Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Christian Corner

Started by Anonymous, July 27, 2013, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"My parents have been to Graceland. My mother especially has always been a huge fan.

Elvis was a great gospel singer and had much success with several albums. Gospel was a large influence from an early age.

Elvis Presley died long before I was born, but from what I read he was not very religious. In fact, I thought he invented the rock and or roll lifestyle?

I admit I could be dead wrong about this, but this is MY understanding. Correct me if I am wrong.

Romero

There are conflicting accounts on how religious he was. Seemed to have an 'on and off again' relationship at times with Christianity and never took it seriously. He apparently liked to learn about other religions and spirituality.

cc

You got me goin with that crap

I know of no conflict within him ... maybe in some writers, reporters or people who knew him a bit and wanted attention for themselves minds only.  From all I have read, studied and listened to and observed, throughout his career and whenever he could he would consistently spin off into gospel music ... the "soul" kind of gospel music.

When just jammin, he was known to always slide into it until it took over the session

Not only do it, but do it with powerful feeling. My impression  always was that he was a deep and genuine believer at all times ... period ... he was transformed instantly in the first line of a gospel song into a different being. He consistently defined "deep belief" like no one I have ever known of

Listen to his work, watch his face and posture positions when doing one ... it all screamed of "humble"  throughout in total 180 degree contrast with his love songs and deep rock songs  ... whether a gospel song or a purely inspirational song  and tell me he was not a DEEP believer. Actually I'm amazed anyone would question that. It was always just "obvious" ... a "given" ... as I saw it ... from before he became known  (day one) to the end

Conflicted with daily life, yes .... with his deep belief, no - writers or reporters gotta write, speculators gotta speculate, eh?

Here's one that is mainly inspirational but based on deep belief - believe? Yup!

hmmm .. thought I knew this routine - lost my touch posting video? - Sorry couldn't find "in-concert" for all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CMlYVu9J4g&list=PLhRm9uwA59i_MHu7XR3A1Y8c4_8jIZaVP">If I Can Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODtExxkW0ws&index=2&list=PLhRm9uwA59i_MHu7XR3A1Y8c4_8jIZaVP"> I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMD8d7oUjxw&list=RDSMD8d7oUjxw">Peace in the Valley
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

">In-Concert Medley

I came in later in his career, liked him so studied up on him. Mostly liked the true original Memphis Blues / Rock  ... them some of the slow love songs started to grow on me  ... then, while not a outward religious type I came to respect his powerful and humble belief reflected in his gospel stuff ... as part of his "person".

From all I have studied, any thought he had mixed feeling is garbage and an insult to his "consistent" sincerity throughout his career. Yes, the last cpl of years were sad as he allowed his handlers to destroy him, but I choose to think about the real man who died a cpl of years before the official date.

Many don't know but he was one of the earliest and strongest supporters of blacks long before that was fashionable .. jeopardizing his career by always having tremendous black backup females ... always he loved being midst blacks. His talent, personality and strong beliefs prevailed. I swear, with his ability to sing and move with true feeling .. naturally ... unlike most all other whites .. with ingrained  rhythm and ability to move naturally to music  ... and an affinity toward blacks in that era ... it was like he was born black

Quote from: "Wiki" His energized interpretations of songs and sexually provocative performance style, combined with a singularly potent mix of influences across color lines that coincided with the dawn of the Civil Rights Movement, made him enormously popular—and controversial.

Face fat showing from all the drugs fed to him to keep him performing, his deep-rooted believe is still obvious

">Why Me Lord ( Fantasy Concert in Memphis 1974)

From the Hawaii Concert (a fav of mine) 73, before the toll was taken

">This time Lord, You gave me a mountain

writers or reporters gotta write, speculators gotta speculate, eh?

Anonymous

^It appears we have someone who is a true Elvis expert. Look, I know next to nothing about Mr. Presley other than the impersonators I see when I am in Vegas. I had heard he was a womanizer, a heavy drinker and a junkie. Again, I could be dead wrong, but I thought he lived the rock and roll lifestyle with the best of them.

cc

Not an "expert", but have made a point to know about his life and music - I hate that word  lol. I see it as derived from 2 words - "Ex" & "Spurt"

Anyhow, he was the opposite of all that ... a loner .. often a brooder locked inside his mind in fact

Never heard of any drinking nor street drugging. In effect, he did allow himself to be very slowly sucked in by his "new" handlers in late 73 who fed him prescription drugs to keep him going at a breakneck pace = lots of bucks for them ... trying to make the gravy train continue at breakneck pace. When a few upper type drugs were not enough to keep him going, then added more ... until there was nothing left of him but a bloat faced tragedy that I found too difficult  to look at.

He was at the top of his game in early 73 (Aloha concert one of his best .. alive, having fun, showing just how good he was). His entire career was slowly and carefully paced and he shone. Then a new group of greedy inhumane handlers took over and slowly killed  him

Just before that started - On his game although early signs of drug weight gain

">Here is the real deal at top of his game Start slow and slowly build to fever pitch .. "timing" ... "speed / mood changes"  I have seen in only a cpl of other great artists

cc

My all time favorite - the "in the round segment of his 68 Comeback" ... relaxed, candid, making fun of himself ... showing his personality and humility  ..goofin around for all to see in an intimate setting .. showing that while others took him seriously - He did not

Starts at 3.40 > 22 minutes ..... immediately followed a turn to the religious lead off by his favorite (and fabulous)   dancer (a very african black of course)

Back to casual "in the round" at 30.20 > 52.40

">

Black leather .... cc goes pant pant  ...  :evil:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Not an "expert", but have made a point to know about his life and music - I hate that word  lol. I see it as derived from 2 words - "Ex" & "Spurt"

Anyhow, he was the opposite of all that ... a loner .. often a brooder locked inside his mind in fact

Never heard of any drinking nor street drugging. In effect, he did allow himself to be very slowly sucked in by his "new" handlers in late 73 who fed him prescription drugs to keep him going at a breakneck pace = lots of bucks for them ... trying to make the gravy train continue at breakneck pace. When a few upper type drugs were not enough to keep him going, then added more ... until there was nothing left of him but a bloat faced tragedy that I found too difficult  to look at.

He was at the top of his game in early 73 (Aloha concert one of his best .. alive, having fun, showing just how good he was). His entire career was slowly and carefully paced and he shone. Then a new group of greedy inhumane handlers took over and slowly killed  him

Just before that started - On his game although early signs of drug weight gain

">Here is the real deal at top of his game Start slow and slowly build to fever pitch .. "timing" ... "speed / mood changes"  I have seen in only a cpl of other great artists
You may not be an "expert" about Mr. Presley, but let's face facts, you know more than the average person. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up about him. I was under the impression Elvis was a wild man.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"There are conflicting accounts on how religious he was. Seemed to have an 'on and off again' relationship at times with Christianity and never took it seriously. He apparently liked to learn about other religions and spirituality.

That sounds very similar to Scott Stapp, the vocalist for Creed.

Romero

Quote from: "cc li tarte"You got me goin with that crap

So combative over just an opinion!

It's fine that you have the impression Elvis was a deep and genuine believer at all times, but there's not much evidence to support it. For instance, he married Priscilla at a Las Vegas hotel officiated by a justice, not at a church. Elvis at the time was fascinated by Eastern religions and the Occult, and days after the wedding Priscilla convinced him to burn all his religious books.

So he wasn't at all times deeply Christian or religious.

Romero

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Romero"There are conflicting accounts on how religious he was. Seemed to have an 'on and off again' relationship at times with Christianity and never took it seriously. He apparently liked to learn about other religions and spirituality.

That sounds very similar to Scott Stapp, the vocalist for Creed.

Yes, he's been quite troubled in recent years. Very sad.

Anonymous

Today's devotional is titled Power Of Simplicity.

Few people take time to study the US Internal Revenue Service income tax regulations—and for good reason. According to Forbes magazine, in 2013 tax codes surpassed the four million-word mark. In fact, the tax laws have become so complex that even the experts have a hard time processing all the regulations. It's burdensome in its complexity.

The religious leaders in ancient Israel did the same thing in their relationship with God. They made it too complex with laws. The growing burden of religious regulations had increased to the point where even an expert in Moses' law struggled to understand its core. When one such leader asked Jesus what mattered most in the Commandments, Jesus responded, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these" (Mark 12:30-31).

The law of Moses was burdensome, but faith in Christ is simple and His "burden is light" (Matt. 11:30). It's light because God was willing to forgive us and love us. Now He enables us to love Him and our neighbor.

I love Thee because Thou hast first loved me,

And purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree;

I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;

If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, 'tis now. —Featherstone

God's love in our heart gives us a heart for Him and others.

Insight

In Christ's answer to the scribe in Mark 12:29, He quotes the "Shema" from Deuteronomy 6:4 which states, "Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one." The title "shema" is from the Hebrew word for hear. One source says this statement of the oneness of God is recited twice each day by observant Jews and is the most important part of Judaism's prayer services.

Anonymous

Today's devotional is titled Our Foundation.

The Bavarian city of Nördlingen is unique. It sits in the middle of the Ries Crater, a large circular depression caused by the impact of a huge meteorite a long time ago. The immense pressure of the impact resulted in unusual crystallized rock and millions of microscopic diamonds. In the 13th century, these speckled stones were used to build St. George's Church. Visitors can see the beautiful crystal deposits in its foundation and walls. Some might say it has a heavenly foundation.

The Bible talks of a different kind of heavenly foundation. The Lord Jesus came to our world from heaven (John 3:13). When He went back into heaven after His death and resurrection, He left His followers who became the "living temple" of God, of which He is the foundation. The apostle Paul says, "For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ" (1 Cor. 3:11).

The church building in Bavaria is built on a foundation from pieces of rock from the physical heavens. But the spiritual church—all believers in Christ—is founded on the ultimate heavenly foundation, Christ Jesus (Isa. 28:16; 1 Cor. 10:3-4). Praise God that because of what Jesus has done our salvation is secure.

On Christ salvation rests secure;

The Rock of Ages will endure;

Nor can that faith be overthrown

Which rests upon the "Living Stone." —Anon.

Christ, the Rock, is our sure hope.

Insight

In today's passage, Paul uses both agricultural and architectural metaphors to warn of an overreliance and dependence on church leaders. Using an agricultural metaphor, he reminds us that while human leaders do the planting and watering, God alone can make the church grow (1 Cor. 3:1-9). And with the architectural metaphor of a building, Paul warns that no human leader is the founder of the church (vv.10-11). God alone is the founder and foundation.

Print
User actions