Replies: 7536
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:25:01 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

High-Potency Cannabis Linked to Increased Psychosis Risk in Young Adults: Study

Started by DKG, May 27, 2024, 08:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

During breaks from his deployments in the Afghanistan war, Craig turned to smoking cannabis to alleviate stress, just as he had done as a teenager. However, one evening, things took a turn when he barricaded himself and his two young daughters in the master bedroom.

"He thought the house was surrounded by terrorists," Jennifer Thomas, the girls' mother, recounted while speaking to The Epoch Times. "That night was bad; he said they were under attack. The other times before that were mostly him seeing auras and aliens talking."

Military police took Craig to a psychiatric hospital, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 26.

he Cannabis–Psychosis Link
New UK research shows adults who consumed high-potency cannabis between ages 16 and 18 are twice as likely to experience psychotic episodes like hallucinations and delusions by their mid-20s compared to those using low-potency strains or abstaining. The longitudinal study, published in Addiction, highlights cannabis' risks to adolescent brain development.
"Young people using higher-potency forms of cannabis are twice as likely to have experiences associated with psychosis, such as hallucinations and delusions," lead author Lindsey Hines, a professor from the University of Bath Department of Psychology with a doctorate in epidemiological psychiatry, stated in a press release.

Over the past several decades, illicit marijuana products have become significantly more potent. The concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—the psychoactive compound in cannabis responsible for the "high" sensation and one linked to psychotic experiences in some people—increased from around 10 percent in 2009 to roughly 14 percent by 2019, according to a scientific review published in Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging.

"This is the problem," Yasmin Hurd, director of the Addiction Institute at Mount Sinai in New York, told The Epoch Times. "Many people don't realize that the cannabis that is consumed today—the majority or all of it—is high-potency."
https://www.theepochtimes.com/health/high-potency-cannabis-linked-to-increased-psychosis-risk-in-young-adults-study-5654523?utm_source=morningbriefnoe&src_src=morningbriefnoe&utm_campaign=mb-2024-05-27&src_cmp=mb-2024-05-27&utm_medium=email&est=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAd%2BMlfyxemZGdzLsBqmhYArg0yEwDBicAyhFdadd9FAFiTwYOcw%3D%3D

Food for thought. But, not edibles.

Brent

Quote from: DKG on May 27, 2024, 08:28:29 AMDuring breaks from his deployments in the Afghanistan war, Craig turned to smoking cannabis to alleviate stress, just as he had done as a teenager. However, one evening, things took a turn when he barricaded himself and his two young daughters in the master bedroom.

"He thought the house was surrounded by terrorists," Jennifer Thomas, the girls' mother, recounted while speaking to The Epoch Times. "That night was bad; he said they were under attack. The other times before that were mostly him seeing auras and aliens talking."

Military police took Craig to a psychiatric hospital, where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia at 26.

New UK research shows adults who consumed high-potency cannabis between ages 16 and 18 are twice as likely to experience psychotic episodes like hallucinations and delusions by their mid-20s compared to those using low-potency strains or abstaining. The longitudinal study, published in Addiction, highlights cannabis' risks to adolescent brain development.
"Young people using higher-potency forms of cannabis are twice as likely to have experiences associated with psychosis, such as hallucinations and delusions," lead author Lindsey Hines, a professor from the University of Bath Department of Psychology with a doctorate in epidemiological psychiatry, stated in a press release.

Over the past several decades, illicit marijuana products have become significantly more potent. The concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—the psychoactive compound in cannabis responsible for the "high" sensation and one linked to psychotic experiences in some people—increased from around 10 percent in 2009 to roughly 14 percent by 2019, according to a scientific review published in Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging.

"This is the problem," Yasmin Hurd, director of the Addiction Institute at Mount Sinai in New York, told The Epoch Times. "Many people don't realize that the cannabis that is consumed today—the majority or all of it—is high-potency."
https://www.theepochtimes.com/health/high-potency-cannabis-linked-to-increased-psychosis-risk-in-young-adults-study-5654523?utm_source=morningbriefnoe&src_src=morningbriefnoe&utm_campaign=mb-2024-05-27&src_cmp=mb-2024-05-27&utm_medium=email&est=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAd%2BMlfyxemZGdzLsBqmhYArg0yEwDBicAyhFdadd9FAFiTwYOcw%3D%3D

Weed is a lot more potent today compared to when I was eighteen.

Oliver the Second

Quote from: Brent on May 27, 2024, 10:10:39 AMWeed is a lot more potent today compared to when I was eighteen.

A hell of a lot cheaper too. I went to the dispensary and got a half ounce for 60 bucks.

Herman

Quote from: Oliver the Second on May 27, 2024, 02:35:25 PMA hell of a lot cheaper too. I went to the dispensary and got a half ounce for 60 bucks.
I don't buy it, so I don't know what it costs at cannabis shops.

I smoke my boy's weed when he comes over. I paid his way through university. I don't ask, I take.

JOE

Vancouver has a drug problem for all kinds.

Crack, Heroin, Weed, you name it.

Saw a guy so stoned on a bus once he passed out and the Driver and Bus company couldn't revive him. And the bus was full of weed stench.

It's become kinda disgusting in the city since weed was legalized.

It was actually better before when it was illegal because at least people didn't smoke it in public and stink up the public places and buildings.

The way Trudeau legalized it was idiotic. Now they have weed shops close to schools where 6 year old children attened. If they were gonna legalize it, this isn't the way it should have been implemented.
Shit Post! Shit Post! x 2 View List

DKG

Joe derails another thread because he is bored that nobody besides Lokmar responds to his outdated trolling. :facepalm:
Agree Agree x 1 Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 2 View List

JOE

Quote from: DKG on May 28, 2024, 10:04:30 AMJoe derails another thread because he is bored that nobody besides Lokmar responds to his outdated trolling. :facepalm:

No not irrelevant avatar_DKG KG

We have a very serious drug problem in Vancouver

And that includes high potency weed. I've noticed that kinda weed is smoked everywhere and we've seen more auto accidents, useless lazy burgers on welfare who pass out in public places

We have a serious suicide problem in my city too which no doubt is linked to drugs like the ones you mentioned
Shit Post! Shit Post! x 1 View List

Brent

Quote from: DKG on May 28, 2024, 10:04:30 AMJoe derails another thread because he is bored that nobody besides Lokmar responds to his outdated trolling. :facepalm:
As always.

Thiel

Quote from: JOE on May 28, 2024, 02:26:19 PMNo not irrelevant avatar_DKG KG

We have a very serious drug problem in Vancouver

And that includes high potency weed. I've noticed that kinda weed is smoked everywhere and we've seen more auto accidents, useless lazy burgers on welfare who pass out in public places

We have a serious suicide problem in my city too which no doubt is linked to drugs like the ones you mentioned
Whatever you say sweetie. :wub1:
Funny Funny x 1 Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List
gay, conservative and proud

Herman

He will do anything get our attention. But, instead he bores us to tears with prehistoric trolling.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Shen Li

I'be tried weed. It wasn't for me. I can't stand smoke of any kind.

formosan

Quote from: DKG on May 27, 2024, 08:28:29 AMDuring breaks from his deployments in the Afghanistan war, Craig turned to smoking cannabis to alleviate stress, just as he had done as a teenager. However, one evening, things took a turn when he barricaded himself and his two young daughters in the master bedroom.

I feel it was a mistake legalizing it....there are as many marijuana shops around as convenience stores..

Alcohol should be more restricted too in my opinion.
too old to be a fashionista

JOE

Quote from: formosan on May 29, 2024, 11:22:18 AMI feel it was a mistake legalizing it....there are as many marijuana shops around as convenience stores..

Alcohol should be more restricted too in my opinion.

I notice there seem to be a lot more intoxicated unstable drivers now. I think many are driving stoned. Since there is no adequate way to test them of course they usu get away with it.

I also notice on many Construction sites the smell or stench of weed. Allowing people to toke while at work is truly insane. If they're moving thousands of lbs/kilos of equipment where there are lot of people and other workers around.

So dangerous but it looks like it'll get even worse with the legalization of even more hard drugs.
Shit Post! Shit Post! x 1 View List