News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7374
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:29:59 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by formosan

Which retailers are actually doing well?

Started by Oerdin, January 02, 2024, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oerdin

Ok, so near my house there is an old best buy location which shut down a little less than two years ago.  The news reports say the space is 36,000 spuare feet and that it is being subdivided so that a new Trader Joe's location can take half of it.  I am wondering what sort of retailer might be interested in the other half?  Which would be about 18,000 sq ft.

The best buy closed because there is another one four miles away in a bigger and busier mall.  Around this location there is already a mall with a ton of stores and restaurants (they had a small format Macy's open just in September) including all the big box stores you can think of.  Obviously, Trader Joe's will put it in their lease that the owners can't put in another grocery store next to them so that only leaves non-food retail as it isn't set up for a restaurant. 

My first thought was maybe Harbor freight might be interest though they do have a location about 5-6 miles away.  It is to small for a Kohl's or a Dillard's and we already have all the bother big box stores so...  What can they possibly put in a 18,000 ft2 store front?

Oerdin

Maybe a Dillard's (found in Southern California but not near here) or a Hobby Lobby (closest one is maybe right miles away).  I keep hearing retail is doing so bad and looking up the fastest growing retail chains it is mostly super markets as well as Harbor Freight (already one a few miles away) so it is hard to think of what it could be.  Apple is expanding their retail stores but they only do major top tier malls.

Oerdin

There is already a CVS on that location so nothing like that will go in.  The rest is all restaurants, fast food, and small shops.

Oerdin

A small format Ikea might be a good fit space wise but this is a suburban area with a fair amount of commercial (warehousing and manufacturing) so I doubt that is their ideal location.

https://www.furnituretoday.com/furniture-retailing/small-format-store-a-boost-to-ikeas-presence-in-this-texas-metro/

I wonder if OfficeMax or similar do small format stores?

Oliver the Second

How about an In-N-Out?

No, not the hamburger chain, I mean a bordello.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 2 View List

Oerdin

Already one down the street and besides those need drive thoughts so a former Best Buy location won't work.  No, prostitution is illegal here.

I was honestly just curious and speculating after seeing a local news piece on the Trader Joe's.

Shen Li

Canadian Tire continues to do well. They bought the Mark's stores. Winners/Marshalls appear to be doing well jusdging by the number of new stores I see popping up.