Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Canadian Governments Replace Mafia In Pricing Alcohol

Started by Anonymous, November 07, 2014, 02:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

QuoteOn the other hand again, taxes too high on tobacco has lead to a lucrative black market tobacco smuggling business

Thank you for reminding us about that one. When the government totally overcharges the public for something then they can expect some illegal competition as a result of their greed. How much do those criminal gangs that the government helped create cost our criminal justice system?

RW

I would imagine not a lot considering we don't seem to jail people around here.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I would imagine not a lot considering we don't seem to jail people around here.

Aboriginal gangs for smuggling? Does that fucking surprise you?

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
But those high taxes on alcohol pay for the high costs to our heath care and police services alcohol causes.

That's a slippery slide you are talking about. If you start taxing things for the "common good"; where does it end? What's the next target that the blood sucking government types will attack next?

In the US tobacco products are heavily taxed and new taxes are added each year. It not only made tobacco products extremely expensive but through the use of gov sponsored and tax funded education campaigns it made whole groups of people into social pariahs. Now tobacco consumption is way down and the government is constantly looking for new taxes to offset the loss in revenue. In other words the Gov taxed and shamed their cash cow into the endangered species zone. Critics of tobacco use may say that this is a good thing but the Gov only sees it as that much less money pouring into their coffers.

Obesity is now looking like it will be the next target. Noise has been made about taxing junk food and food products that contain over certain amount of sugar. Efforts to tax or limit sugary beverages are in place in many places and this new found form of revenue shows little sign that it will be going away anytime soon. As if people like me didn't have it bad enough it's only a matter of time before we are turned in complete social pariahs as well.

So where does it stop? If you allow your Government to institute these kinds of taxes you are opening a can of worms that you will never be able to seal again. Remember; governments main purpose is to survive, perpetuate itself, expand and control whatever and whoever it can. AND they can only do that by reaching into your wallet and taking what is not rightfully theirs, all under the guise of providing services and making a so-called better world for all.

We have grown complacent and stupid and have given our governments too much power over our lives. We are now ruled over by a cast of privileged career politicians that many come from politically connect dynastic families. They are the ruling elite and they have no intention of relinquishing power. Their entire aim is to keep you and I stupid so that they can freely feed from the taxpayer provide communal trough.

AND BTW, before someone pipes up and starts saying that this is indicative of western democracy I just want to say that this in not exclusive to governments here in the west. It is true for just about every fucking government on this globe and you would be well served to never forget that.

I too have a problem with being taxed for my own good. First it is tobacco and liquor, then it's gasoline and environmental taxes. They all sound good in thery; the user pays. But, it has the effect of taking more money out of our pockets. The results are all too often dubious. They seldom make life better for anyone.

On the other hand, taxes are a good way for discouraging harmful behaviours. I am a smoker myself, but I do not want to see anyone take up the habit. On the other hand again, taxes too high on tobacco has lead to a lucrative black market tobacco smuggling business in Ontario.

I didn't consider that it could encourage organized crime..

Still, I think there should be higher taxes on cigarettes and alcohol.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"I would imagine not a lot considering we don't seem to jail people around here.

Aboriginal gangs for smuggling? Does that fucking surprise you?

Smuggling is not a crime exclusive to First Nations people.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"You guys think the government is babysitting you when really it's all about their bottom line.

Do not get me wrong, I am not against sin taxes on products harmful to our health. But, there is a tipping point when the taxes become so high it produces activities that much more nefarious to the general public. Governments don't get any revenue when criminals sell contraband smokes.

Gary Oak

Quote from: "Real Woman"You guys think the government is babysitting you when really it's all about their bottom line.

Do not get me wrong, I am not against sin taxes on products harmful to our health. But, there is a tipping point when the taxes become so high it produces activities that much more nefarious to the general public. Governments don't get any revenue when criminals sell contraband smokes.

Seoulfag smokes and probably carries a man purse just like every other Canadiscam does. :howdy:  ac_drinks  ac_toofunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gary Oak"

Seoulfag smokes and probably carries a man purse just like every other Canadiscam does. :howdy:  ac_drinks  ac_toofunny

ac_rollseyes

reel

France has extremely low costs for alcohol, extremely high rates of consumption (litres/person/year), and public healthcare.  However, they have low incidence of public drunkeness, drunk driving, and alcoholism.

I believe that problems with alcohol are rooted in cultural values, and are not prevented by government intervention by a nanny state.  In fact, I believe the opposite is true.  Most children in France are exposed to low levels of alcohol consumption relatively early on and in a family environment.  Thus, drinking is not a big deal and consumption is rooted in family values (ie. have a drink or two at dinner, don't drink too much, just as you wouldn't eat too much).  Contrast that to North America, where drinking underage is taboo and thus excessive drinking appeals enormously to rebellious teenagers.  People get drunk on weekends as teenagers and then later in life associate getting drunk on weekends with being young and free.  The government imposed temperance (via excessive taxes) promotes and prolongs the unhealthy attitude we have developed towards drinking.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"France has extremely low costs for alcohol, extremely high rates of consumption (litres/person/year), and public healthcare.  However, they have low incidence of public drunkeness, drunk driving, and alcoholism.

I believe that problems with alcohol are rooted in cultural values, and are not prevented by government intervention by a nanny state.  In fact, I believe the opposite is true.  Most children in France are exposed to low levels of alcohol consumption relatively early on and in a family environment.  Thus, drinking is not a big deal and consumption is rooted in family values (ie. have a drink or two at dinner, don't drink too much, just as you wouldn't eat too much).  Contrast that to North America, where drinking underage is taboo and thus excessive drinking appeals enormously to rebellious teenagers.  People get drunk on weekends as teenagers and then later in life associate getting drunk on weekends with being young and free.  The government imposed temperance (via excessive taxes) promotes and prolongs the unhealthy attitude we have developed towards drinking.

I agree with everything you wrote reel. However, there are countries with cheap booze prices and high rates of alcoholism. how people drink is very much a cultural thing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"France has extremely low costs for alcohol, extremely high rates of consumption (litres/person/year), and public healthcare.  However, they have low incidence of public drunkeness, drunk driving, and alcoholism.

I like high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes reel as a way to curb unhealthy behaviours..

Doesn't it also help to pay for the extra costs to our health care too?

reel

I like high taxes on alcohol and cigarettes reel as a way to curb unhealthy behaviours..

I disagree that drinking alcohol is unhealthy.  It's unhealthy when done in excess, but so are potato chips, chocolate bars, soft drinks... the list is very long.  Should we have a public health tax on all those things as well?

Renee

Any time I hear someone say "I like high taxes" (on anything), I have to cringe and think to myself, "WTF is wrong with that person?".  ac_wot
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

reel

Any time I hear someone say "I like high taxes" (on anything), I have to cringe and think to myself, "WTF is wrong with that person?".  ac_wot

I can understand where she's coming from.

There's a big story in Canadian news media right now about a pregnant woman (6mos) who went on vacation in Hawaii, had a premature birth, had to be air-lifted, spend time in hospital, etc.  Their bill was nearly 1 million dollars.  She had insurance, but they decided not to cover her, on the basis that pregnancy was a pre-existing condition, or some such rot.  Now her, her husband and the newborn are likely declaring bankruptcy and selling their home.  We don't hear about this type of thing that often here, but I'm sure it's not a unique type of occurrence.

I'd rather pay higher taxes and not have this sort of thing happen to random innocent people.

Then, taxes on smoking cigarettes is similar to paying higher health insurance premiums.  I presume you have to do that if you smoke.  We don't pay health insurance, but smokers have a much higher likelihood to require the system, so taxes are the reflection of that.

I disagree on alcohol though because having a drink a day or every few days won't harm your health or make you more likely to need health care.  The tax on liquor is indeed a temperance era throw back and has become a cash cow for the government, with little justification other than increasing general revenues.

Renee

Quote from: "reel"

I can understand where she's coming from.

There's a big story in Canadian news media right now about a pregnant woman (6mos) who went on vacation in Hawaii, had a premature birth, had to be air-lifted, spend time in hospital, etc.  Their bill was nearly 1 million dollars.  She had insurance, but they decided not to cover her, on the basis that pregnancy was a pre-existing condition, or some such rot.  Now her, her husband and the newborn are likely declaring bankruptcy and selling their home.  We don't hear about this type of thing that often here, but I'm sure it's not a unique type of occurrence.

I'd rather pay higher taxes and not have this sort of thing happen to random innocent people.

Then, taxes on smoking cigarettes is similar to paying higher health insurance premiums.  I presume you have to do that if you smoke.  We don't pay health insurance, but smokers have a much higher likelihood to require the system, so taxes are the reflection of that.

I disagree on alcohol though because having a drink a day or every few days won't harm your health or make you more likely to need health care.  The tax on liquor is indeed a temperance era throw back and has become a cash cow for the government, with little justification other than increasing general revenues.

I thought your Canadian medical system covered you if the treatment was of an emergency type nature, necessary, unexpected, and done in an accredited hospital by a licensed medical professional.

I would think that being treated for an emergency premature birth and post neonatal care to save the life of a premature infant would qualify, would it not?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.