News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7552
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 11:43:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

I just paid $5000 US for a rare coin....

Started by JOE, November 03, 2023, 08:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

...God that was an Extremely foolish and impulsive thing to do.

But I bought it because I wanted it.

I hope I don't regret it.

...a Very Rare 1880 NEWFOUNDLAND $2 GOLD coin in Mint State:

...a foolish impulsive buy....indeed!

But if I calculated it right...should worth more...far more than one of Prowler's cars...within 10 years!

Alas, the power of appreciating assets!

Actually I'm suprised that it don't sell for much higher.

Mine was an accidental purchase I didn't expect 'to win'.

A coin so rare...that it comes up for sale about once a decade in Mint State.

Mintage just 2500, which means maybe 10% have survived to this day? Making that 250 pieces or so ileft And 5%-10% of that is Mint  State. So possibly just 25 pieces in decent condition in the Entire World?

That's practically Smithsonian/Royal Mint Quality which belongs in a Museum.

JOE

Oliver the Second

Interesting how it says "Two Hundred Cents One Hundred Pence" instead of just one or the other. Was it legal tender in both Canada and England at the time?

Zetsu

Quote from: Oliver the Second on November 03, 2023, 08:51:37 PMInteresting how it says "Two Hundred Cents One Hundred Pence" instead of just one or the other. Was it legal tender in both Canada and England at the time?

I didn't realized it until you've mentioned it, judging from the coins date, it was made just 2 years before Canada became a independent nation, assuming the answer is yes.
Permanently off his rocker

JOE

Quote from: Oliver the Second on November 03, 2023, 08:51:37 PMInteresting how it says "Two Hundred Cents One Hundred Pence" instead of just one or the other. Was it legal tender in both Canada and England at the time?

I believe it was only legal tender in Newfoundland which was a colony of Britain/The British Empire at the time.

'Pence' was part of the Old British currency system.

so it should have been 'pennies' not 'pence'

But the Americans like these coins, particularly if they're Irish cuz Newfoundland is mostly Irish descent. So maybe that's why they like these coins so much.

This guy on Pawn Stars publicized the coin, paid the guy $3100 US for it, but at a lower grade.

so, if he bought this item from me, he might pay $4100-4500 US for it? That's wholesale tho and he might try to re-sell it for $6000 US.

Once the Americans 'discover' anything and publicize them in their media, the prices shoot up in value.
Informative Informative x 1 View List

JOE

Quote from: Zetsu on November 03, 2023, 08:55:24 PMI didn't realized it until you've mentioned it, judging from the coins date, it was made just 2 years before Canada became a independent nation, assuming the answer is yes.

Canada became dominion in 1867, so it had semi-independent status but not full nationhood.

Australia was granted it later.

Newfoundland briefly had dominion status, but lost it during the Great Depression because they went bankrupt and could no longer support themselves. So they reverted back to being a British colony/protectorate in the 1930s til they joined Canada in 1949.
Informative Informative x 2 View List

Frood

Joe craves Thiels minerals pressed up and stamped into his back...
Funny Funny x 1 View List
Blahhhhhh...

Lokmar

I was just at The Gold and Silver Pawn in Vegas 2 weeks ago. Place is still an overpriced dive. I bought my granddaughter a silver eagle from her birth year. Its a perfect 70 grade and they put it in a black velvet bag with their logo embossed on it. She probably likes the bag, DGAF about the coin. I guess I can be caught up in the coin hype too. But I spent less than $70 for it.

caskur

Quote from: JOE on November 03, 2023, 08:01:42 PM...God that was an Extremely foolish and impulsive thing to do.

But if I calculated it right...should worth more...far more than one of Prowler's cars...within 10 years!

Mintage just 2500, which means maybe 10% have survived to this day? Making that 250 pieces or so ileft And 5%-10% of that is Mint  State. So possibly just 25 pieces in decent condition in the Entire World?

Sell it for more and stop wasting money...

We have heaps of coins...

We even have 5 round 50 cent pieces...

I want to cash all our coins in. I just inherited a shitload of coins from my dead mother-in-law.

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Here.... our 50 cents from 1966 with a content of 80% silver..

We think one is missing so now we have go find it.

This lot is worth $80 plus.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Quote from: caskur on November 04, 2023, 05:23:42 AMI want to cash all our coins in. I just inherited a shitload of coins from my dead mother-in-law.

I inherited thousands of dollars worth of Tiffany Glassware.

like this...

That piece alone is worth $10,000 US.

However, I'm planning to get rid of it asap and sell it because it's too fragile to keep around. Anything made out of glass makes me nervous. You can drop metal or glass on the floor, but not glass. So if it breaks, game over.

May as well sell it now while it's in good condition and there's a potential buyer for it.

I have some other Tiffany pieces so maybe I could get $10-20,000 for the lot?

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 03, 2023, 08:01:42 PM...God that was an Extremely foolish and impulsive thing to do.

I have at least 4 of those coins in my collection.

It is risky holding onto them as an investment.  The melt value is only about $200.

TheProwler

Quote from: caskur on November 04, 2023, 12:23:34 PMHere.... our 50 cents from 1966 with a content of 80% silver..

We think one is missing so now we have go find it.

This lot is worth $80 plus.

Your Queen looks a lot like ours.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 04, 2023, 02:37:04 PMI inherited thousands of dollars worth of Tiffany Glassware.

like this...

That piece alone is worth $10,000 US.

However, I'm planning to get rid of it asap and sell it because it's too fragile to keep around. Anything made out of glass makes me nervous. You can drop metal or glass on the floor, but not glass. So if it breaks, game over.

May as well sell it now while it's in good condition and there's a potential buyer for it.

I have some other Tiffany pieces so maybe I could get $10-20,000 for the lot?

How many times have you stuck your dick in that?
Funny Funny x 1 View List

DKG

Quote from: TheProwler on November 04, 2023, 02:44:11 PMHow many times have you stuck your dick in that?
We could make that like a Price is Right game. The poster who guesses the number closest without going over wins. The only problem is that the number keeps going up daily.