Replies: 7375
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:46:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Odinson

Tomorrow is my last trip before I begin pre retirement annual vacation

Started by Brent, January 24, 2024, 06:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

Congratulations Brent. You are leaving young, healthy with lots of energy to start new adventures.

I plan on retiring in another seven or eight years. I will be fifty this year. And then I can start golfing everyday.

Lokmar

Brent

I am on my way back to my home terminal. I am soon going to start the next chapter in my life. But, first a trip to Playa Del Carmen next week.

Thiel

Quote from: Brent on January 25, 2024, 07:07:21 PMI am on my way back to my home terminal. I am soon going to start the next chapter in my life. But, first a trip to Playa Del Carmen next week.
Enjoy your Mexican holiday.
gay, conservative and proud

formosan

Quote from: Brent on January 24, 2024, 06:47:54 PMAfter 34 years at Canadian Pacific, tomorrow's trip will be my last.

I turn 55 on April 25 and I officially retire May 1. I have to use up my annual vacation left over from 2023 plus 2024's AV, plus stat days, plus some banked time. That will carry me until May 1. :stars:

Brent, I wish you health, and happiness as you commence new adventures.
too old to be a fashionista

caskur

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Shen Li

Quote from: caskur on January 27, 2024, 01:05:08 PMThey make us retire at 67 in Australia.

They work us to death
You can collect a heavily reduced Canada Pension Plan at 60 here. Our Old Age Security kicks in at 65. But, defined benefit pension plans are not paid for through general revenues like OAS is or mandated payroll taxes like CPP.

His pension is a private defined benefit plan. Not many companies have them anymore.

Brent

Quote from: caskur on January 27, 2024, 01:05:08 PMThey make us retire at 67 in Australia.

They work us to death
We have a private defined benefit pension at Canadian Pacific. I can't collect CPP until I am at least sixty, and it will be cut back 36 percent if I take it that early. I can't collect Old Age Security until I am at least sixty five. And my income will be too high to collect the Guaranteed Income Supplement.

None of those three pay enough to live on. In Canada, you have to have company matching RRSP's or a private pension. Otherwise you end up a broke seventy year old like Joe. I would not wish that on my worst enemy.

caskur

Yeah but when you are on a pension in Oz, everything you buy is cheaper for instance a prescription that might cost $25 will only cost $7.60.... and your council rates that might be over $2,000 a year cost you $1,000.

In actual fact life on pensions in Australia are good but if you are a drinker, smoker or gambler then your pension doesn't really stretch.

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Herman

Quote from: caskur on January 27, 2024, 11:42:09 PMYeah but when you are on a pension in Oz, everything you buy is cheaper for instance a prescription that might cost $25 will only cost $7.60.... and your council rates that might be over $2,000 a year cost you $1,000.

In actual fact life on pensions in Australia are good but if you are a drinker, smoker or gambler then your pension doesn't really stretch.

There are discounts here too. But, old Jock's pension aint like a compulsory public pension.

I will have next to nothing in my CPP because I worked outside Canada most of my working life.

caskur

Quote from: Herman on January 27, 2024, 11:46:39 PMThere are discounts here too. But, old Jock's pension aint like a compulsory public pension.

I will have next to nothing in my CPP because I worked outside Canada most of my working life.

We don't discriminate like that..

If the pension is $470 a week... everyone gets that whether you have worked for 0 years or 40 years.

- Andy Warhol

Herman

Quote from: caskur on January 27, 2024, 11:54:59 PMWe don't discriminate like that..

If the pension is $470 a week... everyone gets that whether you have worked for 0 years or 40 years.

That is like our Old Age Security. We have three different tupes of public pensions.
-Canada Pension plan which you have to contribute to to collect.
-Old Age Security which everybody 65 and over collects. I think it's about $730 a month.
-Guaranteed Income Supplement. It is about $320 a month. You have to be 65 for that one too. You have to be under a certain income level for that. I think it is about $70,000 a year. Old Jock won't qualify for that when he turns 65. Not with a golden plated pension from Canadian Pacific plus his CPP.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

caskur

Quote from: Herman on January 28, 2024, 12:15:02 AMThat is like our Old Age Security. We have three different tupes of public pensions.
-Canada Pension plan which you have to contribute to to collect.
-Old Age Security which everybody 65 and over collects. I think it's about $730 a month.
-Guaranteed Income Supplement. It is about $320 a month. You have to be 65 for that one too. You have to be under a certain income level for that. I think it is about $70,000 a year. Old Jock won't qualify for that when he turns 65. Not with golden plated pension from Canadian Pacific plus his CPP.

We too have another system. SUPERANNUATION... WHERE you receive a part pension and top up with your super savings.

- Andy Warhol

Herman

Quote from: caskur on January 28, 2024, 12:32:50 AMWe too have another system. SUPERANNUATION... WHERE you receive a part pension and top up with your super savings.

Ya, I remember that when I lived in Queensland.

caskur

Quote from: Herman on January 28, 2024, 12:36:50 AMYa, I remember that when I lived in Queensland.

You might have super you don't know about. You should check.
- Andy Warhol