Replies: 7378
Total votes: : 3

Last post: May 19, 2024, 11:52:50 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Tomorrow is my last trip before I begin pre retirement annual vacation

Started by Brent, January 24, 2024, 06:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Quote from: caskur on January 28, 2024, 12:47:09 AMYou might have super you don't know about. You should check.
I got my contributions out after leaving Aus.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

caskur

Quote from: Herman on January 28, 2024, 12:48:37 AMI got my contributions out after leaving Aus.

Remember in the old days young people were being ripped off by way of fees. It was a real racket when it first started off
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Herman

Quote from: caskur on January 28, 2024, 12:56:31 AMRemember in the old days young people were being ripped off by way of fees. It was a real racket when it first started off
I hear CPP is an expensive racket too.

JOE

Quote from: DKG on January 25, 2024, 07:22:10 AMCongratulations Brent. You are leaving young, healthy with lots of energy to start new adventures.

I plan on retiring in another seven or eight years. I will be fifty this year. And then I can start golfing everyday.

Well, yer certainly lucky DKG.

the nation where you or your parents came from...aint.
If yer parents managed to get themselves and you outta there yer very lucky.
Many South Koreans live in dire poverty, get measely pensions, are forced ta eat outta soup kitchens or perform menial jobs. Some grannies even have to prostitute themselves ta make ends meet, eh?

The fact that there is even a pension in our country is a miracle in itself.

Hardly existed prior to WWII, eh? And if it did it was miniscule.
People often worked til they died. I had one grandfather like that who died after WWII. He was a farmer. He had a family of 14 to support. One day he was working in the field & he collapsed. Dead just like that and I think he wasn't even 55. i never even met or knew him as he died over 10 years before I was born. I'm older today than when he died.

Actually I had this discussion with my older sister the other day.
The decade she was born was just when old age pensions started ta kick in.
People JUST started to get them in masse during the late 1940s or early 1950s. I actually remembered some of these people myself.

And back then, a good chance was many people were dead by age 65.
Shit Post! Shit Post! x 1 View List

formosan

Quote from: Herman on January 28, 2024, 01:09:38 AMI hear CPP is an expensive racket too.
You pay a lot between employer and employee and you get very little when you retire.
too old to be a fashionista

TheProwler

Quote from: formosan on January 29, 2024, 02:20:22 PMYou pay a lot between employer and employee and you get very little when you retire.

I did my retire planning without considering CPP and OAS.

So I am good without it, but when they kick in, it will be extra spending money.
Agree Agree x 2 View List

Shen Li

I have been to South Korea. Canada has more absolute poverty than SK and it's getting worse in Canada.

TheProwler

Quote from: Shen Li on January 29, 2024, 04:25:40 PMI have been to South Korea. Canada has more absolute poverty than SK and it's getting worse in Canada.

You do not have to look any further than Senile Joe to know that some people in Canada are really struggling.

Brent

Quote from: TheProwler on January 29, 2024, 05:19:11 PMYou do not have to look any further than Senile Joe to know that some people in Canada are really struggling.
Winner winner, chicken dinner.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on January 29, 2024, 05:19:11 PMYou do not have to look any further than Senile Joe to know that some people in Canada are really struggling.

Actually Prowler, one thing I think retired people should/ought to do - is to start SMALL, low-risk businesses. Side hustles, ways of making extra income in order to fund retirement.

And this isn't so different to what former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole once advocated. I think he mentioned that and it was a good idea that he put forth.

So I'm just taking a page out of his playbook.

I don't think it's realistic for Canadians to expect the state to provide for them with everything in the future. I think many retirees have to be willing to step up and find ways to generate extra income for themselves.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on January 29, 2024, 08:12:24 PMActually Prowler, one thing I think retired people should/ought to do - is to start SMALL, low-risk businesses. Side hustles, ways of making extra income in order to fund retirement.

And this isn't so different to what former Conservative leader Erin O'Toole once advocated. I think he mentioned that and it was a good idea that he put forth.

So I'm just taking a page out of his playbook.

I don't think it's realistic for Canadians to expect the state to provide for them with everything in the future. I think many retirees have to be willing to step up and find ways to generate extra income for themselves.

Shut up, you fuckin' retard.

Normal, responsible people do not count on the government to fund any of their retirement.

What kind of a loser thinks about "funding their retirement" after they are retired?

Senile Joe, learn to read, you fuckin' idiot.

JOE

Quote from: TheProwler on January 29, 2024, 08:24:20 PMShut up, you fuckin' retard.

Normal, responsible people do not count on the government to fund any of their retirement.

What kind of a loser thinks about "funding their retirement" after they are retired?

Senile Joe, learn to read, you fuckin' idiot.

Well, I know the guy who started one of the original collector comic book stores in Vancouver 50 years ago. Guess what? He's still working along with his partner/wife. They have their own store in Vancouver. They are both in their 70s.

The guy's a real pioneer and a local legend in the industry.
I went to his original store way back in the 80s
I see him and his wife at shows all the time.

BTW, he's a cancer survivor too.

While the guy could go into an old folks home, he just doesn't wanna fade away and sit on his butt. He and significant other want to do something, interact with the public, meet people.

Nicest guy ya'd ever want to meet.

I don't think he had a lot of education either.
He just had enough spunk to be his own boss/man.
Gotta admire somebody like that.

Perhaps he/she are not typical retirees but goes ta show ya people don't have to fade away in some hole.

And btw, a lot of retirees in canada seem to expect a cradle to the grave social security system for eternity.

and all I can say to them is - watch out. Their expectations may be very unrealistic.

My mom and dad who worked hard all their lives, expected it and got it, but future retirees may not be so lucky.

Herman

Quote from: formosan on January 29, 2024, 02:20:22 PMYou pay a lot between employer and employee and you get very little when you retire.
CPP is only a retirement supplement.

TheProwler

Quote from: JOE on January 29, 2024, 08:36:19 PMHe's still working along with his partner/wife. They have their own store in Vancouver. They are both in their 70s.

That selfish prick should get his ass out of the store and open up a job for the younger generation.

DKG

If he had spent his prime working years saving and planning for his future instead of trolling message boards he would not be a destitute senior today.