Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

When to put her down

Started by Annie, December 30, 2014, 01:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Annie"And she pissed on her bed again!!!!!%&#@!!!!

Does she do it knowingly or is it truly something she can't help. Sometimes as animals age they can develop seizure issues and lose bladder control through no fault of their own. When I was a child, we had a dog that when she got old she would have mild seizures or TIA's and would sometimes lose control of her bladder or bowels. There are medications for that but depending on the age, condition of animal and how well it can tolerate the meds, their effectiveness can vary.

I wish you lots of luck with this issue. I know how heartbreaking it is to have to go through stuff like this with an older pet.

This is something for Annie to think about.

Annie

Hey guys, thanks so much for your ideas and support. I'm still torn. She acts like she's ok and then she pees or howls when alone. I'm wondering if she's just old and has alzheimer's.  I've re started her on powdered glucosamine in her soft food, thinking maybe arthritis could be bothering her, it works well for our old male kitty and he's at least 18 years.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Hey guys, thanks so much for your ideas and support. I'm still torn. She acts like she's ok and then she pees or howls when alone. I'm wondering if she's just old and has alzheimer's.  I've re started her on powdered glucosamine in her soft food, thinking maybe arthritis could be bothering her, it works well for our old male kitty and he's at least 18 years.

I know you were planning on making a final decision this week, but maybe a little longer to see if this works.

Annie

I'm still trying everything I possibly can, I want to at least try to save her. She knows she's doing bad when she pees on her bed, I can see it in her eyes. I don't yell or get mad but instead I pick er up and cuddle her and talk to her and show her the litter box, a new litter box with different cedar pellets. I'm hoping she'll remember where it is and use it....
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"I'm still trying everything I possibly can, I want to at least try to save her. She knows she's doing bad when she pees on her bed, I can see it in her eyes. I don't yell or get mad but instead I pick er up and cuddle her and talk to her and show her the litter box, a new litter box with different cedar pellets. I'm hoping she'll remember where it is and use it....

I do too.

ac_smile

Annie

Well she hasn't peed on the bed for 2 days now! And her crying is a lot less. She comes upstairs more often and asks to sit on my lap. I'm gonna keep her on powdered glucosamine and cranberry, they seem to be working!  She doesn't cry as much now. I know the pain of arthritis so maybe that was it too. If this keeps working then I just saved a couple hundred bucks! Keeping fingers crossed though...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Well she hasn't peed on the bed for 2 days now! And her crying is a lot less. She comes upstairs more often and asks to sit on my lap. I'm gonna keep her on powdered glucosamine and cranberry, they seem to be working!  She doesn't cry as much now. I know the pain of arthritis so maybe that was it too. If this keeps working then I just saved a couple hundred bucks! Keeping fingers crossed though...

That is good news Annie.

Annie

It is! I don't want to take her to the vet and have them stick a needle in to get blood and the cost. Although if I had to I would. I payed over 1100 to save hubby's cat a year ago. Took some time to pay that off on my credit card but our son used his credit too. If I can take care of the situation at home then it's a win win :D  Oh and I know now why son didn't want to pay for the vet this time, he's moving out and getting a place with his gf/soon to be fiance.  He just bought a beautiful coffee table, and they are trying to get furniture etc together.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"It is! I don't want to take her to the vet and have them stick a needle in to get blood and the cost. Although if I had to I would. I payed over 1100 to save hubby's cat a year ago. Took some time to pay that off on my credit card but our son used his credit too. If I can take care of the situation at home then it's a win win :D  Oh and I know now why son didn't want to pay for the vet this time, he's moving out and getting a place with his gf/soon to be fiance.  He just bought a beautiful coffee table, and they are trying to get furniture etc together.

I am so happy for you Annie..

Maybe they will make you a grandmother.

ac_smile

Annie

One day yes. They plan on doing they're secondary education first. They're only 22 and 20 but they plan on it before being 30. They want to each have a career and financially ok when they decide to have kids.  She's in her second year of nursing and he's not sure what he wants to do. He wants to do many things, I told him to just pick one and do that till you want to switch careers and many people do it, it's totally doable in 10 years to switch careers if he gets bored lol. I want him to follow his dream of being a youth at risk worker, he's really good with talking to troubled teens. He did a lot of talking to troubled youth when he did security work.

Annie

Oh and they are going to get married before having kids but that won't be for a bit I think. They're gonna see how it is living together first lol They've been dating for 3 years now.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"One day yes. They plan on doing they're secondary education first. They're only 22 and 20 but they plan on it before being 30. They want to each have a career and financially ok when they decide to have kids.  She's in her second year of nursing and he's not sure what he wants to do. He wants to do many things, I told him to just pick one and do that till you want to switch careers and many people do it, it's totally doable in 10 years to switch careers if he gets bored lol. I want him to follow his dream of being a youth at risk worker, he's really good with talking to troubled teens. He did a lot of talking to troubled youth when he did security work.

Good for him and good for her..

Is your son working now?

Annie

Oh yes he's working full time, he takes every shift he can. He's a manager of a small store.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Annie"Oh yes he's working full time, he takes every shift he can. He's a manager of a small store.

Oh good for him Annie..

Work long hours when you are young.

Annie

Yep, when they're young and strong is the best time to instill good work ethics :)