News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7378
Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 19, 2024, 11:52:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

I bought some vintage Hockey Cards today...

Started by JOE, December 20, 2023, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

....about $900 US for 22 old cards.

don't know if it's a good buy or not.

They looked good tho.

They've been graded by SGC, a premiere 3rd party grading service which has the highest standards in the industry. That also means they are considered authentic, not copies or counterfeits. These days, they scan, x-ray and document everything now, so it's becoming increasingly difficult to cheat the graders now.

Anyways, I'm very impressed with the lot.

High end, high grades.

$900 seems like a lot and it is I suppose, but on the other hand 1 collector baseball card can cost as much as an entire vintage hockey card collection.

I've always like hockey cards a lot more than baseball cards anyways.

Baseball cards are way too expensive now & have essentilaly become a Rich Man's game.

Zetsu

I always ask my 2nd brother the same question when I was a kid, and he always reply back the same answer saying "If you think worth it, then that's how much it is worth to you"

But holy smokes Joe, $900 for a set of antique hockey cards is still pretty steep even if I have a crave for collections.
Permanently off his rocker

JOE

Quote from: Zetsu on December 20, 2023, 10:48:59 PMI always ask my 2nd brother the same question when I was a kid, and he always reply back the same answer saying "If you think worth it, then that's how much it is worth to you"

But holy smokes Joe, $900 for a set of antique hockey cards is still pretty steep even if I have a crave for collections.

Do ya like Hockey Cards, Zetsu?

If so, tharz an auction in January for an original set of Parkhurst 1951-52 series. That's 105 cards up fer grabs.

They say the estimate is $30,000 and up for the lot.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey-cards/sets/1951-parkhurst-hockey-high-grade-complete-set-105-/p/50067-264005.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

$30,000/105 = roughly $300 per card on average.

Mind you, that set could go for much higher.

Like $40,000 or $50,000, eh?

Stil, that's a heckuva lot cheaper than a Honus Wagner vintage baseball card which goes for $1 million or so these days. And that's just fer one card not a set.

So hockey cards seem like bargain by comparison.

In the scheme of things $30,000 for the most expensive hockey card aint much.

But i've heard a certain Wayne Gretzky rookie card has gone for $1 million as well
Informative Informative x 1 View List

Lokmar

josephine's mom should have spent all her money on some nigger dik!

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on December 20, 2023, 11:23:04 PMjosephine's mom should have spent all her money on some nigger dik!

But I'm gonna 'out-Gold' you pretty soon....Lokmeer!

IN the near future, my gold collection'll be worth far more than yer bullet stash.

You shoulda been stacking gold and silver all these years instead a shootin' all that wealth out the barrel of a gun, Bud.

all those bullet shells on the ground coulda been gold today ifya used yer noggin'....Lokmeer!

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on December 20, 2023, 11:26:42 PMBut I'm gonna 'out-Gold' you pretty soon....Lokmeer!

IN the near future, my gold collection'll be worth far more than yer bullet stash.

You shoulda been stacking gold and silver all these years instead a shootin' all that wealth out the barrel of a gun, Bud.

all those bullet shells on the ground coulda been gold today ifya used yer noggin'....Lokmeer!

Doubtful, josephine. I own tens of thousands worth of guns. No matter how much gold you have anyway, you cant even legally own the guns I have in that commie shithole you live in. When the SHTF comes, you best cower in a fukin hole with your gold. You STILL wont be able to keep it safe tho.

TheProwler

Joe's poor old mother left him with an inheritance, hoping he could use it to find some pleasure in his miserable life.

The dumb fucker uses it to buy coins and cards that he gets no real pleasure from.

It is a sad existence.

Quote from: Lokmar on December 20, 2023, 11:23:04 PMjosephine's mom should have spent all her money on some nigger dik!

If she could look up from hell and see what Senile Joe is doing with her money, she would do it all over again very differently if she only had the chance.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on December 21, 2023, 12:29:34 AMJoe's poor old mother left him with an inheritance, hoping he could use it to find some pleasure in his miserable life.

The dumb fucker uses it to buy coins and cards that he gets no real pleasure from.

It is a sad existence.

Actually Prowler, those hockey cards look simply amaaaazing!
Much better than the website photos irl, eh?

And except as a young kid, I never really collected hockey cards before, eh?

They look like works of art, those classic old ones from the 1950s. Even better 'n on the website. High Quality. Those Opeechee ones I used to buy in the gum wrappers didn't come nearly as close in quality. Even you'd be amazed by the 'golden oldies'. These cards were before my time & more like were around when my Father was a young man.I take some photos ifya like...Prowler!

Quote from: TheProwler on December 21, 2023, 12:29:34 AMIf she could look up from hell and see what Senile Joe is doing with her money, she would do it all over again very differently if she only had the chance.

...except unlike you, I generally don't buy anything unless it kin be re-sold, eh Prowler? Like yer cars, you musta blew $200,000 on 'em. Geez I woulda bought $200,000 worth of gold which would have tripled in value since the time you bought yer camaro.

You blew it man!

Who's gonna pay ya $200,000 in ten years?!

You'll be lucky ifya git $20,000 outta both of 'em.

Now look at 'em - useless hunks of metal n plastic that'll keep depreciating in value till theyre relatively worthless one day. Why...my coin collection will be worth vastly worth more than yer two cars one day...Prowler. Heck one coin I own was once held and owned by one of the wealthiest men in America. The elusive and ultra rare Elliasberg 1880 Newfoundland $2 gold coin, Prowler

it was once part of the famous Eliasberg coin collection:

One day, it'll be worth more than yer two cars, Prowler!
I'll always remember that purchase as one of the biggiest 'steals' in my life. Like a runner on a baseball diamond stealin base, eh Prowler?

Id rather own that than an obsolete car, that's fer sure.

One day yer cars'll end up in a junkyard in Hamilton.
Meanwhile that coin'll likely end up in the Smithsonian or the National Museum in Ottawa.

As Don Cherry is fond of saying..."Whatta beauty!"

Zetsu

Quote from: JOE on December 20, 2023, 11:04:35 PMDo ya like Hockey Cards, Zetsu?

If so, tharz an auction in January for an original set of Parkhurst 1951-52 series. That's 105 cards up fer grabs.

They say the estimate is $30,000 and up for the lot.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/hockey-cards/sets/1951-parkhurst-hockey-high-grade-complete-set-105-/p/50067-264005.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

$30,000/105 = roughly $300 per card on average.

Mind you, that set could go for much higher.

Like $40,000 or $50,000, eh?

Stil, that's a heckuva lot cheaper than a Honus Wagner vintage baseball card which goes for $1 million or so these days. And that's just fer one card not a set.

So hockey cards seem like bargain by comparison.

In the scheme of things $30,000 for the most expensive hockey card aint much.

But i've heard a certain Wayne Gretzky rookie card has gone for $1 million as well

I remember buying some hockey and basketball cards when I was a kid, though it was more of a trend among the other kids and just didn't wanted to feel left out.  Later then started collecting some $2 bills, and a few coin and stamps but that's pretty much it. 

You can say there's not much hobbies I'm fond of, aside from keeping quails, pigeon and saltwater fishes. 

Oliver the Second

I'm quite fond of collecting dust. I do it a lot!
Funny Funny x 1 View List

TheProwler

Quote from: Zetsu on December 21, 2023, 12:54:42 AMI remember buying some hockey and basketball cards when I was a kid, though it was more of a trend among the other kids and just didn't wanted to feel left out.  Later then started collecting some $2 bills, and a few coin and stamps but that's pretty much it. 

You can say there's not much hobbies I'm fond of, aside from keeping quails, pigeon and saltwater fishes. 

I have a pretty large sports card collection.

I have a nice coin collection.

I have a decent comic book collection.

I have a stamp collection.

My wife has collections of different types of figurines.

They are all nice hobbies.

But they are all low-key type of hobbies.

Not a high enough level of excitement to satisfy most active people.

Which is why I also play music, play hockey, play basketball, hike with my dog, play baseball, and participate in a long list of other fun activities.

Poor Boring Joe.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on December 21, 2023, 01:45:57 PMI have a pretty large sports card collection.

so...got any pics, Prowler?!?

It'd be nice if ya just posted some pics or described whatcha got.

Like....this isn't a competition.

Should be thought of as a Friendly 'show 'n tell', eh?
I jes' think of it as a past time.

I'm getting interested in hockey cards cuz they are still somewhat affordable for the average collector, the cards generally aren't $10,000, $100,000 or $1,000,000 each ...yet. Plus it's conceivable that I could still collect some of the  early sets like Parkhurst or O'Pee Chee with all the cards. Maybe collected gradually over time for $30,000-40,000? Sure as hell better than baseball cards which might run a collector $5,000,000 or $10,000.000. Even just one vintage baseball card could cost more than 3 years of complete early vintage antique hockey card sets. Hockey cards are more attractive and exciting to collect than baseball cards anyways. And it seems they are more accessible and not too many collecters...yet. (Unlike baseball)

Especially since you live in the hockey heartland of Canada, ya'd have much greater access to all them vintage beauties I'm after.

Isn't that where all them vintage hockey cards were made?

anyways, post some pics of yer collections, Prowler.

....I dare ya!

Would be interesting to see. If you have this vast hockey card collection, I just wanna see what collectors more seasoned than me have so I know what to aspire to.

I'm new to this collecting specialty ya know

Zetsu

Quote from: TheProwler on December 21, 2023, 01:45:57 PMI have a pretty large sports card collection.

But they are all low-key type of hobbies.

Not a high enough level of excitement to satisfy most active people.

Which is why I also play music, play hockey, play basketball, hike with my dog, play baseball, and participate in a long list of other fun activities.

Poor Boring Joe.

I concur too, collection can be enjoyable sometime but still lacks the thrill, I did forgot to mention another thing I'm addicted too, not sure does it count as a hobby but truth to be told it's simply driving my car and running a business.  :cool:

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on December 21, 2023, 05:54:49 PMso...got any pics, Prowler?!?

It'd be nice if ya just posted some pics or described whatcha got.

I am not going to post pictures of my collectibles, Retard Joe.

Quote from: Zetsu on December 21, 2023, 06:56:38 PMsimply driving my car

Yeah, it can be such a great time driving a car.  I've got over 100K km on my Z28 and probably about 80% of that was just pleasure driving.

Quote from: Zetsu on December 21, 2023, 06:56:38 PMrunning a business

There was a time when I too enjoyed running my own business.  And before that it was being a key player in building a different business.

I think it is very fortunate when a person can really enjoy what they do for a living.  Conversely, it really sucks for people who are miserable at their jobs.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

JOE

Quote from: Zetsu on December 21, 2023, 06:56:38 PMI concur too, collection can be enjoyable sometime but still lacks the thrill, I did forgot to mention another thing I'm addicted too, not sure does it count as a hobby but truth to be told it's simply driving my car and running a business.  :cool:

I'm actually new to this style of sports collecting, Zetsu.

So it's really interesting ta me.

These kinda 1950s hockey cards are true antique...rare. There might only be a handful of these left. A lotta 'em got destroyed or thrown out. Just like that $1 million Honus Wagner card...cept they don't cost $1 million dollars.

....so that's a relief.

I never had access to these kinda hockey cards when I was a Kid, Zetsu. Wasn't born yet. They were from my Father's time. Mostly somewhat rare and very hard to find, especially in nice condition, eh. The kind I bought were heavily mass produced and not of high quality or very desireable. By then, they had become pretty mainstream items and the companies that made them didn't really try hard after they were selling millions and millions of them.

Anything I bought as a Kid is very common and not rare at all. So they can't really be considered 'antique' or that collectible.
Informative Informative x 1 View List