Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:46:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Odinson

Armistice/Remembrance Day

Started by JOE, November 11, 2023, 07:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Armistice Day or known as Rememberance Day in Canada

I think of 2 of my uncles who served in The British army during World War II.

They went off to War in 1939 and didn't come back home until 6 years later in 1945.

Thing is...they got so little back for their years of service

We get so much now without working for it.

And they did all the heavy lifting for us so we could have ours

Their sacrifice wasn't just going to war, but withholding the benefits and remuneration which should have gone to them.

One of my uncles fought for better benefits and recognition with the government for his service and other 2nd world war veterans.

and he die shortly after the war at just 48 years old.

He married a War Bride from Scotland and after the war he was working as a store clerk in the family store.

Yeesh, to think that's all a War Hero got back in those days for their sacrifice and years of service.

Irony is, his younger siblings all got to go to university get educations and good jobs but he didn't.

That's why I try to remember them on this day we call Remembrance Day.

I'm really grateful for their sacrifices and how much they gave up.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on November 11, 2023, 07:34:36 PMArmistice Day or known as Rememberance Day in Canada

I think of 2 of my uncles who served in The British army during World War II.

They went off to War in 1939 and didn't come back home until 6 years later in 1945.

Thing is...they got so little back for their years of service

We get so much now without working for it.

And they did all the heavy lifting for us so we could have ours

Their sacrifice wasn't just going to war, but withholding the benefits and remuneration which should have gone to them.

One of my uncles fought for better benefits and recognition with the government for his service and other 2nd world war veterans.

and he die shortly after the war at just 48 years old.

He married a War Bride from Scotland and after the war he was working as a store clerk in the family store.

Yeesh, to think that's all a War Hero got back in those days for their sacrifice and years of service.

Irony is, his younger siblings all got to go to university get educations and good jobs but he didn't.

That's why I try to remember them on this day we call Remembrance Day.

I'm really grateful for their sacrifices and how much they gave up.

Just imagine, josephine, next time the world goes to shit, you'll be stripped of all your wealth and all that hard work will be for nought. At least your uncle came back home, looking forward to a better life!

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on November 11, 2023, 09:40:41 PMJust imagine, josephine, next time the world goes to shit, you'll be stripped of all your wealth and all that hard work will be for nought. At least your uncle came back home, looking forward to a better life!

...thing is, my Uncle didn't get anything 'cept the security of working as a minimum wage slave in the family store. I suppose that woulda been the equivalent of working as a greeter in Wal-Mart.

I think that's what killed him too. All the stress of being poor and having to raise a family after the War. I still remember seeing him just one last time before he died. He waved at us when we drove away in a car. Then I never saw him again after News broke that he died one day of a heart attack. He was just 48 years old. A War Hero who had a brief moment of glory and that was about it.

Didn't you say your once wealthy grandfather lost all his money during the Great Depression and had his belongings stripped from the safety deposit box when the bank went bust? We never had that problem in Canada cuz the governments here wouldn't let them go under. So none of the major banks failed during the Great Depression. Ifya had yer money in a Canadian bank, it'd still be there even ifya went off to war for 6 years like they did in WWII. Min service they had in the British Army was 7 years committment and essentially no pay. I think that was pretty brutal. My uncles went from the farm in the Great Depression right inta the army when the War started. They had a hard life.

Just like my Grandfather did who made $10 a week shovelling coal into the trains that went across Canada during World War I. 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. One day off to go to Sunday School

We all live in the lap of luxury. Live the easy life....Lokmeer!

Including you owning all those guns. Back in WWII, a man had a rifle shoved in his hands and was told to go off to War and fight. And he only got one gun, not 10. Guns were not a luxury back then but were used by men in the service. If you brandished as many guns as you claim you have, you woulda got drafted and shipped off ta War.

The more I look at my stash of gold coins, I feel very fortunate cuz I can buy in an instant what took them a lifetime ever to own just one small gold coin. Actually I didn't think any of them every saw anything like gold in their lifetimes. Maybe on a wedding ring? Just as you mentioned, junk silver which they had a few coins in their pocket just for the essentials and the occasional Quarter for an afternoon movie or Matinee. Maybe a paper dollar or a fiver after they got their weekly wage. It was a shitty life.

As for the possibility of being stripped of my wealth, that's why I continuously buy Gold, Lokmeer. Cuz as you say, if everything goes ta shit and money becomes worthless, at least some of it won't. I'll have the Gold and at least it'll be worth something. That's bout the only or or one of the few viable alternatives to the Dollar that can't be controlled or tied to it.

I can easily see a day coming when sellers won't accept currency or much of less of it and demand junk silver, gold or food in payment. The way things are goin', our money keeps getting devalued all the time and guvs everywhere keep overspending, printing money.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on November 11, 2023, 11:39:18 PM...thing is, my Uncle didn't get anything 'cept the security of working as a minimum wage slave in the family store. I suppose that woulda been the equivalent of working as a greeter in Wal-Mart.

People that die of heart trouble at 48 usually have either bad genetics or an illness that damaged the heart.

My great grandparents lost all their savings. Someone should have assassinated FDR.

Owning guns had nothing to do with conscription into service. It may have influenced where you were put.

You will have your stash, but no way to keep it. The people who've been hiding their weapons from the shitty cucknadian gubmint will rule over you with impunity.

Buy junk silver.

Herman

Joe was still a young man when world war 2 started.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 2 View List

Lokmar

Funny story about my father in law:

He went in the service during Korea and was stationed in Germany for his 2 years of mandatory service. During rifle training, he shot at everything else he could see EXCEPT the targets. One day, he was even shooting at things off in the distance, including some pigs! LOL! He sure as fuck didnt want to be plucked out and put on a sniper team or some other dumb shit. He wanted to get home, get married, and start a family!

He was a helluva shot tho. My wife saw him shoot the head off a snake with a pistol when she was little and he routinely hunted in the woods, making head shots on pretty much everything so as not to lose any meat.

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on November 12, 2023, 01:47:51 PMMy great grandparents lost all their savings. Someone should have assassinated FDR.

...that's why they shoulda stashed some Gold, Bud!

Just like the Romans did, eh?

If they had ya'd be better off today...Lokmeer!

I buy Gold 'stead a bullets, eh?

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 11, 2023, 11:39:18 PMThe more I look at my stash of gold coins, I feel very fortunate cuz I can buy in an instant what took them a lifetime ever to own just one small gold coin.

That is pathetic.

When I look at my guitars, I feel fortunate because I can play them and it brings me pleasure.

When I look at my wife, I feel fortunate because I have found a life partner and we share so much together.

When I look at my cars, I feel fortunate because I can drive them and have a lot of fun with them.

When I look at my house, I feel fortunate because I have a nice place to live.

When I look at my dog, I feel fortunate because I have a great companion who is really awesome.

When I look at my friends, I feel fortunate because I have special people in my life who care for me.

When I look at my investment reports, I feel fortunate not for just owning the assets, but for the knowledge that those assets can help me acquire things that will bring me pleasure in the future.

You are sad little pathetic old man, Senile Joe.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 12, 2023, 03:32:39 PMI buy Gold 'stead a bullets, eh?

And unless you get it made into a giant butt plug, what pleasure does the gold bring you, Joe?

Brent

Quote from: TheProwler on November 12, 2023, 06:08:15 PMAnd unless you get it made into a giant butt plug, what pleasure does the gold bring you, Joe?

Exactly, he is a senior citizen virgin who has never owned property.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on November 12, 2023, 03:32:39 PM...that's why they shoulda stashed some Gold, Bud!

Just like the Romans did, eh?

If they had ya'd be better off today...Lokmeer!

I buy Gold 'stead a bullets, eh?

Can you buy bullets josephine? NOPE!

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on November 12, 2023, 06:44:38 PMCan you buy bullets josephine? NOPE!

I'd only buy 'em if they were made outta Gold...Lokmeer

...ya gotta get a return on yer investment, eh?

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on November 12, 2023, 06:50:02 PMI'd only buy 'em if they were made outta Gold...Lokmeer

...ya gotta get a return on yer investment, eh?

Better to make them from brass and teflon coat them.

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on November 12, 2023, 08:03:24 PMBetter to make them from brass and teflon coat them.

Ya see, unlike you I'd collect the bullets if they were made outta Gold....Lokmeer!

I'd be more inclined ta collect 'em than fire 'em, eh?

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on November 12, 2023, 09:20:23 PMYa see, unlike you I'd collect the bullets if they were made outta Gold....Lokmeer!

I'd be more inclined ta collect 'em than fire 'em, eh?

WTF good is a bullet made of gold, josephine? May as well have it pressed into an ingot with a purity stamp.