The best topic

Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

EV's, Reliable Power, et al

Started by Herman, December 24, 2022, 12:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Oerdin

That fire was in their grid scale power packs sold to utility companies.  My brother in law has a model Y, they used to have a model 3 but sold it (at a profit) in order to buy his model Y.  In my neighborhood there are five Teslas of various models but all of those are owned by people with multiple cars and the Tesla is just an extra car.

Personally, I don't see myself buying an E.V. unless I absolutely have to because I just don't see them being worth it.

DKG

Quote from: Oerdin on September 29, 2023, 02:07:11 AMThat fire was in their grid scale power packs sold to utility companies.  My brother in law has a model Y, they used to have a model 3 but sold it (at a profit) in order to buy his model Y.  In my neighborhood there are five Teslas of various models but all of those are owned by people with multiple cars and the Tesla is just an extra car.

Personally, I don't see myself buying an E.V. unless I absolutely have to because I just don't see them being worth it.
I know of people who have electric bikes, but not ev's. What are the grid scale power packs for those of who ignorant how ev's work?

Oerdin

They are basically shipping containers with dozens and dozens of car batteries in them which electric companies use to store a few hours of electric power.  It is designed to give the electric company time to spowl a speaker plant in the event there is an unexpected demand spike.

The problem is they are very expensive, they don't seem to last very long, and they have the tendency to blow up.

Oerdin

Brent

I let my friends and family know if they buy an electric car and come over for a visit, you can't plug it in at our house while you are here. I wouldn't buy your gas, so why would I pay for your power.
Agree Agree x 1 Winner Winner x 1 View List

Herman

I knew it. The electric vehicle industry means more coal fired electricity. :crampe:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/electric-vehicle-battery-factory-coal-plant-kansas?utm_source=theblaze-dailyPM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__PM%202023-10-01&utm_term=ACTIVE%20LIST%20-%20TheBlaze%20Daily%20PM
A new electric vehicle battery factory in Kansas will require so much energy that a coal plant slated for closure will now remain open, plus it will be expanded.

Panasonic is building a $4 billion EV battery factory in De Soto, Kansas. The upcoming lithium-ion battery manufacturing facility is expected to start mass production of EV batteries by the end of March 2025.

Despite the massive $4 billion price tag for the 2.7 million square foot Panasonic facility, the Japanese company is "poised to get as much as $6.8 billion from provisions in last year's federal Inflation Reduction Act," according to a July report from the Kansas City Star. The Japanese company is expected to receive state and local incentives – pushing the total financial incentives to as much as $8 billion.

This massive EV battery factory will require enormous amounts of power. So much energy, in fact, that a local coal-fired plant will be expanded and the life of the plant will be extended.

The EV battery factory will reportedly require between 200 and 250 megawatts of electricity to operate – roughly the same amount of power needed for a small city.

Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

Thiel

Quote from: Herman on October 01, 2023, 07:53:46 PMI knew it. The electric vehicle industry means more coal fired electricity. :crampe:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/electric-vehicle-battery-factory-coal-plant-kansas?utm_source=theblaze-dailyPM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__PM%202023-10-01&utm_term=ACTIVE%20LIST%20-%20TheBlaze%20Daily%20PM
A new electric vehicle battery factory in Kansas will require so much energy that a coal plant slated for closure will now remain open, plus it will be expanded.

Panasonic is building a $4 billion EV battery factory in De Soto, Kansas. The upcoming lithium-ion battery manufacturing facility is expected to start mass production of EV batteries by the end of March 2025.

Despite the massive $4 billion price tag for the 2.7 million square foot Panasonic facility, the Japanese company is "poised to get as much as $6.8 billion from provisions in last year's federal Inflation Reduction Act," according to a July report from the Kansas City Star. The Japanese company is expected to receive state and local incentives – pushing the total financial incentives to as much as $8 billion.

This massive EV battery factory will require enormous amounts of power. So much energy, in fact, that a local coal-fired plant will be expanded and the life of the plant will be extended.

The EV battery factory will reportedly require between 200 and 250 megawatts of electricity to operate – roughly the same amount of power needed for a small city.

If one in five of the world's private cars were electric, it would mean much greater demand for electricity. Wind and solar cannot come close to meeting a fraction of current demand.
gay, conservative and proud

Adolf Oliver Bush

Quote from: Thiel on October 01, 2023, 09:40:14 PMIf one in five of the world's private cars were electric, it would mean much greater demand for electricity. Wind and solar cannot come close to meeting a fraction of current demand.
Which I imagine is the entire point. You'll be required to remain in your domicile, eating your laboratory approved bugsicles while the government partnered grid harvests the power you already paid for from your car battery. Because net-zero and shit. And climate change, whatever, just shut up and be happy or we'll zero out all your CBDC-bux and send the nice representative from Blackrock around to relocate you into a nice little cardboard box.

I imagine there are those here that would champion their benevolent leaders into such a course of action, along with crying bitterly about the end result when it happens to them.
Her fucking fupa looked like a pair of ass cheeks... like someone naked ran into her head first and got stuck. She was like "come eat me out" and I was like "nah I think I'll go snort some anthrax and light myself on fire instead"

- Biggie Smiles

Herman

Quote from: Thiel on October 01, 2023, 09:40:14 PMIf one in five of the world's private cars were electric, it would mean much greater demand for electricity. Wind and solar cannot come close to meeting a fraction of current demand.
It is bullshit and they know it.

Biggie Smiles

Jeez

you'd think they were actively trying to destroy the US with all of this

https://www.vox.com/climate/23893057/power-electricity-grid-heat-wave-record-blackout-outage-climate

Now this is a liberal news source and even they recognize that the US power grid is straining under the current load

so yeah, raise that load by 20-30% by conservative estimates in a year -- what could go wrong?

Oliver the Second

Funny Funny x 1 Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

Thiel

gay, conservative and proud