Replies: 10333
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:48:06 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Garraty_47

Pakistani man arrested over alleged Trump assassination plot

Started by Brent, August 07, 2024, 11:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

The alleged plotter, 46-year-old Asif Raza Merchant, was seeking to avenge the death of Qasem Soleimani, an Iranian terrorist and commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps who was snuffed out by an American airstrike at Iraq's Baghdad airport on Jan. 2, 2020.

Despite reports that this foiled plot prompted the U.S. Secret Service to increase security around Trump — having previously denied him adequate security for the two years leading up to the Butler shooting — it's clear from the agency's performance at the president's fateful July 13 rally, just one day after Merchant's July 12 arrest, they weren't in a rush to make meaningful adjustments.

Rep. Mike Turner (R-Ohio), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said in a statement Tuesday, "The failure of the Secret Service in Butler, Pennsylvania, is even more outrageous in light of suspected Iranian-backed assassins targeting former Trump administration officials, including President Trump himself. That day, the threat of sniper attacks was even higher than normal."

"I was previously briefed concerning the Iranian threat and the circumstances of Mr. Merchant's arrest and questioned then-Secret Service Director Kimberly Cheatle on whether she had reviewed the intelligence concerning the Iranian threat," continued Turner. "She confirmed to me that she read the intelligence and was aware of this Iranian murder-for-hire plot."

"Director Cheatle acknowledged she knew the threat and still did not provide President Trump the protection he needed, almost costing him his life," added the Ohio congressman.

caskur

I watched some of the secret service being grilled because not only do other politicians know this was a genuine attack on Trump but they are worried about being attacked too.

I am glad politicians are nervous.... maybe they'll think twice before fucking people over.

I never thought the attack was going on Trump, I thought it would be the opposition like Biden and/or Kamala.
Agree Agree x 1 View List
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

JOE

Another?

Something about Trump...he attracts all the crazies

Prof Emeritus at Fawk U

Watch what you say to me or I'll mind FAWK U.