The best topic

Replies: 8385
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:46:41 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Joo

Started by Erica Mena, August 21, 2022, 12:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: UoT post_id=475829 time=1664562866
Quote from: formosan post_id=475808 time=1664544601 user_id=3391

On what forum was that?

The Retard Farm (aka Third Rail Foum).

I posted there using Shen Li's handle. i forget what it was. She posted it here with the password and said help yourself.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=475846 time=1664602712
Quote from: UoT post_id=475829 time=1664562866

The Retard Farm (aka Third Rail Foum).

I posted there using Shen Li's handle. i forget what it was. She posted it here with the password and said help yourself.

I pulled a similar stunt back at BH in the day. Three weeks after being made an admin of the place, I was ready to hand it all back and drop off the regs roll, something I knew would be received poorly because "once a reg, always a reg". And part of being a reg was to accept the favours of those with elevated access in return for slavering obeisance. Favours including things like hoovering up the contents of their PM boxes and dumping them out into the public eye, dragging their real life affairs into the fray and banning them if they even looked like returning the favour.  Mob mentality at the expense of the underclass (in this case the non-regs), holding them to standards we ourselves were never expected to meet. The Retard Farm ran pretty much along similar lines.

I made my decision stick though. I killed my account's reg room access, then I unchecked all the elevated permissions fields in the c-panel and clicked "OK". It took about ten minutes for anyone to notice, during which time I shared my login credentials with another non-reg by the name of Sublime who had not long before arrived from person.com. Another person.commer by the name of Jewels who had been putting the moves on the forum owner Doomsday started getting in my face about the change of my account status, little realising that it wasn't actually me she was talking to, then ran braying to the forum owner who assured her that yes, my account would be restored to the regs as was proper, but no, no admin access would be forthcoming since I had in fact abused my privilege by changing my own permissions. She returned to gloat over my being regged whether I liked it or not, then five minutes later began to screech that it wasn't actually me running the account when she realised she was in fact talking to Sublime. Whereupon my account was instantly dropped back into the non-regs group, to my amusement as well as others.

To say it pissed off the board owners was somewhat of an understatement; I was regarded as a "power flamer" and had been proudly touted as such for many years. And I had thrown their highest accolades back in their face and contrived a situation where my decision was binding and nothing at their disposal could trump it. They were the "cool kids" and I couldn't be arsed to take a seat at their table was all, but the way they carried on you would have thought I'd committed the crime of the century. Fuck 'em, I handed my login out to a few more people, occasionally posted from it myself as Doomsday's increasingly hollow promises of my being returned to the regs were posted while others tied themselves up in knots trying to figure out whose post was whose.

After about three weeks of this, Doomsday finally accepted the inevitable and I got to stay in the weeds with the rest of the non-regs. I don't think he ever forgave me for it, he sure as hell followed me about for years after attempting to poach users from groups I was participating in, if not leading. After four or five years I did return to the board and ultimately the regs, but by that time the board was clearly dying. For what it's worth, it was BH in this state that places like SG and TRF styled themselves after. Had their leading lights been about to see places like F4$ and BH in its formative years, they might have had a better example on how to run a forum and consequently enjoy better longevity, but no matter.

formosan

I don't like that kind of modding..

These are anonymous message boards.....admins should respect that.
too old to be a fashionista

Anonymous

Quote from: formosan post_id=475864 time=1664631970 user_id=3391

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The responsibility rests as much with the contributor as it does the administrator; if you find yourself at a board that is being run by total cunts, you've only yourself to blame if you insist on sticking around for the encores.

formosan

Quote from: UoT post_id=475866 time=1664632182
Quote from: formosan post_id=475864 time=1664631970 user_id=3391

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. The responsibility rests as much with the contributor as it does the administrator; if you find yourself at a board that is being run by total cunts, you've only yourself to blame if you insist on sticking around for the encores.

Sometimes it can't take a long time for posters to realize..

A poster on SG was mentioning how the owner of another forum betrayed their trust.
too old to be a fashionista

Anonymous

Quote from: formosan post_id=475867 time=1664633167 user_id=3391
Quote from: UoT post_id=475866 time=1664632182

Sometimes it can't take a long time for posters to realize..

A poster on SG was mentioning how the owner of another forum betrayed their trust.

I'll bet you even more posters betray the trust of board owners. As in how many registrants scroll  past the terms and conditions to click that little magic box that says "I have read and understood this"?

Just think -- if they could be trusted to read and understand  the agreement AND abide by it, we  might well see entire forums where moderation would be wholly unnecessary.  ac_biggrin