The best topic

Replies: 10404
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:47:48 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

An essay on progressive education.....

Started by Obvious Li, May 01, 2014, 11:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 14 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"you mean, you can honestly say that if you were to go to any mall in vancouver, walk down any street, attend any nightclub or public function....listen to the conversations around you and not conclude there is a problem with a large portion of the male population........then you for sure are trolling here homy..... :lol:

What problem? Any feminazis making you less of a man recently?

Some boys are succeeding despite being born with the no longer necessary skills of being tough and strong.

Romero

Nobody's trying to make boys and men less tough and strong.

ghost

Gonna throw my 2 cents in.

I think the public education system is failing both girls and boys these days.

As for the author of the article. I did a bit of research. He's a self-published author with books that don't sell and has been proudly quoted as saying this:

Fred Reed, who has referred to Oprah Winfrey as looking "like five hundred pounds of bear liver in a plastic bag,"

and this gem

As nearly as I can tell, a racist is one who approves of rigorous education, good English, civilized manners, minimal criminality, and responsible parenthood, among other things.

Yeah, not to be taken seriously.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Nobody's trying to make boys and men less tough and strong.

But it is not what leads to success according to Ms. Buchmann.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "ghost"Gonna throw my 2 cents in.

As for the author of the article. I did a bit of research. He's a self-published author with books that don't sell and has been proudly quoted as saying this:

Fred Reed, who has referred to Oprah Winfrey as looking "like five hundred pounds of bear liver in a plastic bag,"

and this gem

As nearly as I can tell, a racist is one who approves of rigorous education, good English, civilized manners, minimal criminality, and responsible parenthood, among other things.

ghost..you can do better than that..if you expect those that disagree with you to take you seriously then do the same...regardless of what the author thinks or has written he brings up a valid and pertinent point regarding the schooling of boys in the progressive system.....we are discussing that point....it has nothing to do with who the author is which is why i excluded his name....and your claims of racism about someone who you happen to disagree with go directly to the point here...saying what you think or pointing out facts you don't like is not necessarily always racist...it could be someones validly held opinion.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

and this gem

ghost..you can do better than that..if you expect those that disagree with you to take you seriously then do the same...regardless of what the author thinks or has written he brings up a valid and pertinent point regarding the schooling of boys in the progressive system.....we are discussing that point....it has nothing to do with who the author is which is why i excluded his name....and your claims of racism about someone who you happen to disagree with go directly to the point here...saying what you think or pointing out facts you don't like is not necessarily always racist...it could be someones validly held opinion.

Fred Reed is not the first person to say that public education is failing little boys..

As for the supposedly racist quote, it seems so obvious that it has been taken out of context to discredit the message..

I don't like that kind of smear the messenger tactic..

I feel Kathleen Parker has faced similar smears in response to her book, Save The Males.

ghost

Actually, Fash. I took that quote off his book jacket. He added that quote himself and seems rather proud of it.

ghost

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

and this gem

Sorry, but I have trouble taking a redneck hillbilly seriously. By that logic, we should all be listening to sharkhunter.

As I said, I feel the system is poor for both sexes.

RW

ghost, I'm not a huge fan of the author's word choice but I agree with the premise that school is failing boys on a very fundemental level.
Beware of Gaslighters!

ghost

Interesting.

Just did a little more reading on the author, Fred Reed, and found out that most of what he writes is satirical. So basically, even he doesn't believe in what he's writing.

RW

Was the over exaggerated language not enough to give that away?
Beware of Gaslighters!

ghost

Quote from: "Real Woman"Was the over exaggerated language not enough to give that away?

No. Just seeing the posts here shows that all sorts of weirdos believe all sorts of things.

Romero

Quote5 Complaints About Modern Teens (That Are Statistically BS)

#2. "I Swear, Kids Get Dumber Every Year"

The Complaint:

I fear for our nation, knowing that the idiots growing up in today's education system will be running our country someday. Have you talked to these morons? It's like trying to have a conversation with the fish in my aquarium.

But Actually ...

On the whole, today's teens are exponentially smarter than the generations before them. It's most apparent when you look at education completion rates. From 1970 to 2013, the number of kids dropping out of school has been cut nearly in half.

They've also realized that they're at a severe disadvantage in the workforce without a college degree, so we're seeing a significant increase in students completing their higher education. According to one study, one-third of 25- to 29-year-olds have a bachelor's degree or higher. For some perspective, that number was barely over 10 percent through the mid-1960s.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-complaints-about-modern-teens-that-are-statistically-bs_p2/">//http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-complaints-about-modern-teens-that-are-statistically-bs_p2/

High school graduation rates have never been higher and dropout rates never lower.

Literacy is at an all time high.

More youth are taking post-secondary and getting degrees.

More youth know more than one language.

And they're the most tech savvy.

Obvious Li

it is not unexpected to see that some of the responses here are textbook.....what you would expect.....attack the messenger because you can't attack the message type of responses we have become used to......from the usual suspects...that type of thinking is fully and firmly entrenched in the system from top to bottom....calling people who espouse the truth; racists, bigots, homophobes etc. has been a very effective tool to silence opposition for the past two decades....lets hope it will see it's day soon...Fred Reed mostly writes (sometimes satirically) about the condition of black schools, black students, black teachers and black education in american cities...it is not a pretty picture...the quote you referred to said the following:

"As nearly as I can tell, a racist is one who approves of rigorous education, good English, civilized manners, minimal criminality, and responsible parenthood, among other things."

which is what he has been labelled for daring to expose the current educational system is sadly lacking in all those outcomes for blacks and for pointing out the sad condition of the black educational system...again, when someone points out an uncomfortable truth...using the"racist" card is the first line of attack for the intellectually dishonest.

RW

Quote from: "ghost"
Quote from: "Real Woman"Was the over exaggerated language not enough to give that away?

No. Just seeing the posts here shows that all sorts of weirdos believe all sorts of things.

You do realise ghost that he's not the first person to made such observations or identify this systemic problem right?

GAH!  I'm doing it again :(
Beware of Gaslighters!