Last post: Today at 10:21:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Attention all guest posters

Started by Erica Mena, October 19, 2022, 06:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakfall

Quote from: UoT post_id=477637 time=1666256533
Quote from: "Melvin Gibson" post_id=477625 time=1666246032

That doesn't work.  Guests won't want to wait days for their posts to maybe or maybe not appear...

I never had a problem waiting. I also never had a problem with guest posting being turned off either, there being plenty of options as far as e-socializing is concerned. I do have a problem with leaving a well defined digital footprint being tied to my most frank discourse though. Terms of reference can be reconsidered as verboten at any time, those who previously used them can be persecuted for it retroactively. I cannot predict which those might be (and neither can you) and muddying the history with a bunch of anonymous non-logins which pretty much anyone might employ at any given moment affords me a measure of plausible deniability. If the Goon Squad ever turned up on my doorstep, I would be in a better position than any registered user to deny I was even aware of the place, much less contributed to it.

Besides, for all the back and forth and with very few exceptions you are effectively strangers to me. That's not meant to be an insult, merely a statement of fact. I've no way of judging your trustworthiness other than through previous personal experience and in the absence of a long and unblemished close association the chance any one of you might find your interests better served by sacrificing any perceived allegiance is something worthy of my consideration.

Are you highly-strung? I love your verse by the way! I'm a fan.

Anonymous

Just covering my bases... in a spittle-flecked breeze of attar and halitosis that would make an onion cringe.

ac_biggrin

Anonymous

That doesn't work.  Guests won't want to wait days for their posts to maybe or maybe not appear...

I never had a problem waiting. I also never had a problem with guest posting being turned off either, there being plenty of options as far as e-socializing is concerned. I do have a problem with leaving a well defined digital footprint being tied to my most frank discourse though. Terms of reference can be reconsidered as verboten at any time, those who previously used them can be persecuted for it retroactively. I cannot predict which those might be (and neither can you) and muddying the history with a bunch of anonymous non-logins which pretty much anyone might employ at any given moment affords me a measure of plausible deniability. If the Goon Squad ever turned up on my doorstep, I would be in a better position than any registered user to deny I was even aware of the place, much less contributed to it.

Besides, for all the back and forth and with very few exceptions you are effectively strangers to me. That's not meant to be an insult, merely a statement of fact. I've no way of judging your trustworthiness other than through previous personal experience and in the absence of a long and unblemished close association the chance any one of you might find your interests better served by sacrificing any perceived allegiance is something worthy of my consideration.

I understand.  I have hosted Guest only boards myself.  I know both sides of the issue.

Mod approval won't work.  It will slow the flow, fuck up the flow when posts get approved, and moderators work for free so they don't give a fuck about approval.

Understand that 4chan is essentially the last big board on the netz that permits Guest posting, whereas once it was common.  It's a dying thing.  While I agree Guest posting has many merits for the user, not so much for the Admin.

I could cause so many problems here in the next 10 minutes if I wanted to, that it would overwhelm whoever is on staff...  I don't, but some may.

weebles

Fuck yeah Ace is in the house cheers brother ac_drinks

">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Melvin Gibson" post_id=477647 time=1666260629

I understand.  I have hosted Guest only boards myself.  I know both sides of the issue.

Mod approval won't work.  It will slow the flow, fuck up the flow when posts get approved, and moderators work for free so they don't give a fuck about approval.

Understand that 4chan is essentially the last big board on the netz that permits Guest posting, whereas once it was common.  It's a dying thing.  While I agree Guest posting has many merits for the user, not so much for the Admin.

I could cause so many problems here in the next 10 minutes if I wanted to, that it would overwhelm whoever is on staff...  I don't, but some may.

Yeah, I can imagine. But what would be the point? Just being oneself is enough to attract unwarranted attention. In fact I'm sure there's some being lavished on me in the last thread i posted in even as I post in this one. Some people get off on waving their dicks about over shit that scarcely warrants it.

I used to enjoy winding their leftie arses up over at Infinity-chan back in the day. Then the Christchurch Massacre happened and I wound up here. Like you, I could have fucked with the management's thrill to no end, but I thought I'd have some real fun instead. Abide by the rules (which was easy enough)while causing the odd malcontent to lose their shit by still being different enough to get them foaming at the mouth. Along with getting some interesting discourse going that challenged the more level headed of posters to offer their input. Messageboards thrive with activity; anyone who demands less activity is simply butthurt at not being able to keep up.

As for the work it poses admin.. meh. they can make the choice to shut it all down in a heartbeat and no fou. But for as long as they allow it, they get the benefit of mental exercise, which to my mind is no bad thing. Surely it's netter than dealing with keeping Semenjaw out, or dealing with a slew of plebians whining to ban various posters, lest they post the battlecry of "I'm leaving because you suck... and you cant stop me" every other day.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Stating The Obvious" post_id=477615 time=1666241899
Put guest posting on mod approval. Don't approve any post by Edweird, Apegirl or Seamoron. Easy peasy.

You make someone like kiebers a mod. If that still isn't fast enough they can register. In the case of Edweird, Seamoron and Apegirl, you don't activate their handles. So easy.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview