Replies: 10314
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 05:20:34 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Marvin

And the leftist bobble head word of the day is --- wait for it

Started by Biggie Smiles, July 30, 2024, 11:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caskur

Quote from: ''formerly'' on July 31, 2024, 12:23:35 AMWhy not steal the word "weird" from them? We've done it before, where do you think the phrase "fake news" came from?   :roll:

It came from Donald Trump.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Agree Agree x 1 View List
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

Quote from: Frood on July 31, 2024, 01:12:57 AMI'll stick with "retarded".

Retarded is really good but it wouldn't be adopted because it's a slur on the mentally handicapped.

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

How about some Australuan slang...

Galah. (Noun) A stupid or idiotic person; often accompanied by the adjective 'flaming'. Inspired by our very own native bird, known for flying into windows. "Nah mate, Johnno's a flamin' galah."
- Andy Warhol

Frood

Quote from: caskur on July 31, 2024, 01:42:10 AMRetarded is really good but it wouldn't be adopted because it's a slur on the mentally handicapped.

So?

There's many forms of retarded.
Blahhhhhh...

caskur

Quote from: Frood on July 31, 2024, 02:14:27 AMSo?

There's many forms of retarded.

There is a board owner with a retarded son that goes absolutely ballistic when you write Retard or tard or nettard. Remind me to tell you what happened when I went back to school in the 1990s.

- Andy Warhol

''formerly''

Quote from: caskur on July 31, 2024, 01:02:37 AMIt came from Donald Trump.
People like to think that, but that is in fact "fake news".

The phrase in fact dates back to the 1890's, gaining popularity in the early 1900's, first to describe sensationalist news reporting, though later on it was used to describe outright fabrications intended to deceive readers. This "old timey wimey" phrase fell out of popular use long before you or I were born, but was revived by First Draft News, a truth-seeking non-profit based at Harvard's Shorenstein Centre, well before President Trump's presidency to describe spammy, made-up stories on Facebook.

In February 2018, journalist Sharyl Attkisson presented a TEDx Talk titled "How Real Is Fake News?" where she claimed that First Draft News was the first to use the term "fake news" in its modern context. CNN and MSNBC ran with the unearthed term, whereupon Donald Trump swooped upon it and made it his own.

Needless to say, CNN, MSNBC and indeed much of the legacy media were "somewhat miffed" about this. In fact they went right off their chumps about it. That the Don could take their new (old) buzz phrase for him and popularize it at their expense got under their skin.

And here's the kill shot; they couldn't exactly demean the term as complete garbage, since they themselves had attempted to tar him with it first... and in doing so, they had weakened any attempt they might make to roll it back.

So yeah... getting called "weird" represents a golden opportunity to repeat the exercise. Guaranteed, if Trump picks it up and runs with it, in half a dozen years or so there'll be people like yourself who just assume he came up with the epithet first.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

''formerly''

There's been many names for it, I'm concerned with the snatching of a specific term (fake news) and the fallout that came from it.

An addendum to what I've shared in the post above; it is worthwhile to consider that if some total stranger starts causing you names in order to get a rise out of you, as like as not they are hurling the exact kinds of names that would get them all bent out of shape if someone was namecalling them with it.

Ask yourself this; how earth shattering is it to be called "weird"? I put it to you there are epithets far more egregious as to make "weird" a complete non-event.

Clearly the crowd calling us "weird" think otherwise, I would suggest because they would get all bent out of shape if it were them getting called weird. Their womenfolk because it evokes memories of all those times at school where they were excluded from the "in-group" and the menfolk because they are soyent effeminate cucks whose childhood defense against being bullied was to get to the cwy-cwy.

Likely they still do it as adults too. Meh, I could give a fuck; all I know is I wasn't bothered with the word as an insult before, why should I be bothered about it now that some weirdo has thought to apply it my way?

DKG

Quote from: caskur on July 31, 2024, 03:13:21 AMThere is a board owner with a retarded son that goes absolutely ballistic when you write Retard or tard or nettard. Remind me to tell you what happened when I went back to school in the 1990s.

Do you mean fash? She wasn't extreme.

She got defensive when a certain drunk would try and troll her about it her daughter late at night. Other than that, she never got upset over the use of the word.

caskur

Quote from: DKG on July 31, 2024, 06:08:42 AMDo you mean fash? She wasn't extreme.

She got defensive when a certain drunk would try and troll her about it her daughter late at night. Other than that, she never got upset over the use of the word.

No, an Australian horse Lady called Jody at Newstalkback1...
- Andy Warhol

Brent

Quote from: caskur on July 30, 2024, 02:02:50 PMNot being OK with sex trafficking, fentanyl dealing, rape and murder by illegal aliens... is weird

Giving licences to non citizens so they can vote Demon rats... weird shit man.
Quote from: caskur on July 30, 2024, 02:02:50 PMNot being OK with sex trafficking, fentanyl dealing, rape and murder by illegal aliens... is weird

Giving licences to non citizens so they can vote Demon rats... weird shit man.
That is so weird.
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List

Herman

Quote from: ''formerly'' on July 31, 2024, 12:23:35 AMWhy not steal the word "weird" from them? We've done it before, where do you think the phrase "fake news" came from?   :roll:
I like it.

caskur

Quote from: ''formerly'' on July 31, 2024, 05:07:50 AMPeople like to think that, but that is in fact "fake news".

The phrase in fact dates back to the 1890's, gaining popularity in the early 1900's, first to describe sensationalist news reporting, though later on it was used to describe outright fabrications intended to deceive readers. This "old timey wimey" phrase fell out of popular use long before you or I were born, but was revived by First Draft News, a truth-seeking non-profit based at Harvard's Shorenstein Centre, well before President Trump's presidency to describe spammy, made-up stories on Facebook.

In February 2018, journalist Sharyl Attkisson presented a TEDx Talk titled "How Real Is Fake News?" where she claimed that First Draft News was the first to use the term "fake news" in its modern context. CNN and MSNBC ran with the unearthed term, whereupon Donald Trump swooped upon it and made it his own.

Needless to say, CNN, MSNBC and indeed much of the legacy media were "somewhat miffed" about this. In fact they went right off their chumps about it. That the Don could take their new (old) buzz phrase for him and popularize it at their expense got under their skin.

And here's the kill shot; they couldn't exactly demean the term as complete garbage, since they themselves had attempted to tar him with it first... and in doing so, they had weakened any attempt they might make to roll it back.

So yeah... getting called "weird" represents a golden opportunity to repeat the exercise. Guaranteed, if Trump picks it up and runs with it, in half a dozen years or so there'll be people like yourself who just assume he came up with the epithet first.

Except I have heard Trump say weird a few times already.

No one actually owns the word.
- Andy Warhol

Quick Reply

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview