions of Linux will support every app.

Some do it better than others.

And I suppose ya need compatible hardware graphics cards too.

Same time Centro looks difficult to set up.

Rancidmilko

There\'s always a bigger fish.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Just Joe" post_id=470793 time=1660507774
....I thought I'd post this thread cuz some the posters here said they use it for everyday personal use.

However...since a number of them got banned from other forums for various reasons we can't hear from them anymore.

So...just wanted to get their input or advice on how to set up linux. I was thinkin of installing Linux on an intel mac pro. 1 advantage of it is its open source & doesn't have any restrictions or licensing requirements like Windows or Apple OSX.

Still Linux supports some pretty powerful coomercial software which is steadily growing. Da vinci Resolve, Maya & others.

I was thinkin of installing Centro Linux tho I'm aware there are others. Mint. Ubuntu,  Red Hat, Delphi, etc.

Anyways you Linux users, how did you set up Linux and do you incorporate into your routine & which apps do you use? Be interesting to know how Linux can be used in the real world as I'm interested in going in that direction

You can register and post if you want..

I was asked to lift the ban..

I'll put you on ignore.

Biggie Smiles

Installing linux on an standard intel platform is easy

Especially Ubuntu

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: "Just Joe" post_id=470819 time=1660524063
Quote from: "Oliver Clotheshoffe" post_id=470807 time=1660518030 user_id=3349

Good luck!

Thanks OlliE

I was looking at Centros Linux cuz it's the one that supposedly supports high end apps like da vinci Resolve & it's specified as the one to use.

You mean Centos.  

That's what I ran SG on

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=470880 time=1660533638 user_id=3254

You can register and post if you want..

I was asked to lift the ban..

I'll put you on ignore.

Don't worry Fashionista.

I'm gonna somethin positive about your culture in the near future.

I was gonna try out this Taiwanese Restaurant near where I live cuz they have this pork belly dish that looks tasty and they advertise.

Then I'll post a pic & a writeup of this place.

Thx

Anonymous

Quote from: "Biggie Smiles" post_id=470883 time=1660533950 user_id=3214
Quote from: "Just Joe" post_id=470819 time=1660524063

Thanks OlliE

You mean Centos.  

That's what I ran SG on

Centos is the one they run all those high end software's on. Trick is to find the right hardware which will accommodate it. I hear Linux distros are finicky & don't always accept all the configurations & gpus.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview