The best topic

Replies: 9983
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 08:58:16 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

OLD AGE

Started by caskur, June 06, 2024, 09:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

caskur

I google this... how true does it sound to you?

At what age am I considered old?

But the general consensus seems to be that you are officially "old" somewhere in your mid-70s. "For a 64 year old, the estimated perceived onset of old age was 74.7 years," according to the study.23 Apr 2024
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Lokmar

I'd say 75-80 is definitely old. 80 for sure.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Oliver the Second

For men old age is when you don't get morning wood anymore.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

Prof Emeritus at Fawk U

Quote from: Oliver the Second on June 06, 2024, 10:37:55 AMFor men old age is when you don't get morning wood anymore.

In that case, I'm not old. 
Watch what you say to me or I'll mind FAWK U.

Garraty_47

There's a flaw in the basic premise of that proposition.

For the question "too old for what?" there's a sliding scale of answers.

It's not one-size-fits-all even for individuals.

*snif*snif*

Smells like social media clickbait nonsense.

Biggie Smiles

JOE

Quote from: caskur on June 06, 2024, 09:55:32 AMI google this... how true does it sound to you?

Old Age is when your health falls apart & you can no longer function or do anything for yourself. And after that you need assistance to do everything you once assumed or took for granted that you could do alone without anyone's help.

Some people reach that plateau in their 50s. Others in their 60s/70s. Some in their 80s. A  few in their 90s. And some just die before they ever reach that plateau.
Winner Winner x 1 View List

caskur

Quote from: JOE on June 06, 2024, 11:53:08 AMOld Age is when your health falls apart & you can no longer function or do anything for yourself. And after that you need assistance to do everything you once assumed or took for granted that you could do alone without anyone's help.

Some people reach that plateau in their 50s. Others in their 60s/70s. Some in their 80s. A  few in their 90s. And some just die before they ever reach that plateau.

I think you are right...

Lots of people have conditions and they don't know what is wrong until they are stage 4.

My neighbour has worked really hard to stay fit and she about 78 but more like 48... she is an English science teacher, retired but she volunteers all over the place.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

DKG

I am turning fifty. I don't consider myself old or approaching old age. I am not bragging, but I still workout three-four times a week. I wish I didn't suffer from male pattern baldness.

JOE

Quote from: caskur on June 06, 2024, 12:55:41 PMI think you are right...

Lots of people have conditions and they don't know what is wrong until they are stage 4.

My neighbour has worked really hard to stay fit and she about 78 but more like 48... she is an English science teacher, retired but she volunteers all over the place.

Well avatar_caskur caskur I'm gonna retire soon & unlike many my age I have no health issues. So I'm lucky. I could probably work fulltime till well inta my 70s. However it's such a meaningless waste of time. Punch the clock, do my hours, collect a paycheck, blah blah & still blah.

However theres a flipside which is the longer I live the longer I'll have ta work. Or else the money will run out.  So after I retire I'll probably retrain get some new skills & start a business.

I'd rather treat retirement like a luxury or caviar which ought not to be wasted. A pile of cash may seem like a lot when a person retires. But it can dwindle very quickly if a person isnt careful so they need to keep the money flowin' in. I've known more than a few who've quickly squandered their retirement savings quickly by doing nothing productive. It isn't wise to just sit around all day.

"Idleness is the Devil's worship." Or " A rolling stone gathers no moss."
Agree Agree x 1 Shit Post! Shit Post! x 1 View List

JOE

One post retirement business I've considered is import export because it enables a person to work only whenever they want, take on only the amount of work or shipments they can handle or wish to sell at any given time. Plus they can travel, take short vacations, go places and do business at the same time. Other thing is it's a mobile business where a person can take it with them on the road, hop from one country to another & live like a digital nomad. Just pass out your business card, get potential clients while yer havin fun.

Another benefit is they can get paid in currencies more valuable than their own. Who wouldn't wanna be paid in US dollars, Euros or Swiss francs instead of Canadian, NZ or Australian dollars?  Just that alone a person can make 30-50% more than working or getting paid only by local clients.

caskur

People are calling me old but mentally I am not old according to that thing I just post but if the next decade goes as fast as the lest one, I'm screwed.

:dontknow:
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Quote from: caskur on June 06, 2024, 03:19:51 PMPeople are calling me old but mentally I am not old according to that thing I just post but if the next decade goes as fast as the lest one, I'm screwed.

:dontknow:

If you sit around doing nothing & being unproductive time will pass quickly and you'll feel like you haven't accomplished anything.

Oliver the Second

Quote from: JOE on June 06, 2024, 03:29:44 PMIf you sit around doing nothing & being unproductive time will pass quickly and you'll feel like you haven't accomplished anything.

Screw that, I spent the last 60 years accomplishing stuff and that's plenty enough for me. The only thing I want to accomplish now is watching every episode of CHiPs until I've memorized them all.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 2 View List

Herman

Quote from: caskur on June 06, 2024, 09:55:32 AMI google this... how true does it sound to you?

But the general consensus seems to be that you are officially "old" somewhere in your mid-70s. "For a 64 year old, the estimated perceived onset of old age was 74.7 years," according to the study.23 Apr 2024
I am fifty six. I don't consider myself old yet, but I am getting there.

Not so long ago I could do all the work on my farm by myself and still have time in a summer evening to go for a long ride on my bike. Now it's Netflix, a few thimbles of barrel wash and bed.
Agree Agree x 1 View List