Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 10:10:33 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Why I think the Economy is slowing

Started by JOE, December 03, 2023, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

...it shows in the collectibles and antiques market

I've noticed prices that items go  for are lower....sometimes much lower than last year.

I recently bought something for 1/3 of the price sold for much more 6 months ago. Item appearred in Heritage auctions sold for $350 US. I bought it for less than $150. I know its the same item because the serial number matched. So maybe the owner couldn't afford to hang onto it and unloaded along with a large lot of other items.

I found this with other collectibles as well. The prices are dropping or they don't sell. Collectibles dealers are having a more difficult time. Some beg me to buy from them and offer further discounts from the previous ones. Sale and auction prices are 1/4 to 1/3 lower.

So 2024 could be a buyers market for these sort of items. People generally unload things they don't need during tough times or to raise cash to stay afloat

Biggie Smiles

I got a pretty good deal on Black Friday for a 75" smart TV
Informative Informative x 1 View List

Lokmar

We've all known the economy was going to shit the bed Q3/Q4 since a year ago. The democRATs have completely fucked civilization. Trump should declare himself emperor and start executing these leftists right away.

I havent been watching antique prices but my wife has been buying things on my ebay account as of late and has found some good deals. Things she didnt bid on because they weren't exactly what she wanted or were too high priced are getting re-listed at lower prices tho. She's also getting offers for her to buy things at a lower price. The feds fucked ebay once they required them to tax everything. I almost never use my account anymore unless I cant find something anywhere else.

Thankfully, we upgraded all the appliances in the last few years so we havent had need of anything. And when I say all, I mean water heater, furnace, A/C, washer, drier, dish washer, fridge, microwave, and TV's. Thankfully we did them BEFORE all this inflation doubled prices.

We really didnt do any black friday shopping. There's just not anything we have to buy. My wife has all the antique decorations she could ever want or need plus when my parents moved to Florida, they loaded us down with things they didnt want anymore.

If we didnt have everything we need, it would be real tough to live right now. Hell, its been more than a year since I've even bought a gun! Any spare money I have goes into paying for tires and racing fees for the ZL1.
Informative Informative x 1 View List

JOE

Well Lokmeer, the sellers on eBay usually/often represent the Little Guy/Gal on Main Street America who're trying to get by. I notice they're usu from the small towns/cities of America and they use the local post office to send things out.

That's who keeps eBay going in the States and if they didn't have that backbone of sellers there wouldn't be much of an inventory.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on December 04, 2023, 12:15:47 AMWell Lokmeer, the sellers on eBay usually/often represent the Little Guy/Gal on Main Street America who're trying to get by. I notice they're usu from the small towns/cities of America and they use the local post office to send things out.

That's who keeps eBay going in the States and if they didn't have that backbone of sellers there wouldn't be much of an inventory.

Yea? Well, I used to sell shit on ebay but now I dont. The government has absolutely no business double taxing things.

DKG

Joe thinks the economy is slowing after multiple interest rate hikes. Wow, would a bold prediction. :facepalm:
Agree Agree x 1 Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

Biggie Smiles

Quote from: DKG on December 04, 2023, 10:11:53 AMJoe thinks the economy is slowing after multiple interest rate hikes. Wow, would a bold prediction. :facepalm:

I know right? Next he'll be doing something really mav and off the wall like predicting the sun has a high probability of rising tomorrow morning
Agree Agree x 1 View List

DKG

Quote from: Biggie Smiles on December 04, 2023, 10:19:35 AMI know right? Next he'll be doing something really mav and off the wall like predicting the sun has a high probability of rising tomorrow morning
He thinks he is a prophet.

Thiel

Quote from: Biggie Smiles on December 04, 2023, 10:19:35 AMI know right? Next he'll be doing something really mav and off the wall like predicting the sun has a high probability of rising tomorrow morning
Jo Jo isn't knowledgeable about economic matters, but he is still adorable.
gay, conservative and proud

JOE

Quote from: DKG on December 04, 2023, 10:11:53 AMJoe thinks the economy is slowing after multiple interest rate hikes. Wow, would a bold prediction. :facepalm:

Well DKG i was listening to a Senior Economist from bmo today & he just waffled n towed the party line. That thered be a soft landing but I think the only reason it doesn't sink is all the prime pumping the US gov is doing to keep it afloat. Especially in an election year in 2024. The msm just paints this rosy picture of the economy but they never seem to tell the true picture. I mean that the Liberals are down 24 points says something. A lot of Canadians must be suffering but the press will never admit it. So little things like collectibles might be just one indicator that money is tight for many people these days. Of course there are others much more significant like housing etc. i hear the housing market is down in Ontario these days

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on December 05, 2023, 01:15:34 AMWell DKG i was listening to a Senior Economist from bmo today & he just waffled n towed the party line. That thered be a soft landing but I think the only reason it doesn't sink is all the prime pumping the US gov is doing to keep it afloat. Especially in an election year in 2024. The msm just paints this rosy picture of the economy but they never seem to tell the true picture. I mean that the Liberals are down 24 points says something. A lot of Canadians must be suffering but the press will never admit it. So little things like collectibles might be just one indicator that money is tight for many people these days. Of course there are others much more significant like housing etc. i hear the housing market is down in Ontario these days

Look dumbass, the economy is ALREADY in the shitter. The only thing propping anything up these days is the lack of goods which keep people in need. Department stores are closing EVERYWHERE, not just places where they're robbed blind. The Macy's in Springfield IL is all but empty. The mall in Bloomingtom IL is closed. You have to go to St Louis or Chicago to find a decent place to shop. Car lots still dont have a decent supply of cars but its a good thing they dont because people cant afford them anyway. People are buying just what they need. I dont know anyone awash in cash.

The RV market leads a recession and guess what, josephine, the RV market is trash. All kinds of RV dealerships have gone under and have been bought up by mega corps.

BTW, if you couldnt glean from the above, the "soft landing" is all artificially created by lack of supply.

Oerdin

All of your coins are going to lose value, Joe.

DKG

Quote from: Lokmar on December 05, 2023, 02:40:07 AMLook dumbass, the economy is ALREADY in the shitter. The only thing propping anything up these days is the lack of goods which keep people in need. Department stores are closing EVERYWHERE, not just places where they're robbed blind. The Macy's in Springfield IL is all but empty. The mall in Bloomingtom IL is closed. You have to go to St Louis or Chicago to find a decent place to shop. Car lots still dont have a decent supply of cars but its a good thing they dont because people cant afford them anyway. People are buying just what they need. I dont know anyone awash in cash.

The RV market leads a recession and guess what, josephine, the RV market is trash. All kinds of RV dealerships have gone under and have been bought up by mega corps.

BTW, if you couldnt glean from the above, the "soft landing" is all artificially created by lack of supply.
Canada already meets the technical definition of being in recession.

Lokmar

LOL! Trust me, josephine would be the guy that would look at a mile long bread line during a famine and declare: "Economy soaring as evidenced by high demand for food!".

DKG

Quote from: Lokmar on December 05, 2023, 09:56:12 AMLOL! Trust me, josephine would be the guy that would look at a mile long bread line during a famine and declare: "Economy soaring as evidenced by high demand for food!".
He wants attention.
Winner Winner x 1 View List