Replies: 8382
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:15:16 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

I saw a coin for sale today worth more than TheProwler's Camaro

Started by JOE, November 07, 2023, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on November 25, 2023, 04:05:23 PMI can just see Senile Joe in a dark room playing with his gold coins.

He is like a retarded chimpanzee.

Simpleton.

Here they are Prowler...my 2 most valuable coins:

worth $10,000 USD or $13,000 Canadian or $15,000 Austrlian $

the one on the bottom was once part of the largest and complete collection ever known by an American Industrialist, Louis Eliasberg Prowler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_E._Eliasberg

"Louis Edward Eliasberg Sr. (February 12, 1896 – February 20, 1976) was an American financier and numismatist. A native of Baltimore, Maryland, he is best known in the numismatic community for putting together the only complete collection of United States coins ever assembled, with attention to coins in the best possible condition.[1] Although the set was not truly "complete" by modern standards (for instance, it did not differentiate between proofs and circulation strikes as most modern collectors and set registries do, and die variations were not emphasized), it is still the most comprehensive U.S. numismatic collection to date. "

So he musta thought highly of that coin to actually buy it and house it in his special collection.

Today, his collection is known as perhaps the greatest coin collection ever assembled of which the $2 Newfoundland Gold coin was part, Prowler.

so as I said before, the ability to collect gold coins was once the domain of the very wealthy. Ordinary folk did not have the means to afford them. So I'm grateful to be able to afford and hold the very coin that the top collector once held Prowler.

Fascinating, truly fascinating. It's actually part of history.

No wonder the guy on the Pawn Stars mentioned that coin on his show, eh?

But it's fame was widespread even before it appeared on that TV show.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on November 28, 2023, 02:42:33 AM

You have age spots on your hands, Senile Joe.

I feel a little bad for picking on such an old man.

caskur

Quote from: JOE on November 28, 2023, 02:42:33 AMHere they are Prowler...my 2 most valuable coins:

worth $10,000 USD or $13,000 Canadian or $15,000 Austrlian $

the one on the bottom was once part of the largest and complete collection ever known by an American Industrialist, Louis Eliasberg Prowler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_E._Eliasberg

"Louis Edward Eliasberg Sr. (February 12, 1896 – February 20, 1976) was an American financier and numismatist. A native of Baltimore, Maryland, he is best known in the numismatic community for putting together the only complete collection of United States coins ever assembled, with attention to coins in the best possible condition.[1] Although the set was not truly "complete" by modern standards (for instance, it did not differentiate between proofs and circulation strikes as most modern collectors and set registries do, and die variations were not emphasized), it is still the most comprehensive U.S. numismatic collection to date. "

So he musta thought highly of that coin to actually buy it and house it in his special collection.

Today, his collection is known as perhaps the greatest coin collection ever assembled of which the $2 Newfoundland Gold coin was part, Prowler.

so as I said before, the ability to collect gold coins was once the domain of the very wealthy. Ordinary folk did not have the means to afford them. So I'm grateful to be able to afford and hold the very coin that the top collector once held Prowler.

Fascinating, truly fascinating. It's actually part of history.

No wonder the guy on the Pawn Stars mentioned that coin on his show, eh?

But it's fame was widespread even before it appeared on that TV show.

fantastic ... I saw the Queens stamp collection and I wonder if the Queen had a coin collecction.

I see you are serious about your coins. Keep them safe.

We have 2, 500 shilling coins...

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Lokmar

I've been to the Pawn Stars shop at least a half dozen times or more and have never seen anyone from the TV show there. I think those dudes prolly just show up during taping and leave. I bet they couldnt do business with the general public if they were there.

JOE

Quote from: caskur on November 28, 2023, 07:35:01 AMI see you are serious about your coins. Keep them safe.

I don't consider myself a serious collector, caskur.

I'm more a dabbler and do it for fun. A 'real collector' is someone who has thousands of valuable coins and keeps collecting more. I've got about 25 or so gold coins and Might cap it at 100. Possibly 200.

Truth be known, I'm not terribly knowledgable about coins like a professional collector (numismatist) is. Therefore, I'd rather stick mostly to a narrow speciality of the coin collecting spectrum that I vaguely understand - Canadian gold coins and some of the antique ones.

Gold coins are a good bet. Because even if the collector value of the coin doesn't rise, the gold content likely will one day.

Actually many of the coins I like aren't terribly valuable because I often like something by its appearance & artistry rather than its book value.

But those coins aren't often worth much. Strangely, it's the 'ugly' ones with the faces of ugly men on them that usually are. I gather that most of these famous men throughout history were quite  homely.

I just collect for fun, and if one day I get tired of them, I'll just sell them, get some money back.

I might keep the 1880 Newfoundland $2 coin tho.  I guess it is  popular because it's got the image of Queen Victoria when she was young on pretty on the back.

JOE

Quote from: caskur on November 28, 2023, 07:35:01 AMWe have 2, 500 shilling coins...

Nice coins!

caskur

Quote from: JOE on November 28, 2023, 02:05:01 PMNice coins!

Gifts from one of Kurts Austrian great aunty Mitzi who is now dead.

Kurt got one and his mum got one. Now his mum is dead, we have hers. The net said they are worth  $150 atm.

My brother worked for the Rare Coin company,... not now though, he works for our Milltary Museum as a curator.

I don't know what to do with them. We have 1 great grand nephew with our Austrian surname. I think we should leave it to him. He is only 6 atm.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

I like your New Foundland coin with the young Queen Victoria.
- Andy Warhol