Started by Biggie Smiles, July 09, 2023, 12:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

Quote from: Guest post_id=506326 time=1688948222
Quote from: DKG post_id=506322 time=1688947899 user_id=3390

Do you actually care?  I doubt it.

That post would earn a sad face, with tears

What post? Who cares?

Towel in the guest area please. Lots of tears are flowing there.

Anonymous

Quote from: Frood post_id=506331 time=1688948398 user_id=1676
Quote from: Guest post_id=506326 time=1688948222

That post would earn a sad face, with tears

Where's the wanker one for yours?

Poo emoji for yoo

Frood

Quote from: Guest post_id=506335 time=1688948606
Quote from: Frood post_id=506331 time=1688948398 user_id=1676

Where's the wanker one for yours?

Poo emoji for yoo

Hi, Five Guys Mumbai...
Blahhhhhh...

DKG

Quote from: Frood post_id=506339 time=1688948788 user_id=1676
Quote from: Guest post_id=506335 time=1688948606

Poo emoji for yoo

Hi, Five Guys Mumbai...

I am going to ask Cronus no more guest posting anywhere except Rejected which will be your problem.

Frood

Quote from: DKG post_id=506384 time=1688957278 user_id=3390
Quote from: Frood post_id=506339 time=1688948788 user_id=1676

Hi, Five Guys Mumbai...

I am going to ask Cronus no more guest posting anywhere except Rejected which will be your problem.

:laugh:
Blahhhhhh...

DKG

Quote from: Frood post_id=506388 time=1688958152 user_id=1676
Quote from: DKG post_id=506384 time=1688957278 user_id=3390

:laugh:

Serously, there will be no more anon posting anywhere except in Rejected. It is too much work reading the tear ridden rants of assholes who are too chickenshit to register. I see now what Fash and Flea meant.

You want crazies. you will get them. As soon as Cronus is back, this will happen.

Melson Gibson

Very few people can tolerate running an anonymous forum.  Mod approval is a time consuming waste, so you just hope the posters will remain civil.  You'll deal with Ad Spammers that cannot be banned, posters that proxy up that cannot be banned, and there is no easy way to deal with that.  Blanket bans won't work, and Spamhaus is garbage that will block legit users since blocks of IP address are regularly recycled between different regions.

It is a very labour intensive way to run a forum.  CAPTCHA can at least keep the ad spammers somewhat at bay.

Frood

Quote from: "Melson Gibson" post_id=506419 time=1688974780 user_id=3397
Very few people can tolerate running an anonymous forum.  Mod approval is a time consuming waste, so you just hope the posters will remain civil.  You'll deal with Ad Spammers that cannot be banned, posters that proxy up that cannot be banned, and there is no easy way to deal with that.  Blanket bans won't work, and Spamhaus is garbage that will block legit users since blocks of IP address are regularly recycled between different regions.

It is a very labour intensive way to run a forum.  CAPTCHA can at least keep the ad spammers somewhat at bay.

Some of us are vets.

Don't your worry your pretty lil socks...  :wink:
Blahhhhhh...

Melson Gibson

Quote from: Frood post_id=506420 time=1688975141 user_id=1676
Some of us are vets.

I'm not worried.  I probably have more experience running and moderating anonymous boards than the entire collective of posters here do combined, so just sharing a bit of knowledge about something you've never actually done before.

Frood

Quote from: "Melson Gibson" post_id=506421 time=1688975575 user_id=3397
Quote from: Frood post_id=506420 time=1688975141 user_id=1676
Some of us are vets.

I'm not worried.  I probably have more experience running and moderating anonymous boards than the entire collective of posters here do combined, so just sharing a bit of knowledge about something you've never actually done before.

Ok, teenie Karen....
Blahhhhhh...

Melson Gibson

Quote from: Frood post_id=506423 time=1688975650 user_id=1676
Ok, teenie Karen....

Keep it up, and I'll have you frustrated on that board within five minutes, you'll lock it down, and wonder what you've just gotten yourself into.

You've NEVER moderated an anonymous board, let alone run one.  When I give you some advice, you call me Karen?

Look, the owner of this forum can't even set up Mod accounts and privileges, which I could do in under five minutes with the Log-In.  Are you even familiar with the phpBB panel?  Probably not.  They even seem confused with the installation of extensions, which you'll want to run, something like CAPTCHA.

But whatever, figure it out yourself on your own.  I'm not paid to give advice, so I don't know why I even bother.

Frood

Quote from: "Melson Gibson" post_id=506424 time=1688975926 user_id=3397
Quote from: Frood post_id=506423 time=1688975650 user_id=1676
Ok, teenie Karen....

Keep it up, and I'll have you frustrated on that board within five minutes, you'll lock it down, and wonder what you've just gotten yourself into.

You've NEVER moderated an anonymous board, let alone run one.  When I give you some advice, you call me Karen?

Look, the owner of this forum can't even set up Mod accounts and privileges, which I could do in under five minutes with the Log-In.  Are you even familiar with the phpBB panel?  Probably not.

But whatever, figure it out yourself on your own.  I'm not paid to give advice, so I don't know why I even bother.

Ok, Young Padawan...
Blahhhhhh...

Melson Gibson

Quote from: Frood post_id=506425 time=1688976080 user_id=1676
Ok, Young Padawan...

Correct.  You will be thrust into a position where you, even as a Mod with visible IP addresses attached to every post, won't be able to determine who is who.

And some Mods handle this better than others, identities.  Human nature seems to need to know who posted what.  You won't get that, and I know your personality type may demand that.

As I state, not everyone can manage that.  I could post from four different proxy addies from four different countries simultaneously, and be the same person fucking with you.  Can you handle that?

Most cannot.  When this place permitted anonymous posting, Fash went absolutely nuts trying to figure out who was who, and couldn't.  I was blamed for many things that I didn't post, because she thought I posted them.  I didn't.

People with control issues do poorly at managing a task like this.

Freud, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now, but time will tell how your personality will be able to handle total anonymous interaction.

Frood

Yeah, I daiseychained URl's 4-6 deep just to lose my trace between nations, back when you were just a little boy, kiddo. I'm no Software Engineer though....

...but I always go one better.
Blahhhhhh...

Adolf Oliver Bush

Taking posts on a case by case basis works well enough. If the board ends up being an unreadable mess of unapproved posts for the mods, then at least let it be mods who are capable of scrolling past them. If the content is meritous, it can stand for others to interact with it. Otherwise... half a dozen staff can decide whether they scroll past it or outright delete it... and the regular user is none the wiser.

It's really not that difficult, but it does require a disconnect between the c-panel and any fracas that the moderator/admin might be undergoing at the time. I've managed it, I had SSS going after me hammer and tongs at FT for months before he managed to blot his copybook with cw_.
Her fucking fupa looked like a pair of ass cheeks... like someone naked ran into her head first and got stuck. She was like "come eat me out" and I was like "nah I think I'll go snort some anthrax and light myself on fire instead"

- Biggie Smiles