News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 7375
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 04:46:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Odinson

Shelby vs the Corvette...which one is a Better Buy?

Started by JOE, February 21, 2024, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

...did some quick searches on the Web only to discover that Shelbys appear to hold their value better after years of use than Corvettes. This also appeared be true on the highly regarded Hagerty Index.

Here's some examples....

Shelby:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby?page=3

Corvette:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale

...am I Right i this regard?

Do Shelbys hold their value over time better than the Corvettes?

What do you think?

Opinions/comments most welcome.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on February 21, 2024, 08:23:01 PM...did some quick searches on the Web only to discover that Shelbys appear to hold their value better after years of use than Corvettes. This also appeared be true on the highly regarded Hagerty Index.

Here's some examples....

Shelby:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby?page=3

Corvette:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale

...am I Right i this regard?

Do Shelbys hold their value over time better than the Corvettes?

What do you think?

Opinions/comments most welcome.

You dont know what you're talking about as usual, josephine. It would be more accurate to compare MUSTANGS vs  Corvettes.

A 2020 Shelby GT 500 would be more comparable to a 2019 ZO6 vette at the very LEAST and possibly a ZR1. Even then, they are very different cars. A GT500 Shelby cant keep up with either a ZO6 or a ZR1 on a road course. Hell, a GT500 cant even keep up with my ZLE Camaro on a shorter road course and is only able to stay in front on a very high speed course like VIR. Even at VIR, a ZLE Camaro is up the GT500's ass at every corner.

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on February 21, 2024, 08:47:35 PMYou dont know what you're talking about as usual, josephine. It would be more accurate to compare MUSTANGS vs  Corvettes.

A 2020 Shelby GT 500 would be more comparable to a 2019 ZO6 vette at the very LEAST and possibly a ZR1. Even then, they are very different cars. A GT500 Shelby cant keep up with either a ZO6 or a ZR1 on a road course. Hell, a GT500 cant even keep up with my ZLE Camaro on a shorter road course and is only able to stay in front on a very high speed course like VIR. Even at VIR, a ZLE Camaro is up the GT500's ass at every corner.

...but still, the Shelby appears to have better re-sale value...Lokmeer.

I've seen some vintage Shelby's listed for over $700,000 US. That's like $1 million Canadian or Australian.

Even those late models run minimum $60,000.

Meanwhile, Corvettes from similar years only fetch $30,000 or less.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on February 21, 2024, 08:50:45 PM...but still, the Shelby appears to have better re-sale value...Lokmeer.

I've seen some vintage Shelby's listed for over $700,000 US. That's like $1 million Canadian or Australian.

Even those late models run minimum $60,000.

Meanwhile, Corvettes from similar years only fetch $30,000 or less.

Wow, you simply refuse to listen, dipshit.

Low end Mustangs sell for $1500 while low end corvettes sell for $20,000.

Compare your $700K shelby to these:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/1971-chevy-corvette-zr2-454-big-block-mecum-auctions/

JOE

Look Lokmeer:

https://www.iseecars.com/compare/ford-shelby_gt500-vs-chevrolet-corvette

a side to side comparison between 2014 Shelby vs a 2014 Corvette.

2014 Shelby Used Asking Price: $46,250 - $75,100

2014 Corvette Used Asking Price: $36,105 - $52,996

So quite obviously, the depreciation of a Corvette is greater over time vs the Shelby, eh?

If a person sees the car as an investment, they'd sure lose a lotta money over time with a Corvette
Shit Post! Shit Post! x 1 View List

TheProwler

From Senile Joe's link:

Chevrolet Corvette Rankings

Luxury Hatchbacks with the Most Horsepower

Ranking
1 out of 25

Best American Luxury Coupes

Ranking
1 out of 4

Best American Luxury 2-seater Cars

Ranking
1 out of 4

Best American Luxury Sports Cars

Ranking
1 out of 4

Best American Luxury Hatchbacks

Ranking
1 out of 3

Luxury Sports Cars with the Most Horsepower

Ranking
2 out of 40

Luxury Coupes with the Most Horsepower

Ranking
2 out of 33

Luxury Hatchbacks with Best Resale Value

Ranking
2 out of 25

Luxury 2-seater Cars with the Most Horsepower

Ranking
2 out of 20

Most Comfortable Luxury 2-seater Cars

Ranking
2 out of 20

Luxury Coupes with Best Resale Value

Ranking
3 out of 33

Most Comfortable Luxury Hatchbacks

Ranking
3 out of 25

Best Luxury 2-seater Cars

Ranking
3 out of 20

Luxury 2-seater Cars with Best Resale Value

Ranking
4 out of 20

Most Affordable Luxury 2-seater Cars

Ranking
4 out of 14

Luxury Sports Cars with Best Resale Value

Ranking
5 out of 40

Best Luxury Coupes

Ranking
5 out of 33

Best Luxury Hatchbacks

Ranking
5 out of 25

The four that should really stand out for Senile Joe:

Luxury Hatchbacks with Best Resale Value

Ranking
2 out of 25

Luxury Coupes with Best Resale Value

Ranking
3 out of 33

Luxury 2-seater Cars with Best Resale Value

Ranking
4 out of 20

Luxury Sports Cars with Best Resale Value

Ranking
5 out of 40

Not that I give a shit about resale value, but I know Senile Joe does, and this information shows that the Corvette is ranked pretty high for resale value.

This thread has really backfired on you, Senile Joe.

You dumb cunt.

JOE

I dug deeper into the price stats  on the HAGERTY INDEX and this is what I saw for 10 year old Shelby & Corvette vehicles:

2014 SHELBY

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/search?q=2014+Ford+Shelby+GT500+Coupe

2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500: $47,400
2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Super Snake (2dr Coupe): $60,200
2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Super Snake (2dr Convertible): $76,600

2014 CORVETTE

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/search?q=2014+Chevrolet+Corvette

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (2dr Coupe): $37,000
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (2dr Convertible) $38,100

I suspect the Hagerty Index is regarded as a reliable source & an Industry Standard for providing reliable stats on late model vehicles?

Oliver the Second

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on February 22, 2024, 01:52:43 AMLook Lokmeer:

https://www.iseecars.com/compare/ford-shelby_gt500-vs-chevrolet-corvette

a side to side comparison between 2014 Shelby vs a 2014 Corvette.

2014 Shelby Used Asking Price: $46,250 - $75,100

2014 Corvette Used Asking Price: $36,105 - $52,996

So quite obviously, the depreciation of a Corvette is greater over time vs the Shelby, eh?

If a person sees the car as an investment, they'd sure lose a lotta money over time with a Corvette

You stupid dickhead.  :facepalm:

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on February 22, 2024, 07:09:02 AMI dug deeper into the price stats  on the HAGERTY INDEX and this is what I saw for 10 year old Shelby & Corvette vehicles:

2014 SHELBY

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/search?q=2014+Ford+Shelby+GT500+Coupe

2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500: $47,400
2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Super Snake (2dr Coupe): $60,200
2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Super Snake (2dr Convertible): $76,600

2014 CORVETTE

https://www.hagerty.com/valuation-tools/search?q=2014+Chevrolet+Corvette

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (2dr Coupe): $37,000
2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (2dr Convertible) $38,100

I suspect the Hagerty Index is regarded as a reliable source & an Industry Standard for providing reliable stats on late model vehicles?

You retarded buttfucker!  :facepalm:

You should be comparing a Super Snake which is NOT A FORD PRODUCT to a Hennesey or Callaway Corvette WHICH IS NOT A GM PRODUCT.

The Shelby GT500 is a top tier Ford Product with licensing from Shelby. You have to compare that to the top tier Corvette product which I think would be the ZO6, NOT the fuking Stink-Ray, ya fukin imbecile!

Beta men like you should never embarrass yourselves by talking about cars.

Next, josephine will compare the value of a base V6 Challenger to a Shelby GT500!

TheProwler

Senile Joe is jealous of my car.

It is pretty obvious.

Agree Agree x 1 View List

Lokmar

Quote from: TheProwler on February 22, 2024, 05:56:50 PMSenile Joe is jealous of my car.

It is pretty obvious.

josephine doesnt even have any car knowledge so he doesnt even know WTF to be jelly about! Sounds like he was raised by a buncha damned women!

JOE

Quote from: Lokmar on February 22, 2024, 08:23:11 PMjosephine doesnt even have any car knowledge so he doesnt even know WTF to be jelly about! Sounds like he was raised by a buncha damned women!

You know, the more you impart your car knowledge, the more I realize I wouldn't buy cars like TheProwler has done.

His way is the dumb way. Buy some overpriced claptrap off an equally overpriced car lot.

However, your approach seems kinda smart - which is taking underpriced cars...and fixin' em up. I know somebody like that who bought a used vintage Mustang for $15,000 US and put another $10,000 into it and esssentially got himself a new vintage car worth more than that. In fact, currently worth much more than Prowler's 2023 Corvette.

So if I was gonna spend $100,000, it'd be like on 3 vintage cars with a lot of potential, and then fix them up. Keep one or 2 and sell the ones I don't want.

Like it or not, cars are investment.

You can buy dumb or you can buy smart.

However, I'd rather buy smart.

Get more for less.

As my good friend cc used ta say, "Buy Low, sell High"

And this applies to cars as well....Lokmeer!

And it applies to coins, collectibles, antiques, whatever.

Lokmar

Quote from: JOE on February 22, 2024, 09:37:11 PMYou know, the more you impart your car knowledge, the more I realize I wouldn't buy cars like TheProwler has done.

His way is the dumb way. Buy some overpriced claptrap off an equally overpriced car lot.

However, your approach seems kinda smart - which is taking underpriced cars...and fixin' em up. I know somebody like that who bought a used vintage Mustang for $15,000 US and put another $10,000 into it and esssentially got himself a new vintage car worth more than that. In fact, currently worth much more than Prowler's 2023 Corvette.

So if I was gonna spend $100,000, it'd be like on 3 vintage cars with a lot of potential, and then fix them up. Keep one or 2 and sell the ones I don't want.

Like it or not, cars are investment.

You can buy dumb or you can buy smart.

However, I'd rather buy smart.

Get more for less.

As my good friend cc used ta say, "Buy Low, sell High"

And this applies to cars as well....Lokmeer!

And it applies to coins, collectibles, antiques, whatever.

We sold labor. We didnt buy and sell cars.

josephine, if you want to know something about cars, ASK. Your dumb ass hate for Prowler doesnt make you car smart, in fact, its made you look ignorant. His C8 will retain an above average resale value.

My ZLE will go down as I race it but it will always be worth a shitload of money, even if I put 100K miles on it. Why? Because it's universally recognized as one of the best value factory race cars EVER produced ANYWHERE.

JOE

If I were really gung ho about investing in cars I'd also consider taking a course or program in auto service technician at a local community college.

However cars don't really interest me that much.

While I like the appearance of vintage cars I'm also aware there's another dimension to servicing them. And if a person doesn't know what they are getting themselves into they can be a real money pit as I've known people who owned much lesser cars who spent a fortune on them.

Still something such as a 1957 Corvette does look tempting. Saw one advertised the other day asking $60,000.

And yes something like that would be an investment and not a plaything. I wouldn't throw money around like that without expecting a return on my investment (ROI). Having driven limousines I know how costly vehicles are to maintain and operate.

Ideally I'd put a car like that ta work for movie or advertising shoot rentals. I know there's a market for that sort of thing because I once drove a cadillac stretch limousine to the TV set of the Good Doctor which they used in one if their productions.