Replies: 7502
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 12:54:36 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

a car question

Started by formosan, June 23, 2023, 11:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formosan

Something very unusual happened to my Nissan Sentra yesterday......the odometer increased by approaximately thirty seven hundred kilometres without driving those kilometres..

I know within about five kilometres what the mileage was before I went to sleep on Wednesday and Thursday morning it increased without moving one metre..

Has anybody ever heard of such an unusual occurrence?

What would cause that to happen?
too old to be a fashionista

Zetsu

Digital stuff on my Mazda isn't reliable either, often get a lot of false alarm and when I bring it back to the dealer they can't find any records in the computer, and when my oil level raises by 2 qt and nearly over heated my engine, there were no indication either.  ac_umm  Japanese are good at most highly detailed and sophisticated stuff, except for mainly computer and software, aside for chips.  ac_unsure
Permanently off his rocker

formosan

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=504191 time=1687536361 user_id=61
Digital stuff on my Mazda isn't reliable either, often get a lot of false alarm and when I bring it back to the dealer they can't find records in the computer, and when my oil level raises by 2 qt and nearly over heated my engine, there were no indication either.  ac_umm  Japanese are good at most highly detailed and sophisticated stuff, except for computers.  ac_unsure

Hello Zetsu, my husband says it is an issue with the computer too..

I suppose I will find out this afternoon.....it's going into the dealership garage today.

Zetsu

Quote from: formosan post_id=504192 time=1687536883 user_id=3391
Quote from: Zetsu post_id=504191 time=1687536361 user_id=61
Digital stuff on my Mazda isn't reliable either, often get a lot of false alarm and when I bring it back to the dealer they can't find records in the computer, and when my oil level raises by 2 qt and nearly over heated my engine, there were no indication either.  ac_umm  Japanese are good at most highly detailed and sophisticated stuff, except for computers.  ac_unsure

I suppose I will find out this afternoon.....it's going into the dealership garage today.

Hope they can get it fixed on the first try.

Blazor

Sorry, that was me! Shen Li had an emergency KFC craving and I was the only around at the time that could deliver. I did put enough gas in it didnt I lol?
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

formosan

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=504197 time=1687537463 user_id=61
Quote from: formosan post_id=504192 time=1687536883 user_id=3391

Hope they can get it fixed on the first try.

Thank you Zetsu.....I hope they resove it too.

formosan

Quote from: Blazor post_id=504198 time=1687537771 user_id=2221
Sorry, that was me! Shen Li had an emergency KFC craving and I was the only around at the time that could deliver. I did put enough gas in it didnt I lol?

You did leave the tank full.

:laugh:

Zetsu

:MG_216:

Blazor

Quote from: formosan post_id=504203 time=1687540930 user_id=3391

You did leave the tank full.

:laugh:

So was Shen Li  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

DKG

Quote from: formosan post_id=504190 time=1687535721 user_id=3391
Something very unusual happened to my Nissan Sentra yesterday......the odometer increased by approaximately thirty seven hundred kilometres without driving those kilometres..

I know within about five kilometres what the mileage was before I went to sleep on Wednesday and Thursday morning it increased without moving one metre..

Is it possible you simply forgot the mileage?

Melson Gibson

I know a bit about vehicles, and I've never heard of this happening personally.  Are you sure you're remembering the numbers correctly?  Are you sure you haven't mistakenly switched to one of the trip odometers?

The dealer could probably pull the memory mileage reading and see if it matches the display.  If there's an issue with that you'll be replacing parts.  They do have limited ability to adjust the mileage reading, but that is strictly controlled and won't be done just because a customer claims the mileage went up without driving it.

Herman

That is weird kid. The computer will tell exactly what happened.

Adolf Oliver Bush

Quote from: Herman post_id=504239 time=1687560437 user_id=3396

That is weird kid. The computer will tell exactly what happened.

And possibly not. In this case... maybe?

I'll explain. Computers as we know deal in "ons" and "offs". Binary logic conducted conducted on a microscopic scale. More often than not it functions reliably, though there have been documented cases in history where it glitches either by virtue of "bit flipping" (as was the case in the https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021arXiv210505103N/abstract">2003 Belgian election) or by other methods entirely.

Depending on how the odometer related software is determining the aggregate distance in Fash's car, it might be the unexplained increase is a result of bit flipping. 37000 is not anywhere near a power of two of course, but we've no reason to expect the measurements the sensor is conducting is a perfect decimal of a meter either; it could be any length really whose account is being "bit-flipped" before its final conversion to the kilometers displayed on the odometer readout.

Just something that occurred to me and it's by no means a definitive reason for the error, just a possibility. Your Mileage May Vary.  :rimshot:
Her fucking fupa looked like a pair of ass cheeks... like someone naked ran into her head first and got stuck. She was like "come eat me out" and I was like "nah I think I'll go snort some anthrax and light myself on fire instead"

- Biggie Smiles