Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

I don't have a degree which makes me vulnerable in hard time

Started by Anonymous, March 05, 2015, 09:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I was looking at the Alberta provincial government internal postings today during my lunch break..

There is a glass ceiling for people like me that do not hold a university degree..

There are far fewer openings than at this time last year, but that is not what struck me..

Most of them with greater responsibility than mine require a degree and or professional designation..

These positions are also less likely to terminated in the looming cuts to provincial employees..

Ghost said that a degree is almost a necessity for anything today and she was so right at least when it applies to the civil service..

I do not have a degree myself, but I will make any sacrifice to ensure my children do..

Life is so much easier when you are educated.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"I was looking at the Alberta provincial government internal postings today during my lunch break..

There is a glass ceiling for people like me that do not hold a university degree..

There are far fewer openings than at this time last year, but that is not what struck me..

Most of them with greater responsibility than mine require a degree and or professional designation..

These positions are also less likely to terminated in the looming cuts to provincial employees..

Ghost said that a degree is almost a necessity for anything today and she was so right at least when it applies to the civil service..

I do not have a degree myself, but I will make any sacrifice to ensure my children do..

honestly.......it is a sad state of affairs out there now....most of these degrees are completely useless and with a good deal of the ones that are meaningful the students have been completely indoctrinated and are beyond redemption anyway.....when i was still in the game i would not under any circumstances hire a BComm, MBA etc etc.....completely untrainable...and forget about the arts, humanities etc..those aren't even real degrees... i wish you luck if you are looking...however, i can't imagine any boss laying you off...... ac_beating

Anonymous

^Yeah, a sad state of affairs indeed. I'm willing to bet very few of these postings require professional degrees. A bachelor of farts in lesbian film studies would suffice, am I right? They are creating an artificial need for useless degrees. If they were like the private sector, they would hire the best person for the job. This means experience and ability, not some meaningless piece of paper. No wonder the Alberta government is in financial trouble. They don't even know how to hire the best talent.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I was looking at the Alberta provincial government internal postings today during my lunch break..

honestly.......it is a sad state of affairs out there now....most of these degrees are completely useless and with a good deal of the ones that are meaningful the students have been completely indoctrinated and are beyond redemption anyway.....when i was still in the game i would not under any circumstances hire a BComm, MBA etc etc.....completely untrainable...and forget about the arts, humanities etc..those aren't even real degrees... i wish you luck if you are looking...however, i can't imagine any boss laying you off...... ac_beating

You are so sweet Obvious Li.

ac_smile

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"^Yeah, a sad state of affairs indeed. I'm willing to bet very few of these postings require professional degrees. A bachelor of farts in lesbian film studies would suffice, am I right? They are creating an artificial need for useless degrees. If they were like the private sector, they would hire the best person for the job. This means experience and ability, not some meaningless piece of paper. No wonder the Alberta government is in financial trouble. They don't even know how to hire the best talent.

That still does not change the reality that a university degree is mandatory for many positions within the Alberta civil service..

It is also the best defense against the cuts to the civil service that are coming..

It is likely the same in other provinces and the federal civil service as well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Shen Li"^Yeah, a sad state of affairs indeed. I'm willing to bet very few of these postings require professional degrees. A bachelor of farts in lesbian film studies would suffice, am I right? They are creating an artificial need for useless degrees. If they were like the private sector, they would hire the best person for the job. This means experience and ability, not some meaningless piece of paper. No wonder the Alberta government is in financial trouble. They don't even know how to hire the best talent.

That still does not change the reality that a university degree is mandatory for many positions within the Alberta civil service..

It is also the best defense against the cuts to the civil service that are coming..

It is likely the same in other provinces and the federal civil service as well.

Of course it's the same in other jurisdictions. Government does not know how to hire the best, nor utilize the talent within their own ranks. They do not understand market based compensation either. Governments across Canada are not very good at maximizing the efficiency of their employees.

Lance Leftardashian

I feel sorry for Fashionista's plight. Though she did bring this on herself. By staying away from political activism she has enabled special deals for big corporations that do not see free education as a right. Her apath is why higher education is a privilege of 1 percenters.
I care, you pay

Renee

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"I feel sorry for Fashionista's plight. Though she did bring this on herself. By staying away from political activism she has enabled special deals for big corporations that do not see free education as a right. Her apath is why higher education is a privilege of 1 percenters.

http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/5dkqoh.jpg">
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Lance Leftardashian

Renee is another one that shills for big corporations, toxic polluters and Islamophobes. Some of us care about equality when it comes to access to education. Fashionista is getting her just desserts for a lifetime of blindly following the greedy, corporatist line that our failed capitalist system has spoon fed her.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Renee is another one that shills for big corporations, toxic polluters and Islamophobes. Some of us care about equality when it comes to access to education. Fashionista is getting her just desserts for a lifetime of blindly following the greedy, corporatist line that our failed capitalist system has spoon fed her.

Keep up this lefty troll routine and you WOULD GO FAR in the civil service.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Renee is another one that shills for big corporations, toxic polluters and Islamophobes. Some of us care about equality when it comes to access to education. Fashionista is getting her just desserts for a lifetime of blindly following the greedy, corporatist line that our failed capitalist system has spoon fed her.

Not a chance. He would have to leave his mom and dad's basement first.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

Not a chance. He would have to leave his mom and dad's basement first.

Yep, I don't think Fash needs to worry about this clown pushing her out of a job. Even the snivel service's standards are higher than that.

Anonymous

I cannot be a supervisor in my department without a degree even though I have done her job while she was on annual vacation..

My husband has decided to do residential wiring on weekends..

Depending on what cutbacks are in the budget for civil servants, I may look for a part time job too..

I hope I don't have to look for a full time one.

ac_unsure

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I cannot be a supervisor in my department without a degree even though I have done her job while she was on annual vacation..

Depending on what cutbacks are in the budget for civil servants, I may look for a part time job too..

ac_unsure

It is tough on the conventional side. About 2/3 of the the fleet of rigs in Canada are not working right now. This is peak winter drilling season for fuck sakes. It has been a blow to Southern Saskatchewan towns like Estevan and Weyburn. We're muddling our way through on the heavy side. We're not as susceptible to temporary price fluctuations up or down.

It will pick up again on the conventional side. It always does.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I cannot be a supervisor in my department without a degree even though I have done her job while she was on annual vacation..

ac_unsure

It is tough on the conventional side. About 2/3 of the the fleet of rigs in Canada are not working right now. This is peak winter drilling season for fuck sakes. It has been a blow to Southern Saskatchewan towns like Estevan and Weyburn. We're muddling our way through on the heavy side. We're not as susceptible to temporary price fluctuations up or down.

It will pick up again on the conventional side. It always does.

My husband's company had a lot of sales in Saskatchewan and North Dakota..

Not so much this year.