Replies: 8508
Total votes: : 3

Last post: July 06, 2024, 10:37:29 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Congratulations! I've Decided to Join

Started by Bocephus, July 19, 2023, 10:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazor

I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Frood

8 Tracks were like Betamax, Laser Discs (the record sized ones), and mini discs. All by the wayside...

Toshiba's DVD drive system also. BLUray killed that too..
Blahhhhhh...

Melson Gibson

The only analog advantage today is music (records, and even that's subjective, and tube amps, also subjective), and for radio comms, where analog still works well.

Frood

Quote from: "Melson Gibson" post_id=508699 time=1689841571 user_id=3397
The only analog advantage today is music (records, and even that's subjective, and tube amps, also subjective), and for radio comms, where analog still works well.

They are talking here about following much of Europe by phasing out FM/AM radios and particularly AM able receivers in cars because "added expense for shielding against electrical components elsewhere....wahhhhhh".

Shielding has nothing to do with it. They don't want longer range transmissions possible. It's a bait and switch scheme. They'll kill AM radio broadcasting for rural and outback folks, then bring in some crazy scheme to populate the entire continent with short distance capable DAB+ stations and the 5G plus, which from my understanding loses range with each G increase.

Cars aren't made to last or be repaired beyond piddly issues these days yet the costs have exponentially blown out for inferior vehicles....

Wonder why that is.... oh, wait.... could it be that they also don't want long range transmission of people on the move bringing ideas and commerce.... ?

I think it is exactly why they're doing everything outlined above, under the guise of anthropogenic caused climate change.... which is a farce of a theory if there ever was one...

Nahh... they want us destitute, stupid, repeatedly jabbed, culturally infused with immigrants who don't share our values or love of order....because they want the greater majority of us dead.

That's the bottom line. I feel it and have felt it in my gut since I was a youngin...

But, why?

And that is where people really become unglued.... discussing the possibilities why.
Blahhhhhh...

formosan

Hello Bocephus and welcome.

ac_smile
too old to be a fashionista

Shen Li

Quote from: Blazor post_id=508692 time=1689835230 user_id=2221
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=508687 time=1689834763 user_id=3389

My Mom does too. I like some of it myself.

Me too  ac_dance

Look..... a record spinning  :laugh:

">

It goes round and round. That is like sooo kewl and such.

Reggie_Essent

Quote from: Blazor post_id=508662 time=1689833405 user_id=2221
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=508661 time=1689833153 user_id=3389

No, I'm not. I've never seen an 8 track thingy.

:ohmy:

Well, they were kinda like a cassette tape, only they were bigger, and you got 4 songs on 1 side, and 4 on the other. Shit was all messed up, cause you couldnt fast forward, you simply hit skip, but when you did, the next song would kick off about the same amount of time you had in to the song you were on before you hit skip  :laugh:

I got one here, it was built into my place when this place was made lol. Still works, but I dont have any tapes.

I had a factory 8-track player in one of the many beater cars I had as a kid.  I can't even remember which one it was.  It might have been one of the chevies.

Oerdin

I guess he didn't stick around for long.

Reggie_Essent

Quote from: "Melson Gibson" post_id=508699 time=1689841571 user_id=3397

I dunno.  I didn't believe in the difference between solid state amps and tube amps at first until a buddy of mine who plays a lot of electric guitar proved it to me. I don't play a lot of electric, but I've played on both solid and tube, and there is a difference, even with the same guitar and all the knobs set up the same.

That's my problem with electric guitar.  I spend more time fiddling with all the knobs than playing the strings.

Blazor

Analog TV is still good for old video games too. They look way better than on a digital tv. In fact, couple weeks ago, I set up a retro gaming station lol. Its my old 32" box tv, hooked up to a Super Nintendo, a Nintendo 64, and a Playstation 2  ac_dance
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Melson Gibson

Quote from: Reggie_Essent post_id=509149 time=1689977661 user_id=3378
I dunno.  I didn't believe in the difference between solid state amps and tube amps at first until a buddy of mine who plays a lot of electric guitar proved it to me. I don't play a lot of electric, but I've played on both solid and tube, and there is a difference, even with the same guitar and all the knobs set up the same.

That's my problem with electric guitar.  I spend more time fiddling with all the knobs than playing the strings.

This is why I included amplification as a potential advantage for music, but only in limited scenarios, such as electric guitars.

When driven hard, they overload and produce a sound that cannot be matched by any digital means.  When driven easy, they also produce variables.

It's like the scratching on a 45 record.  Purists demand that experience.

CD quality has been proven to be at the limit of what the human ear can detect, with regards to differences.

Tubes and vinyl records introduce, naturally, differences in that sound.

Frood

I got a big old Pye stereo and speakers from the mid 1960's years ago... think wooden furniture with a turntable, AM radio, and an auxiliary jack.

Never played a record through it but mp3's sounded so fucking good.

Especially music of the day like Simon and Garfunkel.

Gave the speakers to my workplace and somebody blew them up eventually.. but they still functioned very well.
Blahhhhhh...