The best topic

Replies: 8528
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:05:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Today’s youngin will never understand..

Started by Erica Mena, February 15, 2023, 03:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Erica Mena

Quote from: Blazor post_id=494241 time=1676514909 user_id=2221
Today's youngin's will never understand a fuck ton of what we had. I feel bad for these kids.

Right? I swear my kids will "eww" everything from our generation.
<t></t>

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: "Erica Mena" post_id=494278 time=1676561778 user_id=2845
Today's youngin's will never understand a fuck ton of what we had. I feel bad for these kids.

My kids cant even fathom that we had to break out the big map books when we was going somewhere unknown and far away

They be looking at me all strange like "why you didn't just use the GPS on your phone"

Blazor

Us 80's kids didnt know it at the time, but we were the last of the greatest. We were Gods lol.

Kids are trained to hate the old ways, cause it goes against the agenda.

And to think, these the brats that are suppose to wipe our asses when we get old  :laugh:   If they can get off their phone for 5 mins lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Biggie Smiles" post_id=494280 time=1676565148 user_id=3214

My kids cant even fathom that we had to break out the big map books when we was going somewhere unknown and far away

They be looking at me all strange like "why you didn't just use the GPS on your phone"

We didnt even have cell phones  :laugh:

Fuck, when I delivered pizza, if someone didnt answer the door, we had to find a pay phone to call them lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: Blazor post_id=494285 time=1676566143 user_id=2221
Quote from: "Biggie Smiles" post_id=494280 time=1676565148 user_id=3214

Fuck, when I delivered pizza, if someone didnt answer the door, we had to find a pay phone to call them lol.

lol -- and you needed one of those big map books I'm betting

them shits was annoying as fuck

Garraty_47

Quote from: "Biggie Smiles" post_id=494287 time=1676566582 user_id=3214
Quote from: Blazor post_id=494285 time=1676566143 user_id=2221

lol -- and you needed one of those big map books I'm betting

them shits was annoying as fuck

I delivered for Pizza Inn (Salem) between graduation and going to basic training.

Drove an old converted mail Jeep that had a map of our area laminated and glued to a tray next to the driver's seat.

It was fun but a bit top heavy... almost tipped it a couple times on sharp curves. LoL

Anonymous

I miss the old street directories for the ability to do your own route planning and not simply leave it to a computer to tell you where to go. The kids of today have been bred into being a bunch of conformist cabbage-craniumed cockmongling cuckpigs that need a good smack upside their moonfaced oblong shaped heads to think for themselves.

Herman

Quote from: Guest post_id=494253 time=1676540512
Quote from: Herman post_id=494226 time=1676509996 user_id=3396

Old Brick was a Bowie fan. I don't know anyone else that likes Bowie's music.

Me. Early stuff mostly, up to and including the Scary Monsters album. It tends to get a bit hit or miss for my tastes after that...

Maybe I never gave his music a fair shake. He kept changing his musicial style over his long career. It was hard to keep up with the guy.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=494316 time=1676589691 user_id=3396
Quote from: Guest post_id=494253 time=1676540512

Me. Early stuff mostly, up to and including the Scary Monsters album. It tends to get a bit hit or miss for my tastes after that...

Maybe I never gave his music a fair shake. He kept changing his musicial style over his long career. It was hard to keep up with the guy.

Think of it more along the lines of "what new shit have you got for me this time". Some artists get accused of each new album sounding the same as their last - not a bad thing if you like familiar territory and I'd be lying if I said there weren't any examples of that in my collection, but I do appreciate a surprise, a bit of variety.

Prince did Prince. Frank Zappa did Frank Zappa. Robert Fripp did Robert Fripp. David Bowie did David Bowie. And so on. It earned them a lot of criticism, changing their entertainment chops up as they did, but it did earn them accolades in some quarters too. You know what you like; if there's anything in what any entertainer does that gets your foot tapping. it's worth it to you in the moment and so what if whatever comes next - you still have your enjoyment of what you *did* like.

Herman

I like continuity. If Ronnie had survived the plane crash and Skynyrd started doing hip hop, I sure as hell would not have listened to them. Not even their old shit that I like.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=494341 time=1676595135 user_id=3396
I like continuity. If Ronnie had survived the plane crash and Skynyrd started doing hip hop, I sure as hell would not have listened to them. Not even their old shit that I like.

Yeah, I think we differ there. I've got a large-ish collection of Zappa I only listen to a quarter of, same with King Crimson, but only four albums I listen to with any sort of regularity. I poke no end of fun at The Wiggles which is pure cringe, but still enjoy dropping a Cockroaches record on the turntable at times. Deep Purple, Kraftwerk, Stranglers... I can still enjoy an artists former work long after they've started delving into genre's I don't necessarily want to hear.

And hip hop.... depends on how it's presented I guess. If it sounds interesting and not like a bunch of trucks reversing while some homo gibbers all angry and jealous about how many cocks his mother sucked, I might give it a cursory listen. There was a guy out of Fortitude Valley by the name of Eddie Jacobsen I didn't mind for instance, used to front a band called Butterfingers back in the day... I'll listen to that.

">

Funniest thing; if the pair of you sat down to yarn about it, you'd probably agree on the state of most hip hop. He can't stand much of the current stuff either.

Frood

Quote from: Guest post_id=494305 time=1676586799
I miss the old street directories for the ability to do your own route planning and not simply leave it to a computer to tell you where to go. The kids of today have been bred into being a bunch of conformist cabbage-craniumed cockmongling cuckpigs that need a good smack upside their moonfaced oblong shaped heads to think for themselves.

I see no difference between paper or digital maps except you can find your exact location on digital via gps, if enabled.

We regularly have to receive privately created maps of state and national parks in order to work the tracks in exact manners, guidelines.

Sometimes we have both paper and digital for a track or tracks, but I suspect plotting way points digitally is a whole lot more believable than holding a length of string to the scale and measuring out windy kilometres worked, then later a snapshot of the string, for when payments need to be made.

Unless of course the world goes mad and emp balloons go off.... then paper is king.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: Frood post_id=494361 time=1676615584 user_id=1676
Quote from: Guest post_id=494305 time=1676586799

I see no difference between paper or digital maps except you can find your exact location on digital via gps, if enabled.

We regularly have to receive privately created maps of state and national parks in order to work the tracks in exact manners, guidelines.

Sometimes we have both paper and digital for a track or tracks, but I suspect plotting way points digitally is a whole lot more believable than holding a length of string to the scale and measuring out windy kilometres worked, then later a snapshot of the string, for when payments need to be made.

Unless of course the world goes mad and emp balloons go off.... then paper is king.

And the people who can interpret it satisfactorily. Which as time goes on will become rarer and rarer as successive generations, used to being told where to go by an AI, lose the ability to understand how to use it.

A new old timey wimey telephone directory showed up in my mailbox yesterday. Blast from the past it was. And strangely enough, more easily nagigable than trying to ferret out local business names than Google, go figure.

Frood

Quote from: Guest post_id=494365 time=1676617015
Quote from: Frood post_id=494361 time=1676615584 user_id=1676

And the people who can interpret it satisfactorily. Which as time goes on will become rarer and rarer as successive generations, used to being told where to go by an AI, lose the ability to understand how to use it.

A new old timey wimey telephone directory showed up in my mailbox yesterday. Blast from the past it was. And strangely enough, more easily nagigable than trying to ferret out local business names than Google, go figure.

Their process can't be perfected much more than how perfect it is now and after nearly a century of study.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

I know this much, if I needed to take a shit in the outback, I'd much prefer to wipe my ass with a street directory than a Garmin.