Replies: 7846
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 12:42:17 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

Smoking Marijuana More Harmful to Lungs Than Cigarettes: Study

Started by DKG, November 30, 2022, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

Smoking marijuana may do more damage to lungs than cigarettes, a new study suggests.

The study, published Tuesday in the peer-reviewed journal Radiology, found marijuana may be linked to an increased risk of emphysema over smoking tobacco alone.

The results come as states continue to legalize the drug and health experts, who are increasingly concerned with its impact on lung health, call for more research.

"It's no surprise to me," said Dr. David Kaminsky, a pulmonologist and professor of medicine at the University of Vermont, who is unaffiliated with the study. "A burning leaf is a burning leaf ... the lung doesn't know the difference if it's tobacco or marijuana."

Emphysema is a condition where the lungs' air sacs are damaged until they eventually rupture, according to the Mayo Clinic. It can cause a long-term cough, shortness of breath and wheezing, and it's irreversible once it develops.

The study looked at chest scans from 56 marijuana smokers, 33 tobacco-only smokers, and 57 nonsmokers taken from 2005 to 2020 in Canada.

Researchers found emphysema was more common in marijuana smokers than those who didn't smoke at all, and more common in marijuana smokers who were 50 and older than those who only smoked tobacco. They also found a certain subtype of emphysema that affects the outermost parts of the lung, called paraseptal emphysema, was more common in marijuana smokers compared to tobacco-only smokers, regardless of age.

The scans showed more instances of airway inflammation among marijuana smokers compared to people who smoked cigarettes only or not at all.

The average quantity of marijuana smoked by participants was about 1.85 grams per day, though less than half of the smokers specified their daily use. The study only included tobacco smokers who were 50 and older and smoked at least one pack per day for 25 years.  

Due to the some of the study's limitations, health experts say it's difficult to directly compare tobacco and marijuana risks. Fifty out of the 56 marijuana smokers also smoked tobacco, and study authors did not account for the participants' other health conditions.

However, experts say the study does ring alarm bells and suggests smoking marijuana may not be totally risk-free. They argue it's important to continue researching the risks and benefits of inhaling marijuana as more states begin to legalize the drug.

"There's definitely a concern that we're going to see another generation of lung disease related to these behaviors," said Dr. Albert Rizzo, chief medical officer of the American Lung Association.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/11/15/marijuana-more-harmful-cigarettes-study/8314645001/">https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 314645001/">https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/11/15/marijuana-more-harmful-cigarettes-study/8314645001/

If you like your mary jane, maybe you should stick to edibles.

Anonymous

I don't smoke, but I ate a pot brownie once.  I should have just had a bite...

DKG

Quote from: "The Treasurer" post_id=485133 time=1669825514 user_id=3382

As long as you didn't inhale it, you should be fine.

Frood

Seamajor eats potty brownies after first inhaling and savouring them.
Blahhhhhh...

Dove

Quote from: "The Treasurer" post_id=485133 time=1669825514 user_id=3382

Like this cop lol

">
My happiness is all of your misery. I put good dick all in my kidneys.

Blazor

I agree that the study aint accurate, because there was only 6 marijuana smokers out of 56, that didnt smoke tobacco too. Plus, it says the average was 1.85 grams a day.... thats a lot hahaha. Takes me half a week to smoke that much lol, and thats during the weekend half lol. It also doesnt mention HOW they were smoking, thats a biggie, cause if they are rolling blunts, thats technically smoking tobacco too.

I smoked cigs before mary jane, but the jane started shortly after. Only for about 5 years or so I did cigs. I had to clear my throat more often back then, and could tell the cigs were messing with my breathing. I quit cigs, and instantly felt better. If I smoke blunts, I do get a lil wheezy, I dont like it, not like I did when I was younger lol.

Supposedly, the cannabanoids in the jane, help remove cancerous cells from the lungs and such.

Edibles are different. They make me wanna relax. Too much and I pass out lol. My friend cant handle even a tiny amount, thinks hes on acid hahaha, where myself I can eat a huge amount lol.

In summary, nothing wrong with toking in moderation in my opinion.

- Dr. Blaze, Cashew Enquirer Magazine
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Buck

Quote from: Blazor post_id=485145 time=1669830481 user_id=2221
 Plus, it says the average was 1.85 grams a day.... thats a lot hahaha. Takes me half a week to smoke that much lol, and thats during the weekend half lol. It also doesnt mention HOW they were smoking, thats a biggie, cause if they are rolling blunts, thats technically smoking tobacco too.

That is alot.

I have one bifta before I go to bed as it helps with sleep.And I load it will about .3 gram,and that does me fine.

Aylana

They have chocolate pot...why would you want to smoke it when you can eat chocolate.

Blazor

Quote from: Buck post_id=485174 time=1669834694 user_id=3402
Quote from: Blazor post_id=485145 time=1669830481 user_id=2221
 Plus, it says the average was 1.85 grams a day.... thats a lot hahaha. Takes me half a week to smoke that much lol, and thats during the weekend half lol. It also doesnt mention HOW they were smoking, thats a biggie, cause if they are rolling blunts, thats technically smoking tobacco too.

That is alot.

I have one bifta before I go to bed as it helps with sleep.And I load it will about .3 gram,and that does me fine.

I use a lil pinch hitter, "might" go through .5 a day.

Blazor

Quote from: Aylana post_id=485175 time=1669834759 user_id=3385
They have chocolate pot...why would you want to smoke it when you can eat chocolate.

Because its harder to stop eating the chocolate  :laugh:

My friend makes 'em, Nestle crunch bars lol.

DKG

Quote from: Blazor post_id=485183 time=1669837703 user_id=2221
Quote from: Aylana post_id=485175 time=1669834759 user_id=3385

Because its harder to stop eating the chocolate  :laugh:

My friend makes 'em, Nestle crunch bars lol.

I heard you have a sweet tooth.

Oliver Clotheshoffe

All I know is I've smoked weed for forty years and I ain't dead yet.
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Dove

I would think it was worse for you based on the fact there is no filter involved in smoking weed. Unless you count a water bong.

But there are so many chemicals and toxins in cigarettes....uhg. I find this a hard sell. Plus the whole issue of how many weed smokers never smoked cigarettes really?
My happiness is all of your misery. I put good dick all in my kidneys.

Herman

Formaldehyde is produced when additives such as sugars, sorbitol, guar gum, cellulose fibres, and carob and gum in tobacco are burnt. Pot doesn't have all those additives.

Frood

Pot just rots teeth over time..... far worse than tobacco.
Blahhhhhh...