Replies: 7851
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:35:19 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Garraty_47

New U of A study challenges the efficacy of searching for a soulmate

Started by Shen Li, February 18, 2024, 04:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shen Li

Most people I know that have gotten into relationships recently in Canada and China have met by actively looking on dating and relationship sites. However, my alma mater, the Uni of Alberta a study that says might not be the best way to find love.

QuoteThe hunt for a soulmate can sometimes be demoralizing for the romantically unattached, but one University of Alberta professor believes that very hunt may be hurting your chances at long-lasting love.

That's according to the findings of a new study co-authored by Adam Galovan, from the Faculty of Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences, and co-author of a new research report that challenges the myth of there being a perfect match, or "soulmate."

Instead of following previous studies that analyzed the satisfaction rates of couples who identify as soulmates, Galovan and his colleagues decided to investigate how these types of couples defined satisfaction, and whether or not they were actually healthy relationships.

"It depends on if you have a destiny belief or a growth belief in relationships," said Galovan.

"A destiny belief is the idea that if you can just find that one and only soulmate then everything will just be perfect.

"The growth belief is one where you think there are many people out there we could probably get along with, but we have to put in effort and contribute to the relationship."

The study suggests five methods to help set aside the kind of thinking that leads to what they call the "soul trap."

The first, and the most vital method according to Galovan, is to avoid what they call a consumer approach to relationship, where the allure of personal gain, low cost, and entitlement leads one to think something better is always around the corner.

"You know it's not just what you're getting from the relationship," said Galovan.

"Are you actually developing healthy relationship habits that help you question not just if they're right for you but are you right for them? Have you developed the ability to work through differences, and differences of opinion, to show compassion and to be supportive and the type of person that I'm hoping to find for myself."

The study also advises people looking for love to set realistic expectations, develop a more well-rounded understanding of love, and maintain an optimistic outlook in the face of potential heartbreaks.

"Sometimes a relationship doesn't work out, and you have to be able to walk away," said Galovan.

"If you stay optimistic, you can say try again, maybe evaluate yourself a bit and grow. It will still hurt, but getting out of the soulmate mentality gives you more optimism that there are other opportunities out there to find happiness with someone."
https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2024/02/want-to-find-lifelong-love-stop-looking-for-your-soulmate.html

Herman

My ex wife was my soul mate, but we had no chemistry. I aint got a lot in common with the old lady I am with now, but man do we have chemistry.

Brent

Quote from: Herman on February 18, 2024, 07:05:43 PMMy ex wife was my soul mate, but we had no chemistry. I aint got a lot in common with the old lady I am with now, but man do we have chemistry.
My wife and I have both.

Thiel

Quote from: Shen Li on February 18, 2024, 04:02:18 PMMost people I know that have gotten into relationships recently in Canada and China have met by actively looking on dating and relationship sites. However, my alma mater, the Uni of Alberta a study that says might not be the best way to find love.

I met Jo Jo online. We are very happy together.
Funny Funny x 1 View List
gay, conservative and proud

Thiel

Quote from: Herman on February 18, 2024, 07:05:43 PMMy ex wife was my soul mate, but we had no chemistry. I aint got a lot in common with the old lady I am with now, but man do we have chemistry.
Jo Jo and I have have a terrific sex life.
You're Gross! You're Gross! x 2 Funny Funny x 1 View List

Lokmar

Thiel

Funny Funny x 1 Creative Creative x 1 View List

Lokmar

Quote from: Thiel on February 19, 2024, 06:51:30 PMLokmar is jealous that Jo Jo and I are so happy together.

Wow! You must have been half beat to death with a dillhammer!

NOBODY here is jelly of that fuktard josephine! He's all yours!

formosan

This year is our twenty fourth anniversary..

I couldn't imagine my life without my husband.
Winner Winner x 1 View List
too old to be a fashionista

Herman

Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is Alticus a dick sucking fairy? (answer is opposite of no):
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview