Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Turkish Prez: Women Are Not Equal To Men

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2014, 11:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "reel"Kennedy did some useful things, but I believe you are probably right.

It would have been interesting if the USSR had accepted JFK's proposal to cooperate on space exploration.  We might be living in a very different world if that had been a joint effort.

Yeah, when Kennedy made that proposal the US was behind in the space race and that's the only reason he proposed it. It wasn't about mutual cooperation it was about not letting the Russian's beat us to the moon.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"So it would seem.  Disappointing that.  I don't remember the last time I liked one of your presidents.

Ditto that reel. We have quite a few discussions on why it is almost impossible to elect a good person to the White House.

cc

I agree  with the above in the US, but also have to add that I cannot recall a really good PM here.

Way back I thought Harper would be good but he is not. He isn't even in the play of what is going on and what is needed.

Recent example of gross negligence - Warnings of attacks on soldiers or cops ... .nada .... a cop run down for allah ... nada ... 2 solddiers left un protected at the tomb .... then the twit easily ran into the Parliament main door ..... .fkkkk

Current is 2 days of vet's money promised  ... the 2 days preceding the report on vet affairs  ac_rollseyes  ... like duh ...... (while all along for years money allocated was not spent on vets).  That's just this week.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"I agree  with the above, but also have to add that I cannot recall a really good PM here.

Way back I thought Harper would be good but he is not. He isn't even in the play of what is going on and what is needed.

Recent example of gross negligence - Warnings of attacks on soldiers or cops ... .nada .... a cop run down for allah ... nada ... 2 solddiers left un protected at the tomb .... then the twit easily ran into the Parliament main door ..... .fkkkk

Current is 2 days of vet's money promised  ... the 2 days preceding the report on vet affairs  ac_rollseyes  ... like duh ...... (while all along for years money allocated was not spent on vets).  That's just this week.

Same as the US, it is almost impossible to have a good PM. Our "democracy" is about winning the next election. In our system, that means pandering to assholes. The squeakiest wheels always gets greased. I am a big fan of liberty, but universal suffrage is just plain stupid.

cc

I hate to say it because I don't want it to be this way, but democracy does not produce good leaders.

What it takes to get elected precludes any possibility of getting a good person.

It gets good politicians, but NOT good people and most important, NOT good leaders

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"I hate to say it because I don't want it to be this way, but democracy does not produce good leaders.

What it takes to get elected precludes any possibility of getting a good person.

It gets good politicians, but NOT good people and most important, NOT good leaders

You're preaching to the choir CC. For these reasons, I am NOT a fan of democracy.

cc

BTW. I say that and I come from a family of VERY successful high profile politicians ...... cousin married to longtime Ontario Premier .... step father Member Of Canada Parliament and Shadow Cabinet leader ..... grandfather a mayor (ok, he was a good guy .. rare, but true in his case a gem ... but that was long ago) ... uncle top bagman for Brian Mul-rue-the-day-ney (uncle ran the idiot, called all the shots behind the camera .. it was sick sick sick) ..... cousin  Health Minister of Ontario (very recent - holds some cabinet position today - she's daughter of former bagman, but she's an ok gal)

There are more .... but with only a couple of exceptions, all were slugs. Again, for high positions, what it takes to get elected precludes  most all possibilities of getting a good person and a good leader.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"BTW. I say that and I come from a family of VERY successful high profile politicians ...... cousin married to longtime Ontario Premier .... step father Member Of Canada Parliament and Shadow Cabinet leader ..... grandfather a mayor (ok, he was a good guy .. rare, but true in his case a gem ... but that was long ago) ... uncle top bagman for Brian Mul-rue-the-day-ney (uncle ran the idiot, called all the shots behind the camera .. it was sick sick sick) ..... cousin  Health Minister of Ontario (very recent - holds some cabinet position today - she's daughter of former bagman, but she's an ok gal)

There are more .... but with only a couple of exceptions, all were slugs. Again, for high positions, what it takes to get elected precludes  most all possibilities of getting a good person and a good leader.

Wow, what an impressive family you have.

Since we have been in Canada, there are two people I thought were the exception to the rule; Preston Manning and Ralph Klein. Ralphie was a good man and a good leader, but Presto has sold his soul since he was leader of the Reform Party.

Anonymous

My husband has been to Turkey many times..

I was in Istanbul on a layover when we lived in Kazakhstan..

Very delightful city from what I saw and I wish I could have stayed longer.

reel

I rather liked Paul Martin.  He did some excellent work as finance minister, balancing the budget and dramatically trimming back the public sector and I think he would have been a good PM if he hadn't been smeared by the previous bunch.  He struck me as a practical businessman though, not a shrewd and slimy politician, so he probably didn't have much of a chance.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I rather liked Paul Martin.  He did some excellent work as finance minister, balancing the budget and dramatically trimming back the public sector and I think he would have been a good PM if he hadn't been smeared by the previous bunch.  He struck me as a practical businessman though, not a shrewd and slimy politician, so he probably didn't have much of a chance.

My family has the deepest respect for Mr. Martin for the reasons you mentioned. He was indeed stabbed in the back, by members of his own party. Another former Grit MP I really liked, John Nunziata has spoken openly about how subversive some Liberals were.