News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Real Woman do you know about Canada's Blasphemy Laws?

Started by Anonymous, January 20, 2015, 08:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The ladies I work with were discussing the Charlie Hebdo cartoons today when it turned to the subject of Canada's blasphemy laws..

I was unaware Canada had a law about blasphemy..

Is this true and what does it mean for free speech, criticism and satire?

You seem to know a lot about legal matters, so I thought you would be someone I should ask

Thank you

ac_smile

RW

Hey Fash.  Thanks for thinking of me.

In Canada, we have a section in our Criminal code for "blasphemous libel". The last case brought before Canadian Courts was in the mid 1930s meaning it's rarely applied these days.  Hate speech laws cover this subject better in our time.  The test with blasphemous libel is that it must be intended to insult the feelings and convictions of the majority of people.

Criticism is a part of "fair comment" in most cases and satire is meant for humour, not insult.  Both are protected under section 2 of the Canadian Charter (free speech line).
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Hey Fash.  Thanks for thinking of me.

In Canada, we have a section in our Criminal code for "blasphemous libel". The last case brought before Canadian Courts was in the mid 1930s meaning it's rarely applied these days.  Hate speech laws cover this subject better in our time.  The test with blasphemous libel is that it must be intended to insult the feelings and convictions of the majority of people.

Criticism is a part of "fair comment" in most cases and satire is meant for humour, not insult.  Both are protected under section 2 of the Canadian Charter (free speech line).

Thank you very much Real Woman..

ac_smile

There was some misunderstanding among the ladies I work with about how far criticism of religion in general and Islam specifically could go.

cc

Against xianity, Hinduism, Jewish etc. etc. there is no limit  as to how far it goes (see most of Charly's toons for example), ... no pushback and very little static

The begged and too obvious next sentence need not even be said
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Against xianity, Hinduism, Jewish etc. etc. there is no limit  as to how far it goes (see most of Charly's toons for example), ... no pushback and very little static

The next and too obvious sentence need not be said

Maybe because people that are critical of them get to keep their heads. That and we don't have OPEC billions funding international Buddhist jihadists.

cc

Actually it's the wannabe supremacist thingy + Mo ordered no making fun of him or allah and followers actually take their orders seriously

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"Actually it's the wannabe supremacist thingy

It's cowardice and capitulation on our part. I agree with you, their greatest strength is our collective weakness.

cc

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"It sure is ... cue the usual peons

Sir Lance troll a lot, where art thou?

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_smile

There was some misunderstanding among the ladies I work with about how far criticism of religion in general and Islam specifically could go.

You can criticize any group as long as you don't incite hatred or hold the group up to riducule and contempt.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

What public interest does it serve to make fun of Mohammed?  That's the test.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Asian Pride

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_smile

You can criticize any group as long as you don't incite hatred or hold the group up to riducule and contempt.

Now I am confused again..

What and who defines what is ridicule and contempt?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Asian Pride"[size=200]Haw Soooooo![/size]

Hello Asian Pride, it's so nice to see you again.

ac_smile