The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Obama hails 'new chapter' in US-Cuba ties

Started by Romero, December 18, 2014, 03:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

QuoteMr Obama said Washington's current approach was "outdated" and the changes were the "most significant" in US policy towards Cuba in 50 years.

Cuban President Raul Castro said he welcomed the shift in a TV address.

The move includes the release of US contractor Alan Gross and three Cubans held in the US.

Wednesday's announcements follow more than a year of secret talks in Canada and at the Vatican, directly involving Pope Francis.

The US is looking to open an embassy in Havana in the coming months, Mr Obama said on Wednesday.

The plans set out in a White House statement also include:

-Reviewing the designation of Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism

-Easing a travel ban for US citizens

-Easing financial restrictions

-Increasing telecommunications links

-Efforts to lift the 54-year-old trade embargo

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30516740">//http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30516740

If the US isn't supposed to have relations with Cuba, why not countries like Saudi Arabia and Egypt?

Renee

Yeah, Obongo just sold out every Cuban American in the country.

Nice going, another foreign policy home run for the most inept incompetent admin in over 100 years. ac_toofunny
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

cc

No biggy - just moonbeams in action - Congress will kill it

Glad to see you like dictators being strengthened - Fall of the dictatorship was likely to come very soon as Russia, Venezuela etc ... those who put money into Cuba .. are close to broke now

Thanks to Mr Incompetence .. if he could have made  it stick ... , money would flow in and save Castro's ass = dictators ship forever - Democracy never

But, seems some hypocritical moonbeams like dictators and hate democracy  .. .when it suits their anti American agenda
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"No biggy - just moonbeams in action - Congress will kill it

Glad to see you like dictators being strengthened - Fall of the dictatorship was likely to come very soon as Russia, Venezuela ets ... those who put money into Cuba .. are close to broke now

Thanks to Mr Moonbeam .. if he could have made  it stick ... , money would flow in and save Castro's ass = dictators ship forever - Democracy never

But, seems some hypocritical moonbeams like dictators and hate democracy  .. .when it suits their anti American agenda

Oh my goodness cc li tarte, did Keeper pick that avatar for you?

cc

No. I have used it for a decade at Christmas time

I'll try to downsize but it requires finding a safe gif program

Here's my other one I use

A Horny  Dear

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"No. I have used it for a decade at Christmas time

I do remember cc li tarte and I remember the one you used for the new year.

My attempts at being funny equal fail.

ac_boring

Romero

Quote from: "Renee"Yeah, Obongo just sold out every Cuban American in the country.

Nice going, another foreign policy home run for the most inept incompetent admin in over 100 years. ac_toofunny
Quote from: "cc li tarte"No biggy - just moonbeams in action - Congress will kill it

Glad to see you like dictators being strengthened - Fall of the dictatorship was likely to come very soon as Russia, Venezuela etc ... those who put money into Cuba .. are close to broke now

Thanks to Mr Incompetence .. if he could have made  it stick ... , money would flow in and save Castro's ass = dictators ship forever - Democracy never

Yet America considers brutal and oppressive regimes like Saudi Arabia and Egypt as great friends and allies. Why Cuba but not them?

cc

Sorry - Instead of responding defensively,  I should have responded to the humor of "did Keeper pick that avatar for you" ... it was funny

I'm sure he will approve

cc

QuoteYet America considers brutal and oppressive regimes like Saudi Arabia and Egypt as great friends and allies. Why Cuba but not them?
Expected that very lame reply. Could have and should have written it for you

Scratch Egypt off your pathetically hokey list - SiSi was freely elected just as your hero's buddy Muslim Brotherhood islamist guy was. islam always fails without strong leaders which is why democracy ALWAYS fails there - see 57 counties for examples. We should not try to help islam as helping is always useless. islamics want hard core shariah and dictators are the only other option

As to Saudi, we cannot affect anything within islam ...  'sides, he likes islamists  - we can affect Cuba and help the will of its people - and collapse of the regime was close (as explained above) .

But O'traitor did not come in to help his country, he came to diminish it as all his efforts testify to - He did not come to help the world toward democracy, he came to do the opposite of what was in his country's best interests .. and now to do  the opposite of what was in Cuban's interest and desires

Romero

Hmm. I thought you'd be against the US being friends and allies with those countries.

Romero

QuoteRand Paul: Trade With Cuba 'Probably A Good Idea'

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul said Thursday the lengthy U.S. economic embargo against Cuba "just hasn't worked" and voiced support for opening trade with Cuba in the aftermath of the Obama administration's policy shift regarding the communist island.

Paul said in a radio interview with Tom Roten of News Talk 800 WVHU in Huntington, West Virginia, that many younger Cuban Americans support open trade with Cuba. And many U.S. farmers, he said, would back Obama's moves because Cuba would offer a new market for their crops.

"The 50-year embargo just hasn't worked," Paul said. "If the goal is regime change, it sure doesn't seem to be working, and probably, it punishes the people more than the regime because the regime can blame the embargo for hardship.

Paul noted that he grew up in a family that opposed communism and at first thought opening up trade with China was a bad idea. But he said trading with China was the "best way to actually ultimately defeat communism."

His father, former Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, has supported lifting the Cuban embargo.

"The bottom line is, even the Cuban community is kind of coming around on this," Sen. Paul said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/18/rand-paul-cuba_n_6348558.html">//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/18/rand-paul-cuba_n_6348558.html

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Yeah, Obongo just sold out every Cuban American in the country.

I see this in the same way as when the US switched diplomatic recognition of China from the Nationalists in Taiwan to the PRC on the mainland back in 1979. We all knew it was inevitable as we knew the US/Cuba cold war would not last forever, especially after the more moderate Raul took over. There were a lot of unhappy traditional Chinese back then who opposed the diplomatic U-turn as I don't doubt a lot of conservative Cubans feel betrayed by this change.

Cuba is not an Islamic shithole, so I have no problem with this, other than Cuba will be a lot more crowded and expensive place for Canadians to holiday in.

BTW, the Canadian government played a role in this inevitable fence mending.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1731666/u-s-cuba-seek-to-normalize-relations-after-american-released-from-prison/">http://globalnews.ca/news/1731666/u-s-c ... om-prison/">http://globalnews.ca/news/1731666/u-s-cuba-seek-to-normalize-relations-after-american-released-from-prison/

cc

It's al O'just blabber. Congress will never let it happen

cc

Quote from: "cc li tarte"
QuoteYet America considers brutal and oppressive regimes like Saudi Arabia and Egypt as great friends and allies. Why Cuba but not them?
Expected that very lame reply. Could have and should have written it for you

Scratch Egypt off your pathetically hokey list - SiSi was freely elected just as your hero's buddy Muslim Brotherhood islamist guy was. islam always fails without strong leaders which is why democracy ALWAYS fails there - see 57 counties for examples. We should not try to help islam as helping is always useless. islamics want hard core shariah and dictators are the only other option

As to Saudi, we cannot affect anything within islam ...  'sides, he likes islamists  - we can affect Cuba and help the will of its people - and collapse of the regime was close (as explained above) .

But O'traitor did not come in to help his country, he came to diminish it as all his efforts testify to - He did not come to help the world toward democracy, he came to do the opposite of what was in his country's best interests .. and now to do  the opposite of what was in Cuban's interest and desires
Quote from: "Romero"Hmm. I thought you'd be against the US being friends and allies with those countries.
Yet another dodge from what was on the table - doesn't that so obvious childish tactic embarrass you?

I sure don't need you trying to think for me, but anyhow ... I do not recall saying that I approved of the US being friends or allies with any countries.

Which brings up the question - Exactly WHAT countries do you think I approve of the US being friends or allies with?

Anonymous

Islam wants to supplant not adopt Western liberalism. If it's done by violence and fear, that's just a bonus.