Replies: 8134
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:25:57 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

Inflation

Started by DKG, August 16, 2023, 03:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

Statistics Canada reported Tuesday that Canada's annual inflation rate went up again in July to 3.3%.

While it's good news annual inflation is now at 3.3% compared to a 39-year high of 8.1% in June 2022, keep in mind that a decrease in the annual rate of inflation is not the same as a decrease in the overall cost of goods and services, as determined by the Consumer Price Index.

It means that the rate of inflation has slowed down while overall costs to consumers continue to rise.

Oliver the Second

Exactly - they say "Inflation is going down, it was only three percent this quarter compared to eight percent last quarter"... no, that means inflation is still going up because that's three percent more on top of the eight percent you already had. It may not be going up as fast but it's still going up up up.

Thiel

Quote from: Oliver the Second on August 16, 2023, 06:17:20 PMExactly - they say "Inflation is going down, it was only three percent this quarter compared to eight percent last quarter"... no, that means inflation is still going up because that's three percent more on top of the eight percent you already had. It may not be going up as fast but it's still going up up up.
If certain core items like rent are factored in, the rate of inflation is higher than the official government number.
gay, conservative and proud

Adolf Oliver Bush

Additionally I had heard that the method for calculating inflation has changed within the last four decades. If you were to calculate today's rate using the same methods in 1983, you would find today's rate is more like an 80 year high.

Allegedly.
Her fucking fupa looked like a pair of ass cheeks... like someone naked ran into her head first and got stuck. She was like "come eat me out" and I was like "nah I think I'll go snort some anthrax and light myself on fire instead"

- Biggie Smiles

DKG

Forty eight percent of Canadians are shopping at dollar stores because of high food costs. Also, Canadians are prioritizing price over climate when they shop. Trudeau's cabinet does not understand that. They do not care either.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Lokmar

DKG

Quote from: Lokmar on October 04, 2023, 10:28:00 AMKeep an eye on gold.
What determines the price of gold? For much of the past decade the answer was easy: the price of money. The lower rates fell, the higher gold climbed, and vice versa.

Gold is the quintessential "anti-dollar" — a place to turn for those who distrust fiat currency — so it seemed natural that prices would rise in a world of low real interest rates and cheap dollars. Or when rates went up, gold, which pays no yield, naturally became less attractive, sending prices tumbling.

JOE

Quote from: DKG on October 04, 2023, 10:13:30 AMForty eight percent of Canadians are shopping at dollar stores because of high food costs. Also, Canadians are prioritizing price over climate when they shop. Trudeau's cabinet does not understand that. They do not care either.

Dollarama must be good buy and a future growth stock, eh DKG?

DKG

Quote from: JOE on October 04, 2023, 11:14:15 AMDollarama must be good buy and a future growth stock, eh DKG?
Must be eh?

JOE

Quote from: DKG on October 04, 2023, 11:15:49 AMMust be eh?

Dollarama currently trading at $93 per share:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-e&q=dollarama+stock+price

And it's goin' up!

Wish I'd bought it back in the day when it was only $3 a share.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Oerdin

DKG

Quote from: Oerdin on October 04, 2023, 11:42:34 AMGold seems high to me.
Considering that we are in a period of high interest rates, yes.
Informative Informative x 1 View List

JOE

Quote from: Oerdin on October 04, 2023, 11:42:34 AMGold seems high to me.

It's falling quite fast lately.

Hovering just above $1800 USD

could fall further.

$1700 an ounce? $1600?

Platinum and Palladium are takin' a hit as well

Maybe Silver'll be at $18 or $19 an ounce soon.

https://www.kitco.com/market/

Oerdin

Quote from: DKG on October 04, 2023, 12:05:21 PMConsidering that we are in a period of high interest rates, yes.

In 2019 it was 1200 and now it is around 2000.

Oerdin

Quote from: JOE on October 04, 2023, 12:18:43 PMIt's falling quite fast lately.

Hovering just above $1800 USD

could fall further.

$1700 an ounce? $1600?

Platinum and Palladium are takin' a hit as well

Maybe Silver'll be at $18 or $19 an ounce soon.

https://www.kitco.com/market/

Communist China is going into economic depression and they were the big buyer of most metals including gold.
Informative Informative x 1 View List