The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

When to put her down

Started by Annie, December 30, 2014, 01:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Annie

That's what my hubby said too, her kidneys won't last much longer.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"That's what my hubby said too, her kidneys won't last much longer.

And then there will be other age related illnesses too Annie.

Annie

She's deaf already too so who knows what else is right around the corner :( Getting old sure sucks!
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Obvious Li

you need to send it to that big ginger beef restaurant in the sky....... ac_dunno

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"you need to send it to that big ginger beef restaurant in the sky....... ac_dunno

oh my

ac_wot

Frost

Quote from: "Annie"I'm wondering too if we take her to the vet to be put down, they will not only charge us for the visit but insist on doing a ton of tests to prove that she should be put down. I'm really not looking forward to this costing us hundreds of dollars.

My friend, her cat is 18 years old now, has tumors, and bleeding from the mouth.

The Vet wants $600 to do test to see if it has cancer. I said let the cat go, and end it's suffering, but she wont listen.

I told my sister to tell her to think about it, it's our own selfishness that wont let go of them.

I do feel the pain, i really do for them, but she should let it go.

You should if the cat is suffering, it's the right thing to do, but if like you said it's just a wee issue, and if you can stand it maybe keep her around.

Kidney failure isn't a good thing though.

So sorry if I sound harsh Annie.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"We have a dilemma regarding when to put an old cat down. Our female calico, she's 18 years old, deaf and is having kidney function problems. She can't hold her pee, she'll pee right where she's sleeping many times. We had a family vote and we are not all on board with putting her down. Our daughter says yes, hubby is undecided, son says no and I'm undecided. So I thought we'll give her a couple weeks of being on cranberry powder in her food and see if she recovers. It worked in the past when she was leaking.  She also poops under my daughter's bed but hasn't since we put boxes under so she cant . I'm also going to try a different littler box for her and different litter (maybe paper pellets) Last year she had a stroke and half her face sags a little, she's lost a few teeth so she eats mainly soft food now. She also cries and howls when she thinks she's alone.  ac_crying

I'm really torn, she's such a sweetheart of a cat, she loves attention and she's adorable. She's not in any pain so she isn't suffering.

Sorry about your cat Annie.

Annie

Aw, thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. It's a fact of life and it happens. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, at least not yet. She's deaf and I think has kitty alzheimers. Her poop looks fine, same as her pee, (no chrystals or blood, yet)

Annie

A decision has been made to take her to the vet tomorrow and have an evaluation but we all know she will need to be euthanized. Soo we will see if we can get her some pain meds (she is in pain I think) so she can have 3 more days for us to spoil her and love her just a little more and say our goodbyes. Monday she will be put to rest. Then the plan will be to have her cremated and we will have a little ceremony and scatter her ashes in the forest. It's so hard to have to do but it has to be done, she deserves a peaceful exit.  ac_crying  ac_crying  ac_crying

Annie

I talked to our son today and told him if the vet decides she's terminal will he be ok with putting her down. He asked why can't we try to save her like we did with hubby's cat a couple years ago. He had an abcess and had to have surgery a couple times to save him and then save his tail. Our son is a bit pissed off at me right now as this is his cat he rescued when she was 9 months. I told him we'll see what the vet says. But I have a feeling it won't be convincing enough for him. He's pretty stubborn  acc_angry  I think he gets that from me  ac_unsure

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"A decision has been made to take her to the vet tomorrow and have an evaluation but we all know she will need to be euthanized. Soo we will see if we can get her some pain meds (she is in pain I think) so she can have 3 more days for us to spoil her and love her just a little more and say our goodbyes. Monday she will be put to rest. Then the plan will be to have her cremated and we will have a little ceremony and scatter her ashes in the forest. It's so hard to have to do but it has to be done, she deserves a peaceful exit.  ac_crying  ac_crying  ac_crying

I hope you enjoy your last weekend with your kitty Annie.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Annie"I talked to our son today and told him if the vet decides she's terminal will he be ok with putting her down. He asked why can't we try to save her like we did with hubby's cat a couple years ago. He had an abcess and had to have surgery a couple times to save him and then save his tail. Our son is a bit pissed off at me right now as this is his cat he rescued when she was 9 months. I told him we'll see what the vet says. But I have a feeling it won't be convincing enough for him. He's pretty stubborn  acc_angry  I think he gets that from me  ac_unsure

FFS.....tell him if he wants a fucking say in the decision...get out his checkbook.......pay a thousand for vet bills for a palliative cat and then complain cause the govt. isn't providing special services for your challenged kids..... how very typically canadian.........a .22 shell costs about .05 cents these days .......cheers.......... ac_dance  ac_dunno  acc_devil

Frost

Be strong for the family, the cat deserves some peace :( It's the right thing to do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blue"Be strong for the family, the cat deserves some peace :( It's the right thing to do.

Annie seems to have made up her mind what she is going to do..

I think she realizes it is the best decision.

Frost

Yeah, and it is. I hate to here stuff like this, it hurts a lot.

My friend had hers put down after she got to thinking about the cat, it's the right thing for them.

Hope you are well Fashion Lady .