Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Movies

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2014, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 5 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=415415 time=1625779305 user_id=2015
Quote from: @realAzhyaAryola post_id=415414 time=1625778871 user_id=73
Anyone interested in watching the documentary film on Anthony Bourdain?

I'd watch it. I liked his food/travel show.

I did too. It was always well done.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: @realAzhyaAryola post_id=415518 time=1625844869 user_id=73
Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=415415 time=1625779305 user_id=2015
Quote from: @realAzhyaAryola post_id=415414 time=1625778871 user_id=73
Anyone interested in watching the documentary film on Anthony Bourdain?

I'd watch it. I liked his food/travel show.

I did too. It was always well done.

I heard he had issues with drugs in the past, but I was shocked when he killed himself.

Odinson

Used to watch this over and over when I was a kid.

Lee Majors plays the main role.

">

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=416956 time=1627581979 user_id=136
Used to watch this over and over when I was a kid.

Lee Majors plays the main role.

">

I never saw it.

Renee

Okay, if you are into horror I recommend "The Babadook". It's a slightly older film, 2014 I believe, made in Australia...It's pretty minimalist but it's all the more frightening for it.. It did shit in the box office so it didn't get a lot of attention....William Friedkin, the director of the Exorcist said "I've never seen a more terrifying film. It will scare the hell out of you as it did me."...I have to say that Friedkin wasn't far off although I found it more disturbing than frightening.

Another honorable mention in horror is "The Monster" another rather simple film but it has a tension to it that will not allow you to turn away. It's about a young drug addicted mother and her dysfunctional relationship with her early teen daughter. The daughter decides to live with her father and while traveling at night to drop the kid off,  they have an accident on a desolate wooded road. Before long they find out that they are not alone and it becomes a fight for survival...It's one of those films that makes you wonder what YOU would do in that situation.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: Renee post_id=416979 time=1627595065 user_id=156
Okay, if you are into horror I recommend "The Babadook". It's a slightly older film, 2014 I believe, made in Australia...It's pretty minimalist but it's all the more frightening for it.. It did shit in the box office so it didn't get a lot of attention....William Friedkin, the director of the Exorcist said "I've never seen a more terrifying film. It will scare the hell out of you as it did me."...I have to say that Friedkin wasn't far off although I found it more disturbing than frightening.

Another honorable mention in horror is "The Monster" another rather simple film but it has a tension to it that will not allow you to turn away. It's about a young drug addicted mother and her dysfunctional relationship with her early teen daughter. The daughter decides to live with her father and while traveling at night to drop the kid off,  they have an accident on a desolate wooded road. Before long they find out that they are not alone and it becomes a fight for survival...It's one of those films that makes you wonder what YOU would do in that situation.

I don't necessarily mind a terror movie..

But, guesome slasher movies.....never.

Renee

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=416982 time=1627595689 user_id=3254

Neither are slasher films...There is no Jason or Michael Meyers like killer running around chopping people up.. They are more psychological portrayals of troubled people... They are more like abstract social commentaries running through a backdrop of classic horror. At least that is how I view them.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: Renee post_id=417023 time=1627660373 user_id=156
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=416982 time=1627595689 user_id=3254

Neither are slasher films...There is no Jason or Michael Meyers like killer running around chopping people up.. They are more psychological portrayals of troubled people... They are more like abstract social commentaries running through a backdrop of classic horror. At least that is how I view them.

I like those types of movies.

Odinson

Did you know that the snowfall in the wizard of Oz was 100% pure asbestos?

They used to sell fake snow made of Asbestos.

Anonymous

Quote from: Odinson post_id=417325 time=1628059915 user_id=136

I didn't know that.

Renee

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=417329 time=1628083080 user_id=3254

I didn't know that.

Also Buddy Ebsen who was originally cast as the Tin Woodsman,  had a severe allergic reaction to the aluminum based silver powder they used on his face. He was hospitalized in critical condition and was replaced by Jack Hailey. They used a silver grease paint on Hailey which gave him eye infections...The Tin man's back story as described in the book was modified as it is pretty gruesome. In Baum's book the Tin Woodsman was once human but he kept chopping off pieces of himself by accident. His missing limbs and other body parts were replaced by magical prosthetics made of tin. He was also extremely cruel hence the missing heart.

The first use of foam prosthetics was used in The Wizard of Oz as part of the characters make-up. Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow and Bert Lahr as the Lion both wore them.  It took over an hour to slowly peel the foam rubber mask off of Bolger's face each day and it left permanent scars around his mouth.

Bert Lahr's lion costume weighed over 80 lbs and was made of real lion fur. It was so hot that he continually passed out under the high intensity technicolor studio lights. It didn't help that Victor Fleming let Lahr add lib many of his lines as Lahr was known for being a comedy genius. This resulted in take after take after take because the cast and crew couldn't stop laughing and no one could keep up with Lahr's add libs.

Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch) was badly burned on her face and hands during one of her firey exit scenes.  It literally burned the copper based green make-up she wore to her skin...It had to be removed with alcohol instead of the usual acetone resulting in her skin being stained permanently in a pale shade of green. It was years before it completely faded away. Also in Baum's book, ALL witch's wear white as white is considered the "Witch Color"...In fact the regions of Oz are all divided by color where everyone wears the same color clothing assigned to that particular region. Unfortunately this didn't work for the studios technicolor depiction of The Land of Oz. Only in the Emerald City is the book's characterization of a regional color scheme held true.

Jello powder was used to stain the horses fur in the "horse of a different" color segment.

The Munchkins were impossible to control and were drunk on the set more often than not...They sexually harassed all the women on the set with the then 15 year old Judy Garland bearing most of the abuse....Fucken midgets in large groups are bad news... :laugh3:

Shirley Temple was considered for the role of Dorothy. Thank God that didn't happen. A poll was undertaken by MGM of fans of the original book and Temple was the overwhelming favorite. Baum's book has Dorothy being much younger, a pre-teen and Garland was considered too old for the part. Garland's weight was also an issue so the studio put her on barbiturates to help her lose weight....Imagine a studio doing that to a minor today? They would be destroyed.

The original 1939 release of the movie basically flopped at the box office. All though it was critically acclaimed, it wasn't until it's 1949 re-release that it turned a profit, just barely grossing a few hundred thousand over it's original 2.7 million dollar budget. It wasn't until the film rights were sold to CBS in the mid 1950s that it's popularity really took off. Since then it has been released in or on various formats probably more so than any other film...The Library of congress has stated that The Wizard of Oz has been viewed by more people than any other film in history and it has had more impact on audiences than any other film including "Pyscho" or even the original 1977 "Star Wars" movie.

These are just some of the highlights about that film...The information out there about it, real and myth, is mind boggling.

Anonymous

Quote from: Renee post_id=417341 time=1628095218 user_id=156
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=417329 time=1628083080 user_id=3254

I didn't know that.

Also Buddy Ebsen who was originally cast as the Tin Woodsman,  had a severe allergic reaction to the aluminum based silver powder they used on his face. He was hospitalized in critical condition and was replaced by Jack Hailey. They used a silver grease paint on Hailey which gave him eye infections...The Tin man's back story as described in the book was modified as it is pretty gruesome. In Baum's book the Tin Woodsman was once human but he keep chopping off pieces of himself by accident. His missing limbs and other body parts were replaced by magical prosthetics made of tin. He was also extremely cruel hence the missing heart.

The first use of foam prosthetics was used in The Wizard of Oz as part of the characters make-up. Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow and Bert Lahr as the Lion both wore them.  It took over an hour to slowly peel the foam rubber mask off of Bolger's face each day and it left permanent scars around his mouth.

Bert Lahr's lion costume weighed over 80 lbs and was made of real lion fur. It was so hot that he continually passed out under the high intensity technicolor studio lights. It didn't help that Victor Fleming let Lahr add lib many of his lines as Lahr was known for being a comedy genius. This resulted in take after take after take because the cast and crew couldn't stop laughing and no one could keep up with Lahr's add libs.

Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch) was badly burned on her face and hands during one of her firey exit scenes.  It literally burned the copper based green make-up she wore to her skin...It had to be removed with alcohol instead of the usual acetone resulting in her skin being stained permanently in a pale shade of green. It was years before it completely faded away. Also in Baum's book, ALL witch's wear white as white is considered the "Witch Color"...In fact the regions of Oz are all divided by color where everyone wears the same color clothing assigned to that particular region. Unfortunately this didn't work for the studios technicolor depiction of The Land of Oz. Only in the Emerald City is the book's characterization of a regional color scheme held true.

Jello powder was used to stain the horses fur in the "horse of a different" color segment.

The Munchkins were impossible to control and were drunk on the set more often than not...They sexually harassed all the women on the set with the then 15 year old Judy Garland bearing most of the abuse....Fucken midgets in large groups are bad news... :laugh3:

Shirley Temple was considered for the role of Dorothy. Thank God that didn't happen. A poll was undertaken by MGM of fans of the original book and Temple was the overwhelming favorite. Baum's book has Dorothy being much younger, a pre-teen and Garland was considered too old for the part. Garland's weight was also an issue so the studio put her on barbiturates to help her lose weight....Imagine a studio doing that to a minor today? They would be destroyed.

The original 1939 release of the movie basically flopped at the box office. All though it was critically acclaimed, it wasn't until it's 1949 re-release that it turned a profit, just barely grossing a few hundred thousand over it's original 2.7 million dollar budget. It wasn't until the film rights were sold to CBS in the mid 1950s that it's popularity really took off. Since then it has been released in or on various formats probably more so than any other film...The Library of congress has stated that The Wizard of Oz has been viewed by more people than any other film in history and it has had more impact on audiences than any other film including "Pyscho" or even the original 1977 "Star Wars" movie.

These are just some of the highlights about that film...The information out there about it, real and myth, is mind boggling.

Very interesting information about The Wizard of Oz.....I didn't know any of it.

Anonymous

I watched a strange Irish movie called Lobster starring Colin Farrell and John C. Reilly.

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=418294 time=1629242557 user_id=1689
I watched a strange Irish movie called Lobster starring Colin Farrell and John C. Reilly.

I've never heard of it.

@realAzhyaAryola

When it comes to horror movies, I find that the slasher films are just too much for me. The paranormal ones are boring. The ones to me that are bone-chilling are the demented things people can do to one another. That's the scariest part to me, I think, especially when it is based on real events.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]