The best topic

Replies: 10994
Total votes: : 5

Last post: Today at 05:43:51 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

One Of The Worst Atrocities In Canadian History

Started by Shen Li, October 15, 2024, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 9 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Shen Li

One of the worst atrocities in Canadian history is not well known or taught and is rarely discussed.

For 80 years, between 1869 and 1948, 100,000 children were brought into Canada from the British Isles. Many of these children were taken away from their parents against their parents' will, put into large institutions or work houses in Britain and then sold and shipped to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

They were part of an immigration scheme under the promoted illusion that they were all orphans going to a better life.

Prejudice at the time by the governments of both Britain and Canada perpetrated the myth that the children were dirty, diseased and little more than garbage.

Several agencies, including Barnardo's and Maria Rye, were selling the children as indentured labourers to farmers and households across Canada. Bernardo's alone brought in 35,000 children, mostly to Ontario.

Many children died and were buried in unmarked graves. Many others committed suicide. If a child ran away from a farm, the police would catch them and send them back.

Households in Canada paid $3 per child. It was a big money-making scheme. It was human trafficking.

Money went to agencies and governments. Then the trafficked children were forced to pay for their passage to Canada when they reached adulthood. Many weren't paid for their work but if they were, it was one cent a day.

Despite all the hardship, a good many of the children grew up and were accomplished. More than 25,000 Home Children fought in the First and Second World Wars. Some survivors were decorated soldiers.

Descendants of Home Children include Ontario Premier Doug Ford and hockey media legend Don Cherry. Both their grandfathers were Home Children.

There is an estimated four million Canadian descendants of Home Children living in Canada. Many people don't know that they are among them.

Britain and Australia have issued apologies, but Canada has not.

There are only two surviving Home Children in Canada, one is 109 years old and living in Vancouver and the other is 101 and living in Ontario.
Informative Informative x 1 View List

DKG

Quote from: Shen Li on October 15, 2024, 11:11:06 PMOne of the worst atrocities in Canadian history is not well known or taught and is rarely discussed.

For 80 years, between 1869 and 1948, 100,000 children were brought into Canada from the British Isles. Many of these children were taken away from their parents against their parents' will, put into large institutions or work houses in Britain and then sold and shipped to Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

They were part of an immigration scheme under the promoted illusion that they were all orphans going to a better life.

Prejudice at the time by the governments of both Britain and Canada perpetrated the myth that the children were dirty, diseased and little more than garbage.

Several agencies, including Barnardo's and Maria Rye, were selling the children as indentured labourers to farmers and households across Canada. Bernardo's alone brought in 35,000 children, mostly to Ontario.

Many children died and were buried in unmarked graves. Many others committed suicide. If a child ran away from a farm, the police would catch them and send them back.

Households in Canada paid $3 per child. It was a big money-making scheme. It was human trafficking.

Money went to agencies and governments. Then the trafficked children were forced to pay for their passage to Canada when they reached adulthood. Many weren't paid for their work but if they were, it was one cent a day.

Despite all the hardship, a good many of the children grew up and were accomplished. More than 25,000 Home Children fought in the First and Second World Wars. Some survivors were decorated soldiers.

Descendants of Home Children include Ontario Premier Doug Ford and hockey media legend Don Cherry. Both their grandfathers were Home Children.

There is an estimated four million Canadian descendants of Home Children living in Canada. Many people don't know that they are among them.

There are only two surviving Home Children in Canada, one is 109 years old and living in Vancouver and the other is 101 and living in Ontario.
Interesting. Very sad too.

Prof Emeritus at Fawk U

But, but, but....

The British Empire kept the international peace, you ungrateful bastards!

I'm shaking my Union Jack in anger!
Funny As Fuck! Funny As Fuck! x 1 View List
Watch what you say to me or I'll mind FAWK U.

Herman

Quote from: Shen Li on October 15, 2024, 11:11:06 PMOne of the worst atrocities in Canadian history is not well known or taught and is rarely discussed.

Holy shit.

Shen Li

Quote from: Prof Emeritus at Fawk U on October 16, 2024, 04:20:28 PMBut, but, but....

The British Empire kept the international peace, you ungrateful bastards!

I'm shaking my Union Jack in anger!
They used their colonies and former colonies as dumping grounds.

caskur

What they did was send children (white slaves) to work in convents.

I read one story of a girl sent to a convent in Australia to do WW2 soldiers laundry. She never got paid. It was hard labour.

In real life I knew two men, one was from England and the other from Malta.

The guy from Malta got a payout from the Catholic church only about $4.5 thousand... basically not much at all.

The English guy went back to the UK became a builder and did well for himself. He was the youngest of 3 boys... he was the only one sent. When he was back in the UK PAINTING his mother's bathroom she was on a stool watching and he asked her 'why was I sent to Australia' and his mum just stood up and walked off. SHE wouldn't tell him why.

During the WW 1 & 2 All Efforts like the best food and clothes and arms went to the men... women were the land army doing all the men's jobs in factories and farms... men got steak... their families at home got offal... and rations.

The American blacks always go on about slavery but more UK KIDS were made into slaves than blacks ever were...

RIGHT up until 1975 children (babies) were forcibly taken off unmarried mothers in Australia... in New Zealand pregnant unmarried women were jailed and their babies taken off them.

The abortion laws in the USA bother me because I foresee a whole new generation of exploited unwanted children in the future.

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: Shen Li on October 16, 2024, 11:54:45 PMThey used their colonies and former colonies as dumping grounds.

Germans used gas ovens. They used the colonies to keep the kids away from the wars and getting bombs dropped on their heads.

When WW 3 starts, what do you think is going to happen to children then?

"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Shen Li

Quote from: caskur on October 18, 2024, 07:57:43 PMGermans used gas ovens. They used the colonies to keep the kids away from the wars and getting bombs dropped on their heads.

When WW 3 starts, what do you think is going to happen to children then?

They wanted them out of Britain because they were considered a problem.

Shen Li

Quote from: caskur on October 18, 2024, 04:51:07 PMWhat they did was send children (white slaves) to work in convents.

I read one story of a girl sent to a convent in Australia to do WW2 soldiers laundry. She never got paid. It was hard labour.

In real life I knew two men, one was from England and the other from Malta.

The guy from Malta got a payout from the Catholic church only about $4.5 thousand... basically not much at all.

The English guy went back to the UK became a builder and did well for himself. He was the youngest of 3 boys... he was the only one sent. When he was back in the UK PAINTING his mother's bathroom she was on a stool watching and he asked her 'why was I sent to Australia' and his mum just stood up and walked off. SHE wouldn't tell him why.

During the WW 1 & 2 All Efforts like the best food and clothes and arms went to the men... women were the land army doing all the men's jobs in factories and farms... men got steak... their families at home got offal... and rations.

The American blacks always go on about slavery but more UK KIDS were made into slaves than blacks ever were...

RIGHT up until 1975 children (babies) were forcibly taken off unmarried mothers in Australia... in New Zealand pregnant unmarried women were jailed and their babies taken off them.

The abortion laws in the USA bother me because I foresee a whole new generation of exploited unwanted children in future.

A lot in Canada were sold as indentured servants usually to farmers.

caskur

Quote from: Shen Li on October 18, 2024, 10:51:26 PMThey wanted them out of Britain because they were considered a problem.

And I explained the problem...

The UK has never been able to support their poor.

My husband went there in 1970 and no one could afford to eat meat for instance. He found someone's weekly meat that was left at a bus stop accidentally, chased the woman down to return it to her. He said she was practically on her knees in gratitude.

Of course children were a burden... they weren't made to have one... they had many... there wasn't any birth control like today.

See, the history of the UK is very stark and the fact your generation doesn't know this says a lot about our education systems.

You should read Jane Eyre and Oliver Twist for starters..
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: Shen Li on October 18, 2024, 10:55:56 PMA lot in Canada were sold as indentured servants usually to farmers.

In Australia it was paradise... people came here and never wanted to return and today, still don't however some do return only to come back again.
- Andy Warhol

DKG

Quote from: Shen Li on October 18, 2024, 10:51:26 PMThey wanted them out of Britain because they were considered a problem.
A lot of European colonial powers did that. Export their less productive citizens to their current/former colonies.

caskur

The mass of people only started getting educated in Germany in 1890s. Only the rich males got an education before that time... maybe a few royal ladies too.

Germany lead the way in social reform lead by Bismarck...

While people were being educated in Germany they were still pushing 3 year olds up chimneys to clean them in the UK.

The UK as far as I am concerned would have been disgusting for the poor...

They should have come to Australia instead of Canada. They would have survived in Australia.

- Andy Warhol

caskur

And don't forget what the repulsive communists did to the Cambodian people a few decades back...not over 100 years... just over a few years in the 70s.

https://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP4.HTM
In proportion to its population, Cambodia underwent a human catastrophe unparalleled in this century. Out of a 1970 population of probably near 7,100,0001 Cambodia probably lost slightly less than 4,000,000 people to war, rebellion, man-made famine, genocide, politicide, and mass murder. The vast majority, almost 3,300,000 men, women, and children (including 35,000 foreigners), were murdered within the years 1970 to 1980 by successive governments and guerrilla groups. Most of these, a likely near 2,400,000, were murdered by the communist Khmer Rouge.

The Khmer Rouge were fanatical communists who wanted to establish the most advanced and purist form of communism in the world. With military victory over the Lon Nol government in 1976 and absolute power thus in their hands, they hastily proceeded to construct their utopia. No actual or potential opponent was allowed to stand in their way; no violation of their draconian rules could go unpunished; no independent thoughts or groups could be allowed. No independent movement or property or enterprise was permitted. All Cambodians were as bricks in the hands of these supreme social engineers and human lives counted for little.

In Table 4.1A I present democide and war estimates from the sources and my calculations on these. Determining the number killed for 1970 to 1987 is especially difficult for Cambodia. Not only are central estimates often unavailable, but the parties themselves have made estimates for propaganda purposes that might well be too high or low. Moreover, scholars themselves have had strong points of view about the Lon Nol, Khmer Rouge, or Samrin regimes that could influence their estimates. Fortunately, for this one nation the population is small enough and the war-dead and democide large enough--over 50 percent of the 1970 population--that demographic analysis can discipline our assessment of the estimates and calculations on them.

For this reason I did a variety of regression analyses on available population estimates in order to calculate a range of population deficits. At the end of the Table 4.1B (lines 604 to 771) I list a sample of 167 population estimates collected for this purpose. First, I eliminated those estimates for the same period for which another source used the same reference.2 I also eliminated all lows or highs standing by themselves.3 Where there was both a low and high (as on line 712), I averaged them to get a mid-population figure and then erased the low and high. Next, I discarded all extreme high or low mid-estimates, such as that of 4,000,000 people in January, 1979 (from the Samrin regime--line 711).4 Finally, in the process of analysis I found the estimate for 1950 (line 605) created a counter-intuitive J-curve in population for this early period and had to be eliminated.

And according to people with eye on what is going on WW3 IS IMMINENT.

then what?
- Andy Warhol

Shen Li

Caskur, if you want to know more about this very dark chapter in Canadian history, you should read Orphans of the Living: British Home Children in Canada by  Lori Oschefski.
Winner Winner x 1 View List