The best topic

Replies: 10391
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:25:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Re: Private Health Care Need Not Be Scary

Started by EU, January 22, 2013, 12:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

Privatized health care is a terrible idea. Why on Earth would we want anything like the US has?

Anonymous

Another topic where I can't really contribute much..

I do know my father-in-law had to wait what seemed like an excessive amount of time for necessary procedures..

I would not protest changes to health care if it reduces wait times..

Don't ask me to offer suggestions on what those changes might look like.

:oops:

Romero

Nah, Canadians are very happy with our affordable health care. Why would we want anything like the US where health care costs citizens and government twice as much? Health insurance policies cost families there over $15,000 a year. Obamacare has helped, but you would want nothing of that. Millions unable to afford insurance, those with pre-existing conditions would be out of luck...

Have you no heart? So many people - seniors, single parents, children, youth - would have no access to health care.

Romero

"If it's affordable then Obvious Li that means it has to change". Um, I'm pretty sure affordable health care is actually a good thing.

Japan has universal health care and all its hospitals are non-profit. What a great example. Health care costs twice as less as the US, spending grows at a much lower rate, and procedures and prescriptions are a fraction of what they cost in the US.

Life expectancy

1. Japan 82.73  

2. Switzerland 81.81      

3. Hong Kong 81.61

4. Australia 81.44

5. Italy 81.37

6. Iceland 81.28

7. France 80.95

8. Sweden 80.88

9. Israel 80.69

10. Singapore 80.60

11. Canada 80.54

40. USA 77.97

Gee, I wonder what the difference is between the US and all those countries on top? And the US spends two to three times as much!

Romero

Singapore has universal health care! Universal health care is clearly much more affordable!

Throw anything at me you want, but the simple and obvious facts remain: universal health care costs less, gives everyone access, and results in higher life expectancy. Fact.

Romero

We have choices here. You can either have quick, efficient, top notch and affordable health care or you can fly off to another country and spend tens of thousands of dollars.

Seriously, it's good that we have some privatization. It has its merits. We should always consider the private sector and think about how we can make our health care system even greater.

It's just that the Fraser Institute would totally have us have US-style health care. Even that probably wouldn't be good enough. Sometimes you sound like you want it too.

You can't imagine how bloated and bureaucratic privatized health care can be. Unnecessary restrictions and paperwork. Unnecessary procedures, scans and tests. Of course all of this unnecessary stuff conveniently costs much more than anything anywhere else. Even basic prescription drugs can cost up to ten times their market value!

Right here and right now, we Canadians can simply walk into a doctor's, hospital or clinic, get fixed up, spend a few bucks at London Drugs and go home. This isn't good enough? What more could we want? You and I have much better and more affordable health care than most people in the entire world.

Obvious Li

this type of thread is somewhat telling vis a vis our little Homero......even when there are untold numbers of (published) studies, articles and journals, including from the left, explaining in detail that Canada's health care system ranks at or near the bottom among western democracies...he still goes on and on about how good it is......anyone who has ever had to avail themselves of the system here will attest that it is broken and needs a major overhall..i suspect we will have to wait until one of his close relatives dies on a gurney in the hallway at VGH waiting to see a doctor until he will see the light....Hmmmm on second thought even that may not do it......

Canada;s health care system is badly in need of a parallel private provider system.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"this type of thread is somewhat telling vis a vis our little Homero......even when there are untold numbers of (published) studies, articles and journals, including from the left, explaining in detail that Canada's health care system ranks at or near the bottom among western democracies...he still goes on and on about how good it is......anyone who has ever had to avail themselves of the system here will attest that it is broken and needs a major overhall..i suspect we will have to wait until one of his close relatives dies on a gurney in the hallway at VGH waiting to see a doctor until he will see the light....Hmmmm on second thought even that may not do it......

Canada;s health care system is badly in need of a parallel private provider system.....

Good morning Mr Obvious Li..

When father-in-law got sick there delays, delays, delays, not that I'm saying that is the reason he passed away..

I would welcome with open arms changes to our system..

I'm not sure what those exact changes would be though.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"this type of thread is somewhat telling vis a vis our little Homero......even when there are untold numbers of (published) studies, articles and journals, including from the left, explaining in detail that Canada's health care system ranks at or near the bottom among western democracies...he still goes on and on about how good it is......anyone who has ever had to avail themselves of the system here will attest that it is broken and needs a major overhall..i suspect we will have to wait until one of his close relatives dies on a gurney in the hallway at VGH waiting to see a doctor until he will see the light....Hmmmm on second thought even that may not do it......

When father-in-law got sick there delays, delays, delays, not that I'm saying that is the reason he passed away..

i'm sorry about your father in law...there are untold stories of premature deaths in canada due to delays, sub standard care and just the general need for doctors to process huge numbers of patients to make "lots" of money..i dare say every canadian family has a story like yours....

to start with we need to debunk this private US system myth...i lived in the USA for many years and had many employees there..i know their system very well...it is without question the best system in the world and if you compare what the average person pays there for coverage, the taxes they pay against the taxes we pay for health care it is quite affordable....whever i had to use the system it was quick, efficient and top quality service...no waiting, no problems....and if any tests were required the doctor explained everything thoroughly and followed up with a written report mailed to my home....i was very very satisfied .......

you hear about all these 40 million americans without health care....from experience i can tell you that of my employees, the under 30 crowd rarely had health care....like young people everywhere they thought they were invincible and chose to spend their money on other things instead....however, they still showed up in the 40 million number...there was a lot of gaming the numbers fromt he left

cc

Quotethere was a lot of gaming the numbers from the left
You have just defined the left in its entirety, in on all issues. They have sites for them to copy / paste / post "conveniently gamed" numbers from.

The Quierkies of our world  auto-defend everything left like programmed robots. They believe what they want to believe despite seeing the opposite right in front of them.

My guess is in the situation you describe, him losing someone to Canada's vile broken system, he will still defend the system. It's ingrained in the beast ... like as though its heresy to speak against anything they see as social program.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

i'm sorry about your father in law...there are untold stories of premature deaths in canada due to delays, sub standard care and just the general need for doctors to process huge numbers of patients to make "lots" of money..i dare say every canadian family has a story like yours....

to start with we need to debunk this private US system myth...i lived in the USA for many years and had many employees there..i know their system very well...it is without question the best system in the world and if you compare what the average person pays there for coverage, the taxes they pay against the taxes we pay for health care it is quite affordable....whever i had to use the system it was quick, efficient and top quality service...no waiting, no problems....and if any tests were required the doctor explained everything thoroughly and followed up with a written report mailed to my home....i was very very satisfied .......

you hear about all these 40 million americans without health care....from experience i can tell you that of my employees, the under 30 crowd rarely had health care....like young people everywhere they thought they were invincible and chose to spend their money on other things instead....however, they still showed up in the 40 million number...there was a lot of gaming the numbers fromt he left

As usual I am somewhere in the mushy middle between yourself and Shen Li on one side and Romero and EU on the other. The left absolutely games the numbers, but they do not have a monopoly on that.

There are serious problems with American health care, but we are have growing problems in Canada too. There are ways we can improve and if that means the private sector has larger role to play that is fine with me.